cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering joining, motivate me!

Markmark2112
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am considering joining public mobile. I would be motivated to join today if fees could be waived. I want a free sim card, Just my regular monthly prepaid plan fee. If this request is feasible please respond. 

I have 3 sim cards already, only one works.

I feel it should be the providers responsibility to furnish this hardware.

I am paying my bill up front right?

I have been happy with my current providers service. And really am curious about the functionality of this new system, albeit cynical. 

42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Triguy : The OP is gone. He decided this place wasn't for him.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can save some money from your bill.  There are numerous ways to save.  Get a referral code and save $10.  Setup autopay and save $2.  Also refer friends and family and get $1/referral.  If you participate in the community forum then you can receive a reward for up to $15 every 30 days.  Also PM gives out freebies from time to time.  They recently gave 2GB data add-on and 500 international long distance minutes.  You can pick up a sim from https://canadiancellsupplies.com on sale currently for $1.99.  Check the announcements section for any promos.

@BearFBI wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Screenshot_20201224-152452~2.png

@darlicious Whats the Community Workshop Thank You Data Addon-On ?

@BearFBI 

That was from a Community Workshop some very active members were asked if they were able to participate in late spring 2020.

@Jb456 

No that would be the Community Interview Compensation listed above.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

@darlicious Whats the Community Workshop Thank You Data Addon-On ?

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

Evil overlord RFC aka Rogers/Fido/chatr just ask @CFPartDeux  I confuse and/or confound him all the time.

Oh, for sure..... here I thought Rogers had bought out the Colonel, and renamed it Rogers Fried Chicken! 😜

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 

Thanks for the quick draw....on the flyer and it should be standard across western Canada.

@Markmark2112 

1. If you activate in store that will be count as a visit. Up to you how you pay going forward. You only need to register the card to earn the $2 reward. My roommate had my stolen credit card registered for 8 months til he finally replaced it. He just paid with vouchers.
  2. Okay and thats too bad your kind of funny..?
  3.  Me too  and   me too 
  4. Sounds like my twice monthly ritual trying to sort out the fraudulent billing by fido for the bfs phone that  i stupidly co-signed for.....
  5. Me too!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Markmark2112 

December 26th to January 1st 2021 boxing week sale at London Drugs. I pulled this from RFD so hopefully it applies to Alberta also. I don't know we don't have them near Montreal.

Have to activate in store.

Screenshot_20210102_035737.jpg

  

https://www.redflagdeals.com/flyers/london-drugs/boxing-week-sale-dec-26-to-jan-01-2021-173933/

Markmark2112

I called them twice. Talked twice to two employees. The one put me on hold while he checked his email to look into my claim of a discount of sorts. He said there is none.

I ended up going in and purchasing. a sim. 

I had only been told by a PM enthusiast that western canada London drugs are giving free Sims with account set up.

I only purchased the sim planning to set it up on line away from the dirty covid counter top at the drug store. New normal I guess.

Do you know where I could obtain this flyer?

I am in Alberta. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Markmark2112 

You know....seeing as you paid for a sim card today i would go back to london drugs and "complain" that the staff didnt tell you about the promo they had on pm activations.(Or did they?) Had you "known" you would have activated yesterday in store! See what they offer.....

The friend I helped activate at LD on Dec 31st....I had to pull the flyer and show the sales person their own promotion....but their activations are always quick and painless.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Markmark2112 

Each month my renewal(s) come up and i still think i have to pay....but  dont....the brain is still not computing the free concept. I currently have one of several kelloggs* visa gift cards registered to my account(s) and 4 of the ones I manage.

Are you a LDXtras member? LD sells $10 and up pm vouchers. Each $10 voucher bought on a separate day counts as a visit. Every 10 visits nets you a $5 coupon that can be used on almost anything in store including a pm voucher. Which in turn will count as a visit. You also get a $5 coupon on your birthday.

Or if you have a koho account you csn use that for autopay and earn 2.5% cashback on your pm payments as they are retail partners. No one has tested the theory of buying pm vouchers with a koho card to see if you can double dip.

