cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Public Mobile

martymendes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Everyone,

I've been shopping around for a plan with a bit of data and came across Public Mobile. I'm interested but also a little worried because I've seen mixed reviews. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make PM work for me. I can see that Autopay is problematic for many people so I would avoid that. Any other tips or advice? Thank you very much for your help.

24 REPLIES 24

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@martymendes 

If you're looking to activate on Public Mobile... consider this promotion if you're looking to get the $35/mo+ plan: 2GB of monthly free data.  Visit the link to register with your email address.  Then, activate with the same email address + promo code (2GBBONUS).  🙂

Depending on your preference, vendor/suppliers like Canadian Cell Supplies (https://canadiancellsupplies.com/) can get you a cheap SIM card ($5) or activate your plan for you for a FREE SIM card and use any referral codes, promo codes, etc too that can save you a few more $$$.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/pd1-9671281201?cmp=SOC_Public-Mobile-Mobility-Performance-Always-O...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@martymendes wrote:

@Anonymous please send me your referral code and I would be happy to sue it.

Sent. Very nice. Thank you.

Edit: Sorry. I didn't see your previous reply until now. I was doing something else. I know. Hard to believe. 🙂 And yes very nice that people seem to be complying with that rule.

martymendes

@Anonymous please send me your referral code and I would be happy to sue it.

BlueB

@martymendes wrote:

Actually, no a single person sent me their code. Since you brought it up, I would be happy to use yours if you send it to me. Thanks.

That's honourable for you to ask, and also that others are obeying the rules.  🙂  We're not sure who you directed your message to as a few of us have been active on this thread.  You can always designate a post by typing the @ sign, and a popup will allow you to select who you're targeting.  🙂

@martymendes wrote:

Actually, no a single person sent me their code. Since you brought it up, I would be happy to use yours if you send it to me. Thanks.

@martymendes    I guess you are replying to @Anonymous  post 😊 but just a heads up to use the @key and the usernames of everyone in this conversation will pop up and you can select the user you want to respond to.  Good luck!

martymendes

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I'll tell you my experience. Over a year ago, I've moved from Fido and as I wasn't sure about the service here, was a bit suspicious. In order to ensure all is good, I activated a new line and used it for a week to ensure all is working as expected. I know that PM is running on Telus network, but I wanted to confirm all service is fine. After a week then I ported my number from Fido and never looked back. As for autopay service, in order not to think if it will work or not (even if the chance of failing is probably small), every month few days before new cycle, I add funds manually. This is my way to just not think if service will fail or not. So, as long as you know what to expect here, you should be OK. In case if something is not working, you'll have to be patient as response might take some time but I'm sure that doesn't happen often, at least did not for me since I've started.  At the end, if you don't like the service, you are not under contract and you can move somewhere else at any time and as service is fairly cheap, there is not much to lose. 

Welcome to PM. 

BlueB

@martymendes 

Yes, absolutely!  You can port your number later at any point.  🙂

You'd sign up with a new "temporary" number that is fully active.  Then, when you're ready, go into My Account to Change Your Phone Number, and initiate the port/transfer at that point.

There is no limit to this because you'd simply be paying for 2x accounts.  You can "try" this method for several years if you want - all calls/messages would be going to your main number which would be on your "old" phone/account.  🙂

@martymendes wrote:

Here's a follow up question?

Could I try PM for a while and then port my main number over later if I'm satisfied with PM? Would they assign me a random number and then allow me to port my main number over later on?? How long would I have?

@martymendes    Yes, you can pick a temporary PM number until you are ready to port in your previous number.  You just need to keep your old account active to port in your number and unlocked phone that is compatible with Telus/Bell network.

martymendes

Here's a follow up question?

Could I try PM for a while and then port my main number over later if I'm satisfied with PM? Would they assign me a random number and then allow me to port my main number over later on?? How long would I have?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@martymendes : You've probably already received a bunch of referral codes. Them doing so is against the terms of use of the place. Either ask for one here, or ask for one in private messages (where you probably see a bunch already). And of course you could find a kazillion of them out in the wild. But wouldn't it be nice to use one from here.

BlueB

@martymendes 

We're all happy (and apparently eager!) to help.  🙂

An additional thought - depending on how much data you need, you can always start with the base amount.  Then "in a pinch" if you run into issues needing additional amounts, you can always get a Add-On data package.  Those Add-ons don't expire until it's used up.  Every 30 days, you'll use your usual bucket of data first before it dips into the Add-on.

(Public Mobile also offers some promos/freebies for extra Data add-on during the holidays/etc that is a nice bonus for some too!)

+ As part of the Community, feel free to select the post that Solved your post - it helps us out here too with Community Rewards and some understanding of how we helped you out.  🙂

+ Don't forget to get + use a Referral code for $10 credit immediately (or someone on here if you don't have any friends/family who have a Public Mobile account already).

martymendes

Thank you.

I just want the $25 because I only need data in a pinch. I need Canada wide calling and the international texting is a nice bonus. What I don't need is service interruptions but from the replies it's sounding like that's not an issue.

Can't believe how many replues I'm getting. Thank you everyone!!

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@martymendes 

You should definitely signup for autopay you just never have to let it execute if you don't feel comfortable but you still get$2 off and extra data.

You should find family member or a friend with referral code and you should take copy of yours and pass it to your friends if you end up liking service.

