cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contradictory info by Mods about 647 area code

viralset
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey,

Wondering if anyone had this issue: I chose a 647 number on account activation and was unable to receive incoming calls only.

One of the mods found out this number belonged to another service provider (even though it let me chose the number).

Ok, understandable, as although it authorized me to choose this one, I costumized it.

So the mods now offered me some OTHER 647 numbers available on PM and told me to choose between them which one I wanted. I did, replied to the mods with my choice and ANOTHER MOD replied apologizing but those numbers were not available because 647 numbers DON'T BELONG TO PM.

I've been unable to receive calls for over a week now and this is getting very frustrating.

Does anyone know FOR SURE if I can get a 647 number from PM??

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

viralset

They did offer, and I accepted!

But then another mod replied saying they don't offer 647 and cannot guarantee it would work and I would be stuck with a non-working number for 30 days and it would be "my call"

@viralset I am sorry for your trouble, this is unfortunate.  

The system shouldn't have offered you a number that does not belong to PM.

If there are 647 number available at the new activation then may be ask the mods nicely if they can do a workaround for you since this was not your fault.

viralset

So the website returned the following:

Carrier:

TELE-MOBILE COMPANY dba TELUS Mobility

Is Wireless:

y

Which is the same info as on my GF's number, also with PM for a long time.

I would like your input. I believe it would work, no? I also sent this info to the mods, waiting for a reply now.

viralset

I have but 647 numbers are only available on sim activation, where you can just load more numbers...

This is how I got my number atm, but I modified and was accepted.

Have you tried changing the number yourself and see if you have 647 option available?

Just tried Change Number and was only offered 437 exchange for Toronto area. 647 may on longer be on offer from PM.

If you really want a different exchange try Virgin/Koodo/etc. and then port that number to PM. Likely cost around $25 to get it done.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

viralset

Thanks!

Amazing!

The numbers offered by one of the mods, 647 area code, is from Telus, which is the network we run on, correct?

It should work, right?

viralset

647 is one of the area codes for Toronto and GTA (also 416 and 437)

Public is sayingthey only guarantee 437 and if I want to take the risk with the number offeref to me BY A MOD, I could risk being lockeed with that number for 30 days without being able to receive calls...

This sounds wrong for many reasons...

1) can't they check (they're nubers offered by them, the mods)

2) If it doesn't work, can't they change the number before 30 days?

Very disappointed...

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@viralset sorry to hear about your frustrating experience.

I am pretty sure that you can get a 647 number with PM.

Unfortunately, you will have to contact the mod team again to have this resloved. 

Please try contacting them now or during the day, you may have a better luck contacting them in the morning or during the day.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It seems odd that multiple moderators are working on the same case and then coming up with totally different responses.  For number ownership, this site can be used to check which carrier has the number.  As for whether the number has already been assigned or not, only the carrier will be able to confirm. 

https://freecarrierlookup.com/

Is 647 the area code, or the exchange?  I'm sure Public has access to various 647 areacode numbers, but it's the exchanges that are limited by provider.

Whatever city you're looking for a number in may not have available exchanges within the 647 area code at this time.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That sounds frustrating.

I think the only way to know for sure is to contact the Moderator Team yet again.  Explain the whole story and ask for clarification.

Need Help? Let's chat.