Evil overlord RFC aka Rogers/Fido/chatr just ask @CFPartDeux  I confuse and/or confound him all the time. Just wait til I can point out each character from Demolition man here on the community!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Markmark2112 

Not ready to pull the trigger? Still mesmerized by the evil overlord RFC? I opened my two accounts in August and September of 2019. The first account started on the $40 plan settled on the grandfathered $10 50/50 plan has been free since my 3rd "month". Bought the $5/500 add on and 2gb data add on (4G LTE). Everything else has been free or "earned" by helping out one way or another for pm. Also won a $50 amazon giftcard. 

This account activated on the RBC promo $10 off/6 months +5gb data add on $40/5gb plan and eventually settled on the $15/250mb plan. Nothing extra bought for this account (or won.)

Screenshot_20201225-203941~2.pngScreenshot_20210101-234222.png

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Markmark2112 That's not a discount code. It's referral code.

Markmark2112

I purchased a sim card there. No get stacks. Cost me ten bucks. Now I have 4 sim cards. The 3 probably still work(any takers?)

However a fellow PM enthusiast provided me with a discount code. That appears to refund ten bucks back to my account once initialized.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Markmark2112 

Did you end up catching the last of the london drugs deal? Stackable with the 5gb data add on and the second 30 days free promo its probably as good as its going to get all year even without the holiday gifts.

The $25 plan would cost you $26.25 (incl gst) :

1st : $25/ credits $10 LD credit+$10 referral credit+$25 free 30 days=$45+$4(2×$2autopay)=$49

$49-$25 (2nd)=$24+$2 autopay=$26-$25 (3rd)=$1+$2 autopay=$3+$22(you pay for 4th/30days)

$25+tax nets a $49 credit (+$4 a/p)=$53+5gb data add on(+$=^$75)=$128+$10 free sim=$138

Not bad turning $25 into a $138 value (the more the merrier gifts were worth $45=$183 total)

I stay for the rewards....two accounts $10+$15=$25 - $28 (total rewards)=$3++(credit).aka free!

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Markmark2112 

@Markmark2112 wrote:

I am considering joining public mobile. I would be motivated to join today if fees could be waived. I want a free sim card, Just my regular monthly prepaid plan fee. If this request is feasible please respond. 

I have 3 sim cards already, only one works.

I feel it should be the providers responsibility to furnish this hardware.

I am paying my bill up front right?

I have been happy with my current providers service. And really am curious about the functionality of this new system, albeit cynical. 

Read the many reviews online, it will convince you, to switch to Public Mobile 

Markmark2112

That is exactly what I was thinking as I looked at the registration page.

A safe plan to terminate the agreement...if necessary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A rare sporadic quirk around here is that even after porting, some charges have still continued on. Rare but often enough to mention. So it's of course suggested to toggle off autopay and remove the payment card before leaving here. But that's off in your future.

Every company has something goofy non-sensical that one needs to wind their way through.

But in the meantime you can open those power windows and listen to the permanent waves. 🙂

Markmark2112

I will certainly use every last bit of data I purchased before I depart.

Regards

@Markmark2112 wrote:

It was a contract buy out with virgin. Took months to receive the repayment cheque.

So it was a sizeable sum. That was the last cellular contract I submitted to.  Been prepaid month to month since. Has many advantages. Leverage to get the best rate being my primary interest. Not a super technophile here. A $200 refurbished ebay LG is as useful to me as the finest Huawei offering.

You should know that since Public Mobile is a prepaid carrier, there will be no refunds. If you add money to your account and then port your number out to another to another carrier in the future, any funds in your Public Mobile account that haven't yet been used up will be forfeited.

Markmark2112

It was a contract buy out with virgin. Took months to receive the repayment cheque.

So it was a sizeable sum. That was the last cellular contract I submitted to.  Been prepaid month to month since. Has many advantages. Leverage to get the best rate being my primary interest. Not a super technophile here. A $200 refurbished ebay LG is as useful to me as the finest Huawei offering.

@Markmark2112  No because with  PM there are never overcharges. You simply pay for what you want and that's what you get.

It's not like plans that are pay as you go. Where you put $20 on your account and get debited each time you make a call or send a text.

With PM if you want let's say the $25 plan. Which without auto-pay is 500mb of data, unlimited Canada wide calling. $23 with auto-pay and a 500mb auto-pay data bonus bringing data to 1 gig per 30 days.

So you want the $23 plan. You pay for the plan PLUS provice taxes. Now you're good for 30 days. If you use up all your 1 gig of data than your data stops completely. Your options are to renew plan early via mods, buy a data add-on, change plan in self serve to one with more data (no refund on unused days from old plan that you already paid for) or simply just use wifi till your plan renews.

