cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing my account with my previous service provider

alain4060
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My old service provider is Videotron. They told me that Public Mobile needs to contact them to reserve my telephone number and to cancel my active account. I activated my Public Mobile service on October 6  and I am advised after calling Videotron Customer Service on October 7 that I cannot close my Videotron account. Otherwise, I will lose my current 514-xxx-xxxx telephone number.  When will Public Mobile do this provider to provider communication. Please advise when this is completed so that I can verify my billing has stopped at Videotron. Right now I am paying for 2 plans for this number. I am caught in a Catch 22 and I have no way of talking Public Mobile in person to resolve my issue. I am not pleased.

Thank you for responding quickly.

7 REPLIES 7

@alain4060 wrote:

When will Public Mobile do this provider to provider communication. Please advise when this is completed so that I can verify my billing has stopped at Videotron.

Have you actually formally made the request using either the activation system or your self-serve account?  If you have Public Mobile automatically notifies you have everything is done by sending your a text message saying everything is complete (unless the request fails).

tbark
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you had a landline with videotron, it usually takes 3-5 business to complete the port and PM makes sure the acct is closed. If it is a cellular port, it should only take 2-3 hours.

lat34hat34
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As long as your phone is unlocked by Videotron, you can choose to keep your old telephone number or change to a new one (at least, that's what happened to me when I switched from Virgin Mobile to Public).

It sounds like Videotron is just giving you a hard time for leaving. As far as I know, Public Mobile doesn't really do provider to provider communication, as there are only so many mods. All in all, if I were you, I would just cancel your plan with Videotron and grab a new number with Public. It's a pain to have to switch numbers but at least you won't be stuck with two bills and you'll have a better affordable plan here.

Also, make sure you don't post your number here again, just to be safe because anyone can just grab it and text/call you or use it for a scam of their own. I hope this helps!

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@alain4060 wrote:

My old service provider is Videotron. They told me that Public Mobile needs to contact them to reserve my telephone number and to cancel my active account. I activated my Public Mobile service on October 6  and I am advised after calling Videotron Customer Service on October 7 that I cannot close my Videotron account. Otherwise, I will lose my current 514-xxx-xxxx telephone number.  When will Public Mobile do this provider to provider communication. Please advise when this is completed so that I can verify my billing has stopped at Videotron. Right now I am paying for 2 plans for this number. I am caught in a Catch 22 and I have no way of talking Public Mobile in person to resolve my issue. I am not pleased.

Thank you for responding quickly.

@alain4060 to port your Videotron to PM all you need Videotron Account # and your name exactly from Videotron, the rest leave it blank within few minutes your Videotron # will be transfer to PM, any money you owe will be email to you, hope this help

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@alain4060, please do not post personal information in the public forum.  You must maintain your current account active in order to be eligible to port your number.  Once you complete the port the old account automatically closes.  This is standard process regardless which carriers are involved.  Go ahead and initiate the number port from the self serve account. 

shiveringcoyote
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

BTW, this is a public forum and better not mention your personal number here.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Did you initiate a number port?

What is your outgoing number?

If you have not initiated a number port loginto self serve click plans then change number.

Use only your account number and name exactly as on Videotron bill

Need Help? Let's chat.