cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct settings for phone using public mobile

kayakjock
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All,

I recently bought the US roam for 10 days add on as we were spending a few days in Maine travelling with another couple and just wanted to be able get in touch if necessary.

On arrival stateside realised it was not working so played ith phone settings (blindly) as I really have no idea what they should be set at. Bought my PM sim at Walmart and the guy got my phone going. After a few tries it worked could call us or canada, great!

Got home and found could not make calls at home, so played sme more until I could.
Now Public Mobile graciously gave me 1gb free data (I don't buy data relying on wifi if needed) so thought I should try it out but trying as many combinations as I can think of still no data unless I'm using my wifi or hotspot. So... hoping someone might be able to enlighten me to what the correct settings should be so below I have enumerated those that I have found and indicated which I currently have set.

Mobile data (off)
Data roaming (off)

Prefered Network Type
WCDMA/GSM pre-determined (currently selected)
WCDMA only
GSM

APN
Koodo SP sp.koodo.com
Koodo SP sp.koodo.com
TELUS SP spTelus.com (currently selected)
TELUS Services services.telus.com
Telus mobile sp.telus.com

Network operators
Choose automatically
Public mobile 3G (currently selected)
Freedom 3G
EXT 3G
Bell 3G
EXt 2G

My account says I still have the 1GB untouched, my US roam expired. I am on auto-pay.

Would really like to know optimum settings in particular for normal talk/text operation as data is less important to me but I have noticed changing these settings seems to effect areas of coverage as I previously noted my phone loose signal in areas where I would expect coverage.

Thanks for any assistance

Kayakjock

20 REPLIES 20

kayakjock

Just found out how to award bravo so hope you get it!

Thanks

@geopublic wrote:

@kayakjock  Awesome job! Glad it worked out. 👍🙂

kayakjock

Hi darlicious

Many thanks for the heads up on Bravos, duh I should have tried that Smiley Frustrated I thought that was just giving the users status and I searched elsewhere even googling "awarding bravos". I am not a complete luddite but when it came to phones I tried to avoid getting caught up in that using a flip phone for years then finally succumbed and moved to a smart phone when travelling south. Once upon a time I could actually program, remember FORTRAN? Perhaps I should change my handle to dinosaurMan Wink

Cheers

@darlicious wrote:

@kayakjock  Hey...been following this thread but not a techie at all so just kept my mouth zipped. Happy that it all got sorted in the end. As far as Bravos go just click on the thumbs up sign for anyone who you think helped out or contributed to your successful solution. Generally when reading other posts and threads you would give a bravo if: you liked what they had to say, helped out, you learn something new, supply a link....etc...I also like to do it if I get a good laugh or when I get advice on improving my community contributions. When it comes to marking a solution you should choose the member who directly solved the problem or was closest to it amongst everyone or the first one to supply the info. Although sometimes you figure it out on your own...you shouldn't choose yourself for the solution. The community is always happy to help and if youreva little like me with a tech deficit it's a great place to learn all about your phone....and how to navigate the pm online world. Now that your able...happy surfing!

@kayakjock  Hey...been following this thread but not a techie at all so just kept my mouth zipped. Happy that it all got sorted in the end. As far as Bravos go just click on the thumbs up sign for anyone who you think helped out or contributed to your successful solution. Generally when reading other posts and threads you would give a bravo if: you liked what they had to say, helped out, you learn something new, supply a link....etc...I also like to do it if I get a good laugh or when I get advice on improving my community contributions. When it comes to marking a solution you should choose the member who directly solved the problem or was closest to it amongst everyone or the first one to supply the info. Although sometimes you figure it out on your own...you shouldn't choose yourself for the solution. The community is always happy to help and if youreva little like me with a tech deficit it's a great place to learn all about your phone....and how to navigate the pm online world. Now that your able...happy surfing!

@kayakjock  Awesome job! Glad it worked out. 👍🙂

kayakjock

@geopublic wrote:

@kayakjock  Remove any sim from your device reset APN to default. Power down your phone insert the ROAM sim and add the PM apn. Don't worry about the MVNO entry. Select the APN that you created and manually select the PUBLIC network. Power down your phone insert the PM sim and power up what happens?

If you still can't get it to work then Google how to enable the developer options on your phone and how to turn on USB debugging. Also google how to install ADB on your computer.

Follow the instructions here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75157321&postcount=14

Hope this helps and good luck.

Hi again @geopublic,

Perseverance pays off!  Just had my eureka moment, it is working!  Yeah.   Turns out the real sticking point was the MVNO type value,  every time you try to insert that it quits so when you said forget it I was able to create new APN with the Roam mobility sim inserted, you can't do it without a sim inserted the Mobile network settings just grey out!

So I did reset to default for APN with the PM card inserted which got rid of a corrupt PM APN from an earlier try, then changed to Roam card used the + to create new APN which oddly does not appear so you can't select it when saved but when the PM sim is put back in VOILA it magically appears and I selected it, turned off wifi so I wouldn't get a false reading turned mobile data on and hit a few webpages and everything worked fine and double checking data usage I see I had used a few MB's of my free GB of data.   

So many thanks for your continued support and thanks also to chuck_grady for suggesting Roam sim.  Don't know how these Bravos work but i'd say your both deserving of one.

Cheers

Kayakjock

kayakjock

Hi geopublic,

I will certainly give that a try today. Thank you for your contiued interst in my problem.