If you accidentally dial a number in another country don't worry. No charge as the call won't go through. You need add-ons to make international calls and if you didn't buy one it won't work and no charge to you as it will not work.

If you go to USA don't worry about roaming charges it will not work unless you buy a roaming add-on.

Due take note the only place besides Canada your plan will work is with a USA roaming add-on. All other countries PM will not work.

End result is never surprise fees or deduction with PM.

One thing to note if you join. PM system cannot apply the $2 auto-pay when you sign up. You'd have to pay full price of the plan that you choose plus taxes. If you do add auto-pay. But within 72 hours a manual credit of $2 will be given to your account (usually with the referral $10 credit) within 72 hours of activation. So you'd still get the signup auto-pay reward of $2 and it will go towards your next payment.

@Markmark2112 wrote:

Another provider burned me on prepayment. They removed funds for debt that had already been paid.

That was a massive head ache for me. And the last I patroned that disorganization.

Have you heard of this problem occurring with pm?

If you speaking about Chatr, they charge the full amount that has been set up for automatic payments regardless of the current account balance or the amount needed to be topped up to renew the plan.  Public Mobile only charges what is needed during the autopay process. Public Mobile refers to this as dynamic autopay.

Markmark2112

Another provider burned me on prepayment. They removed funds for debt that had already been paid.

That was a massive head ache for me. And the last I patroned that disorganization.

Have you heard of this problem occurring with pm?

@Markmark2112 

Public Mobile support is all online no call center. Id suggest if you have any questions to post on the forums here and not try the chat bot. The bot can be annoying & frustrating lol. It would likely direct you back to the forums here anyways.

Is there anything we can help you with at the moment?

As for PM. I think you may enjoy it once you get the hang of things. It's pretty straight forward. Pick a plan. Pay it every 30 days. 

Some tips with PM.

The renewal system is somewhat outdated and you may get confused at first renewal. But I'll explain below and you'll know not to worry.

At Payment due date if you log into your account you may get worried seeing all different statuses. (It's suggested not even to log in to check as long as your service is working.

You account will go as followed.

• Active to Expired
  • Expired to suspended with this note at the top of page.
  • Screenshot_20200205_002706.jpg

• Once system collects the funds and processes everything in the back end then your account will go from Suspended back to Active with the next payment due date showing.

If service is working with no issues just ignore everything in your account and let the system do its thing.

Another tip. You can add auto-pay to receive a $2 reward per 30 days. You do NOT have to let the system charge your card at payment due date. You can always manually add funds before hand. You can even use top up vouchers and you will still get the $2 auto-pay reward as long as your account is set up for auto-pay.

A reason why people manually add funds a few days before payment is it can happen that autoplay fails and then your service will stop. Not saying it happens all the time nor does it happen to everyone. Someone could be with PM for years with no issues and someone could be with PM for a few months and have an autopsy issue.

Some people avoid this issues by doing a manual top-up when they get their payment reminder text. A few days before your payment is due PM sends you a text from 611 reminding you that your payment is coming up. It looks like below.

Screenshot_20210101_232556.jpg

Some when they get that text log into their account and add money to the account for their plan. 

Any other questions you may have feel free to ask.

@Markmark2112 wrote:

I'm with chatr now. The online app is a complete frustrating joke.

I am looking at this platform seeing a significant difference. Hopefully the grass is greener here...there is no human customer service to keep on your phone line for hours, refunding a mistake in billing...hehehe I've done that a fee times when I had more time than money 💰

If you're planning on moving your phone number over from Chatr, call customer service at Chatr to get your account number. While it's possible to do a number port using the IMEI, the carriers generally prefer that the account number is used.

Markmark2112

I'm with chatr now. The online app is a complete frustrating joke.

I am looking at this platform seeing a significant difference. Hopefully the grass is greener here...there is no human customer service to keep on your phone line for hours, refunding a mistake in billing...hehehe I've done that a fee times when I had more time than money 💰

gatorgirrrl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It's only $10 for a Public Mobile SIM and I've been really happy since switching from Virgin. 

It's month by month and very affordable. I get twice the data for $15 less than on Virgin. 

Markmark2112

@LurganIeUkim doing this to save a buck...other people's optinion of me is none of my buisness....

Need Help? Let's chat.