cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly Dropping Signal - Dual SIM phone - OnePlus X

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hello Guys, 

I just noticed this happening to me during the weekend.  It happened several times on Saturday and Sunday.  My Public Mobile SIM would just drop the signal!  ( My Speakout SIM is fine )

Dropped Signal.png

What I have tried that doesn't work:

• Turning "Airplane Mode" on and off.  Speakout Reconects.  Public Mobile stays without service.
  • Since my phone is dual sim, I turned off the PM SIM and back on , no go.
  • Rebooted the phone, no go.

What seems to work:

• Switching data Services to my Speakout SIM and then back to Public Mobile.
  • Rebooting the phone does not work, but turning it completelly off and then back on works.

What I have tried to resolve the problem:

• Made sure the APN Settings is correct:  sp.mb.com
  • Preferred Network mode: LTE
  • Re Scanned Network Operator and selected Choose Automatically.  It chose: TELUS 4G (PM does not appear in the list)
  • I have done a phone factory reset! ( what a pain ).

Sadly the issue keeps happening.

I have noticed that this happens more often when I am on the move, it seems to me that when the cellphone tries to connect to another tower it can't.  It is not a coverage issue since I do have a work phone in the TELUS network and it does work flawlessly.

Here are some screenshots:

APN.pngNetworks.pngSignal Strenght.png

Signal strenght shows 0dBm.  But if I turn off my phone and back on then its fine.  Also my Telus phone is fine.  Its like the SIM is not registering in the network.

Any ideas guys??

Thank you,

JL

21 REPLIES 21

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the update, @jairolevi.  I'm sure it will help some other members out!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Yay! Another happy customer, thanks to the community! 🙂

imm1304

You're welcome and I hope you enjoy your cool OPX to the fullest.  

Happy to know that we were able to work this out with you.  

jairolevi

Hello Guys,

I am happy to report that this issue has been resolved.

It has been almost 3 days without any issues 🙂

Thank you all for your help, this Community is Awesome!

JL.

jairolevi

Of course!

I just want to test to confirm its resolved first.

Thank you,

JL.

srlawren

Please keep us posted, @jairolevi.  The OnePlus X is a fairly popular handset so others may encounter this as well.  Thanks!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Thats a good idea.  I also keep a spare sim or two and keep giving away to anyone who needs one.  

Just a small effort on the customer's part and PM can be made to work amazingly well.  Too bad for those who are hesitant. 

imm1304

You're welcome @jairolevi!

I hope this is sorted for good now.  Enjoy your dual sim capabilities and the amazing LTE data from the PM sim.  🙂  

jairolevi

Oh yes, I do have a spare SIM.

I usually keep one spare to either troubleshoot or refer friends easily (but so far they are really hesitant, non-techsavvy, brainwashed people lol )

Thank you,

JL

@imm1304 wrote:

To be on the safe side, just order another sim card, its free anyways.  The only problem is that it will take several days to get the new sim card.  

jairolevi

I think this might be the issue....

@imm1304 wrote:

Eventhough you do not have data on Speakout, I did notice in your screenshots that Speakout is connected to a 3G network.  This leaves only a 2G slot open for PM to connect to.  As we all know, PM doesn't have a 2G network.  Hence the "Emergency Only.." message.  

Try and force Speakout down to 2G by letting PM sim connect first.  

I will re scan carriers for Speakout and select 2G, in that way it will allow PM to use 4G.

Alternatively I think that swapping the cards might work because the phone always registers SIM 1 a few seconds before registering SIM 2, so that might work too.  PM would register first on 4G, then Speakout on 2G.

Here are both screenshots for reference  -  Disconnected / Connected:

Screenshot_2016-04-19-10-47-11.pngScreenshot_2016-04-19-11-09-08.png

Thank you!

JL.

EDIT: I found an old screenshot where this was working fine with the SIM in the original slots.  It shows SpeakOut in 2G and PublicMobile in 4G.

I feel confident this is the issue, I will test in the original slots forcing SpeakOut to connect to 2G so this should leave 3G and 4G available to PM.  I will report back. 🙂

To be able to see the "Preferred Network" menu for my SpeakOut SIM I had to disable the PM SIM ( this moves data services to SIM 1 ).  Selected 2G and then enabled back PM and moved Data to SIM 2.

Screenshot_2016-04-19-11-45-04.png

EDIT 2: It has been almost 3 days without any issues! 🙂

Thank you all for your help!

This Community is Awesome!

imm1304

To be on the safe side, just order another sim card, its free anyways.  The only problem is that it will take several days to get the new sim card.  

imm1304

Eventhough you do not have data on Speakout, I did notice in your screenshots that Speakout is connected to a 3G network.  This leaves only a 2G slot open for PM to connect to.  As we all know, PM doesn't have a 2G network.  Hence the "Emergency Only.." message.  

Try and force Speakout down to 2G by letting PM sim connect first.  

jairolevi

Hello @imm1304

I do not have data on my Speakout SIM so this shouldn't apply, am I getting it right?

Thank you,

JL

@imm1304 wrote:

So.  I got curious and did some more reading into this.  

My understanding is that this dual sim has limitations.  If one sim is connected to 3G/4G then the other sim can only connect to 2G.  Try and work within this limitation and see if this resolves your problem.  

In your scenario, you should disable speakout sim, connect PM sim to LTE then enable the speakout sim.  I assume that speakout does have a 2G network connectivity because its on Rogers GSM.  

imm1304

So.  I got curious and did some more reading into this.  

My understanding is that this dual sim has limitations.  If one sim is connected to 3G/4G then the other sim can only connect to 2G.  Try and work within this limitation and see if this resolves your problem.  

In your scenario, you should disable speakout sim, connect PM sim to LTE then enable the speakout sim.  I assume that speakout does have a 2G network connectivity because its on Rogers GSM.  

jairolevi

Funny thing..

I swapped the sims, PM would NOT register even after a reboot, complete shutdown and power up, reset APN Settings, re scanned networks... nothing.  All I would get is this...

Screenshot_2016-04-19-10-47-11.png

To make register I had to switch data from PM to Speakout and then switch it back to PM.

Have you seen this kind of stubborness happen in a PM SIM ?  Would this be a SIM issue?

Thank you,

JL.

jairolevi

I saw that one too.

That is why I did a factory reset on my phone, someone fixed it like that.

The weird part is that this does not happen with my Speakout or Tbay sims, it only happens with my PM Sim.

JL

imm1304

Looks like its unfortunately bothering a lot of people as this discussion on their website suggests:  https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-2-losing-data-connection-getting-exclamation-mark-but-onl...

Post 11, someone fixed it by replacing the sim card.  Post number 23, someone went to the APN settings and reset to default and that resolved it.  But overall, there isn't any conclusive fix.  

jairolevi

Good Idea, I'll switch them and see how it goes...

I'll let you know,

Funny thing is that this never happened before with my Tbay SIM or my Speakout, that is why I am inclined to think its a registration issue instead of a phone/hardware issue.

Jairo.

imm1304

Hi @jairolevi!

A simple suggestion just in case you have not tried it yet:  switch the sim cards.  Move PM to sim 1 and Speakout to sim 2.

Edit:  which phone is this?  There may be phone hardware and/or firmware specific fixes to search for in places like the xda developers forum.  

Mayor / Maire

@jairolevi I would try the following two things:

(1) Try putting your PM SIM in another phone (possibly your work phone) to see if it'll get coverage. This will help determine if it is a phone or a PM issue.

(2) Assuming this turns out to be a device issue, and not a PM service issue, try swapping the Speakout and the PM SIM cards. Just in case there's something in the SIM slot possibly causing the issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.