cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected Car

timyc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a 2018 Range Rover Evoque, which is a "Connected Car". I have a 1 GB 4G Public Mobility data card installed in it, but it fails to connect. I also have a Public Mobility plan for my phone and it works fine. The car states "reading card", and is shown trying to connect, but never does. I activated the card via my phone (it's strictly a data card) successfully, and have triple checked all my in-car settings enabling data, and it shows Public Mobility as my provider, but that's as far as it gets. No actual connection? Can anyone help?

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timyc 

Your phone should have a way to see the SIM #. Make sure the one you want for calling matches the SIM # in the self-serve account with the calling.

Then do the lost/stolen toggle as mentioned in the fine print in red above and see if that restores your calling on the proper SIM.

See what happens.

@timyc wrote:

You were right!  I had a card from Bell installed and it is working fine!  Connected right away to 4G and is working perfect!  Apparently, they had to put the vehicle id number into the activation.  There wasn't any place to do that from within the car itself.  It had to be inputted to the sim card by Bell.  Anyway, Thank you!

Now, my issue is:  I had a sim from PM installed in my phone with data and Canada wide calling and text; I purchased a second sim for data only for my car.  After all the problems of trying to get it to connect, I tried out my phone sim in my car, now I've lost phone service!  BOTH sims state I only have data and no calling service, yet when I check my separate accounts on PM, it says one sim has the data only, and my phone sim has both data and calling!  I can phone into my cell, but calling out I get a message, I don't have a calling plan...only a data plan!  I have tried both sims in my duel sim phone, and tried the sims one at a time, and still get no calling service for both!  I think I'll have to let both cancel out now, and then reactivate just the one for my phone.  PM was working fine in my phone before, and I was happy with that service.  

Thanks again to all who tried to help me with this problem connecting in my car...I truly now do have a connected car!

@timyc  Try just using only the sim with the calling plan in your phone. If it's still a problem notify PM. 

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Note: Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

* Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team *

While you are waiting for the moderator to respond, you may try the lost/stolen phone trick:

To report your phone stolen. Login to your selfserve account. Choose Plans and Add-ons tab. Choose the Lost/Stolen Phone tab. Choose Suspend Service tab. Wait a few minutes. Report your phone found. Re-start you phone

timyc

You were right!  I had a card from Bell installed and it is working fine!  Connected right away to 4G and is working perfect!  Apparently, they had to put the vehicle id number into the activation.  There wasn't any place to do that from within the car itself.  It had to be inputted to the sim card by Bell.  Anyway, Thank you!

Now, my issue is:  I had a sim from PM installed in my phone with data and Canada wide calling and text; I purchased a second sim for data only for my car.  After all the problems of trying to get it to connect, I tried out my phone sim in my car, now I've lost phone service!  BOTH sims state I only have data and no calling service, yet when I check my separate accounts on PM, it says one sim has the data only, and my phone sim has both data and calling!  I can phone into my cell, but calling out I get a message, I don't have a calling plan...only a data plan!  I have tried both sims in my duel sim phone, and tried the sims one at a time, and still get no calling service for both!  I think I'll have to let both cancel out now, and then reactivate just the one for my phone.  PM was working fine in my phone before, and I was happy with that service.  

Thanks again to all who tried to help me with this problem connecting in my car...I truly now do have a connected car!

PM100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@timyc  Assuming you have "connect Pro" which is required for hotspot functionality you could try connecting your phone (or tablet etc) to the "connected  car" SSID and just see if a browser will bring up a typical router configuration screen e.g. 192.168.0.1 etc. This wouldn't require internet connectivity it only would require them being on the same network.

APN settings might be there and editable - long shot i know.

as per @ z10user4 links the official method of changing the "connected car" APN setting  seem to have the same limitations as an iphone (not allowing changes, i think) but at least you could check to make sure that the username and password are emtpy as they should be.

FYI I have a mobile hotspot that works perfectly with a pm sim and it has always showed Telus on the screen. It even showed Telus when i couldn't get data to work in the beginning. Data only started to work when i manually put the proper pm apn settings in just as @geopublic indicates above as a most probable cause of the "connected car" not working (and assuming the frequencies are compatible with pm).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timyc 

Is this "Connected Car" or "InControl?

Do you have what they call "Connect Pro"? Seems to be conflicting info on that.

Can you connect to your house wifi? (assuming of course)

The only technical spec I can find is the very basic 3G/LTE. It would be nice if they could provide what frequencies the thing supports.

