cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing a specific phone number

CindyH
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I want to sign my husband up for a public mobile.  He is bring his own phone which we are in the process of getting unlocked.

He wants to choose his phone number.  It is a number that he had years ago with Rogers, and when we call the number it is not in use.  

Is there a function where you can actually choose the phone number that we want to use?

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@maddylam wrote:

Hi,

There is a "Change Number" option in your PM account profile.  This allows you to pick your own number on specific location.

Hope this help!

@maddylam sorry, this is 100% wrong.  You can only pick from a handful of choices that the tool gives you--you can't request a specific number.  Even if it did let you request a specific number, it wouldn't work due to it being a Rogers number, as noted by the other responders in this thread.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

The phone number, if it isn't currently active on a plan, will not port (transfer).  This number you say your husband used 9 years ago with Rogers ---  Is it still active for your husband currently at any carrier?  If not, do you know the carrier that first issued the number, as the selection of numbers is controlled, and 'Rogers' is assigned a block of numbers, so is 'Bell', and 'Telus', and any other various carriers, including landline and VoIP services.

Chances are, if your husband doesn't currently have this number, it won't be available via the Public Mobile number selection, unless it was via Telus originally, if it is truly inactive.

For example, my number was a 'brand new' number with Rogers.  I ported to Wind keeping my number, and after ported it to Public Mobile.  If I were to allow my number to go unused for 90-days, it will revert to the original carrier's pool of numbers to assign - meaning Rogers would get it back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeez you guys are fast 🙂

@mimmoposted my idea while I was typing.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@CindyH wrote:

Hi,

I want to sign my husband up for a public mobile.  He is bring his own phone which we are in the process of getting unlocked.

He wants to choose his phone number.  It is a number that he had years ago with Rogers, and when we call the number it is not in use.  

Is there a function where you can actually choose the phone number that we want to use?

Providers get assigned numbers that they have access to.  If it was a Rogers number it may still only be available for Rogers customers.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

he will not be able to get the rogers number with public mobile. PM has thier own list of numbers they are allowed to assign.

if he rellly wants taht number you should head to a rogers store and see i he can get a basic plan with the number he wants.  if he is able to get that number then he can port over to PM

SD08

Each carrier has their own assigned number pool. During activation, PM gives you a lot of choices for phone numbers, but it can only let you choose from its own number pool.  As I understand it, when a number is no longer tied to any user account, it reverts back to the carrier from which it originally came.  So, PM will not be able to access to your husband's old number if it originally came from Rogers.

maddylam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

There is a "Change Number" option in your PM account profile.  This allows you to pick your own number on specific location.

Hope this help!

Need Help? Let's chat.