Kayakjock

@kayakjock  Remove any sim from your device reset APN to default. Power down your phone insert the ROAM sim and add the PM apn. Don't worry about the MVNO entry. Select the APN that you created and manually select the PUBLIC network. Power down your phone insert the PM sim and power up what happens?

If you still can't get it to work then Google how to enable the developer options on your phone and how to turn on USB debugging. Also google how to install ADB on your computer.

Follow the instructions here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75157321&postcount=14

Hope this helps and good luck.

kayakjock

Hi again!

first off many thanks to Geopublic (Mayor/Maire) and Chuck_grady for their very informative suggestions as to how to fix my problem regatding setting for data on my Sky pro-selfie which Ishould again mention uses Android 8.1 which apparently has its own inherent problems when it comes to Public mobile.

Geopublic (and others) have listed the required settings and when I tried found out my phone was not allowing adding an APN so chuck_grady suggested this could be done if one used a Roam mobility card which which as it turned out I actually had on hand.

So I have been trying to do as suggested.

Sure enough when the roam card is used the + sign is present and you can insert a new APN (almost)  I have been doing this  until I'm blue in the face as it closes the app before all changes can be made, so then I tried entering some, doing save and trying to continue but no matter what you try you can never get to the MVNO it will always close at this point. So I put my Public mobile card (telus) back in and found it has saved a new APN for public but missing several settings which when I try to edit and save I get a message that says carrier does not allow adding new APN's and closes settings app..

So I am at a loss as how to proceed.

I have another question :  why is it if I pay for Public Mobile the sim registers as Telus and I have APN's for Telus but I am trying to create new for Public?

When I bought this phone I was under the impression it would work for Public Mobile which it does as far as talk/text is concerned but not data which to most people is probably a high priority but luckily has not been with me.

Appreciate all the help from you guys, great work  maybe Public can suggest an answer?

kayakjock

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

The public mobile APN settings is quite far down provided by @geopublic .

But here they are again.

Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F 

kayakjock

Yes there is an option reset to default under APN settings

Thank you all who responded but I have to go out now so will need to continue this at a later date.  So I am not ignoring anyone just have some other committments now and will come back online this weekend after reading all these posts again.

kayakjock

Take out the pm sim. Put in the roam mobility sim.

Create the APN as advised below. Take out the roam sim, put in the pm sim and it should work as far as I read.

Here's another example:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Phone-Works-with-Telus-but-not-PM/m-p...

kayakjock

Chuck_grady

I actually have a Roam mobility sim I bought last winter to visit Florida but never actually used because I could not get any answers from then about setting it up.  My phone has dual sim capability.   There is nothing active on that sim but I think they don't expire until after a year, not sure though.

thanks

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Or a roam mobility sim.

I believe Android 8.1 is the version that people have spoken alot about here as not allowing editing or adding apns. 

In past posts, people recommend using a freedom sim to create an APN. But I'll do some research for you.

kayakjock

Phone is Sky pro-selfie android 8.1

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

What OS are you using? Android or iPhone? What version?

kayakjock

Thank you for this, I think I am right in that you are saying create new APN but when I go to APN nothing is offered unless I click on an existing one and then only 2 choices offered discard or save but I can see faintly in background a list of the items you gave values for.  So do I discard one (which/any?) and hope it will allow me to reenter the data you suggest?  There is no mention of NEW or a plus sign at this stage. As you may have gathered I am not phone savvy.  Also should have mentioned earlier under Sim it says Telus.

dickwong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can eaily find solution by googling.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kayakjock wrote:

Hi All,

I recently bought the US roam for 10 days add on as we were spending a few days in Maine travelling with another couple and just wanted to be able get in touch if necessary.

On arrival stateside realised it was not working so played ith phone settings (blindly) as I really have no idea what they should be set at. Bought my PM sim at Walmart and the guy got my phone going. After a few tries it worked could call us or canada, great!

Got home and found could not make calls at home, so played sme more until I could.
Now Public Mobile graciously gave me 1gb free data (I don't buy data relying on wifi if needed) so thought I should try it out but trying as many combinations as I can think of still no data unless I'm using my wifi or hotspot. So... hoping someone might be able to enlighten me to what the correct settings should be so below I have enumerated those that I have found and indicated which I currently have set.

Mobile data (off) Turn ON

Data roaming (off) Doesn' hurt to leave this ON all the time.

Prefered Network Type
WCDMA/GSM pre-determined (currently selected) Correct
WCDMA only
GSM

APN
Koodo SP sp.koodo.com
Koodo SP sp.koodo.com
TELUS SP spTelus.com (currently selected)
TELUS Services services.telus.com
Telus mobile sp.telus.com

@kayakjock  This is were your problem is you need to create Public's APN entry and use that instead of Telus and/or Koodo.

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

If you need to know where to find the settings:
Android
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone
Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
OR
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

Network operators
Choose automatically
Public mobile 3G (currently selected) Correct
Freedom 3G
EXT 3G
Bell 3G
EXt 2G

My account says I still have the 1GB untouched, my US roam expired. I am on auto-pay.

Would really like to know optimum settings in particular for normal talk/text operation as data is less important to me but I have noticed changing these settings seems to effect areas of coverage as I previously noted my phone loose signal in areas where I would expect coverage.

Thanks for any assistance

Kayakjock

Hope this helps!

Need Help? Let's chat.