So of course you've been through all these pages...

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/LH/2018/T24106/24869_en_GBR/proc/G2123364

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/LH/2018/T24106/24869_en_GBR/proc/G2134426

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/LH/2018/T24106/24869_en_GBR/proc/G2134430

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/LH/2018/T24106/24869_en_GBR/proc/G2134442

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/LH/2018/T29581/24869_en_GBR/proc/G2134453

@timyc wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.  I've been away a few days, so just got back to this post.  I've tried everything suggested so far, and nothing works.  I've a 4G data only sim card installed in my car (should be backward compatible to 3G I'm told?).  I've tried switching out my phone card, which also has data, but none of this works.  The Range Rover in-car data link is only for receiving data, not phone calls.  It is mainly for setting up a wifi hot spot.  My phone connects through Bluetooth without a problem, but the in-car data link is a separate entity.  I have all my connectivity setting turned on, and it reads the card and states my provider is Public Mobile, but then it can't connect, doesn't matter what I do.  I've went through all Land Rover on-line help to no avail, so I guess it's time to take it back to the nearest dealer and let them sort it out.  I'd have done that sooner, but don't have a dealer locally.  

@timyc  Since there isn't a setting on the vehicle to allow you to enter APN settings I'm afraid the PM sim card will not work in your vehicle. My guess is that it's trying to connect to Telus. I'm pretty sure that if you purchase a data package from a tier 1 or 2 provider (Telus, Koodo, Rogers, Fido, Bell or Virgin) it should work without any issues.

PM100

@timyc wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.  I've been away a few days, so just got back to this post.  I've tried everything suggested so far, and nothing works.  I've a 4G data only sim card installed in my car (should be backward compatible to 3G I'm told?).  I've tried switching out my phone card, which also has data, but none of this works.  The Range Rover in-car data link is only for receiving data, not phone calls.  It is mainly for setting up a wifi hot spot.  My phone connects through Bluetooth without a problem, but the in-car data link is a separate entity.  I have all my connectivity setting turned on, and it reads the card and states my provider is Public Mobile, but then it can't connect, doesn't matter what I do.  I've went through all Land Rover on-line help to no avail, so I guess it's time to take it back to the nearest dealer and let them sort it out.  I'd have done that sooner, but don't have a dealer locally.  

Thoughts:

Do you know what bands "connected car" uses...

Is there a box to unclick 4G in order to force 3G...

All the best with this. Yes time for the dealer involvement.

timyc

Thanks for the follow up PM100, but as you say some FAQs.  This may not be the same for this system.  I don't know, that is why I asked.

PM100

@stonechucker wrote:

@timyc, a data-only SIM from public mobile has no ability to make or receive voice calls via the 'phone' system.  Check with your dealership to see what services are required by the 'connected car' system, and get a SIM or account with those required options functional.

According to some FAQ's it says:

Quote:

"You need a 3G "Data only SIM card". Sometimes these are called "Internet only SIM" or "Mobile broadband SIMs". This will be a different SIM card to that fitted in your mobile phone."

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@timyc, try your cell phone's SIM in your car.  See what it does.

@timyc, a data-only SIM from public mobile has no ability to make or receive voice calls via the 'phone' system.  Check with your dealership to see what services are required by the 'connected car' system, and get a SIM or account with those required options functional.

PM100

i think @Triguy 's solution should work. But if you still have trouble getting it going then treat the car like its a cell phone in a sense and try the following:

shut the car off and remove the sim and start the car then shut it off and reinstall the sim and restart car.

(btw a quick search and i see there are alot of known issues with land rover connected car  around losing connection so it may not be PM)

Good luck!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Go to the settings icon in any screen > All settings > Features > Connectivity > Mobile data on 

finshipper

Perhaps you need to enter the APN settings for public mobile manually?  Instructions from your manufacturer can be found here: http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/LH/2018/T29581/24869_en_GBR/proc/G2134430

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220 
Authentication type: Leave blank 
APN type: Leave blank 

PM100

these are just some initial thoughts and some questions that are hypothetical in a way:

-you've proved that the sim will work for data in a phone.
-can apn settings in the connected car be accessed and reviewed.
-is there a phone app that controls the connected car where you can see apn settings.
-can the connected car software get updated by connecting  your phone via bluetooth.
-what about trying the ranger rover forums https://www.rangerovers.net

I'm not familiar with your setup really  so if these make no sense then please ignore....

Need Help? Let's chat.