What plan are you thinking of getting?

It's easy to switch from one to another but we may have some hints a suggestions to get the most out of it.

Also we do get some nice promotions and they may be worth waiting for depending on your situation. It may be free second month free extra data or free one time bonus data data which doesn't expire and rolls over to the following month and sometimes free sim

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I would definitely recommend PM as mobile service carrier.

Particularly if you need 'emergency phone' - $15 Plan. You cannot beat quality of service and coverage for that plan. You will be paying actually $13 every 30 days if you select auto-pay and there are few other methods to lower your 30 days charge.

Do not worry about auto-pay failures. To prevent it 100%, you would have to manually 'pay' your bill adding funds to your account. PM will always take funds from your account first and if there is not enough will charge your card. As long as you have added your card to PM you will be on auto-pay.

Many PM customers do pay in this way. Anyway your card will be charged at the end so it does not hurt to manually pay day-two in advance. You will NOT be charged twice...

BlueB

@martymendes wrote:

Thank you.

So would you say that PM is reliable and dependable? I just can't afford to have service interruptions.

@martymendes

Reliable and dependable?  Yes... it's a subsidiary (owned by) Telus so you're getting everything Telus has to offer, cutting out some speed, live service, etc.  Every company will have some sort of service interruptions, and you can monitor any outages here too:

https://www.telus.com/en/outages

The hardest part is fixing a problem, and there Moderators (staff!) who provide direct support through this Community (via private messaging) if needed too.

Edit:  Before you activate, get a Referral Code like @Anonymous mentioned so you get an instant $10 credit (and they'll get a $1/mo credit while you're active) to save you a bit more $$$ too!  🙂

wellis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I’ve been with PM for a few weeks and so far I’ve loved it. Being someone who often uses the community, I can assure you that no customer service line is definitely not a problem, as majority of the time, you can receive very helpful tips from people online. 

I’d have to say the best part of PM is it’s rewards program. It’s very easy to save yourself a few dollars every month off of a plan that is already very cheap. You can save by authorizing autopay, referring friends, and contributing to the community. 

I hope to see you becoming a PM member soon. 

martymendes

Awesome.

Thank you.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@martymendes  Network wise, it's good.  PM is using the same network as Telus, so it's is as good as Telus.

Autopay is an issue sometimes, True.  But I think it's probably happening a very small percentage.  You see it talked a lot here because this is a support forum.  Of course, no one would make a post confirming Autopay works, that's why you will see many topics about this. 

But of course, you have to understand PM is a prepaid service, no pay no service.  Unlike Postpaid service, if you miss a bill, they will still let you use the service for at least two months, except with penalty.  So, keeping track of payment is important.  If there is issue, need to get this sorted out before you get the service back.  

And  the support for PM is fully online.  You will either need to get advise from the Community here or open ticket with Mod and work with them via inbox messages here.

Another thing to consider, PM only offer roaming in USA and no international roaming.  

Hope you like it and hope to see you on broad soon.

BlueB

@martymendes 

Public Mobile is a budget carrier, and I think it's good for a budget carrier.  With any budget service, there are sacrifices to be made - no interactive Human support from them, and mostly driven by us, users.

It depends on what you need but works well for many people.  It's on the TELUS network (owned by them) so signal and reliability is as-good as with Telus.  The sacrifices are live support, data speed, etc.

There are a lot of tricks to saving money... participating in this Community forum, registering a card for AutoPay, staying long-term (loyalty), referring others, and jumping on some promotions they offer from time to time.

If you have specific needs/wants from a phone provider, let us know.  Otherwise, it's great for a Budget company, and perhaps less-so for somebody who needs more.  🙂

martymendes

Thank you.

So would you say that PM is reliable and dependable? I just can't afford to have service interruptions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

@martymendes    Majority of the times autopay works as intended.  What you are reading about are the minority of cases where it hasn't and some people prefer to register a CC/Debit card to receive their $2 discount, but will manually top up before payment date.  I can verify that autopay has always worked for me and I don't manually top up beforehand. 

@martymendes : This is a very important distinction to make. What you see here are all the complaints and problems. There are many tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of customers that carry on year after year without a hitch.

Get a SIM, get a referral code, if you want 5gb or more of data then use the 2gbbonus promo code, get a payment card, activate it yourself online. If transferring your number from elsewhere then leave the original SIM in the phone to confirm the transfer and wait for that service to stop. Then put in the new SIM. Done.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@martymendes    Majority of the times autopay works as intended.  What you are reading about are the minority of cases where it hasn't and some people prefer to register a CC/Debit card to receive their $2 discount, but will manually top up before payment date.  I can verify that autopay has always worked for me and I don't manually top up beforehand. 

@martymendes wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've been shopping around for a plan with a bit of data and came across Public Mobile. I'm interested but also a little worried because I've seen mixed reviews. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make PM work for me. I can see that Autopay is problematic for many people so I would avoid that. Any other tips or advice? Thank you very much for your help.

As long as you understand that all customer service is done through this website, most new customers should be fine.  

Currently, there is a promotion for an recurring extra 2GB per 30 days. Clck here for details:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/pd3-3523583103?ds_rl=1268486&ds_rl=1268486&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7KHm3...

You can still receive the autopay reward by subcribing to it, but then paying manually before plan renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.