cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking on phonew compatability

spattullo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

will my Frequency: GSM850 / 900/1800 / 1900MHz, 3G: WCDMA850 / 2100MHz   phone work with this network

18 REPLIES 18

helpinghand12
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What is the make and model of this phone?  If it is a 2g model it will not work

@CellGirl wrote:

@wetcoaster

Good to know about Public Mobile's IMEI checker only good for checking blacklisted phones- - someone should correct the Getting Started section 🙂 

Patience 🙂

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wetcoaster

Good to know about Public Mobile's IMEI checker only good for checking blacklisted phones- - someone should correct the Getting Started section 🙂 

spattullo

Yes but since the cell phone I was checking was my phone from china it does not check those phones for compatablity it says.

@CellGirl wrote:

@spattullo wrote:

will my Frequency: GSM850 / 900/1800 / 1900MHz, 3G: WCDMA850 / 2100MHz   phone work with this network

@spattullo

Hello, have you clicked the Getting Started link at the top of the forum page, then entering your IMEI in appropriate box? 

@CellGirl 

Please be aware that the IMEI checker on Public Mobile's home page only checks whether the phone is black listed. It is NOT reliable for compatibility and has been known to report false positives.

As mentioned above, willmyphonework.net, while not 100% perfect, is my go-to source for frequency compatibility.

@spattullo 

I agree with previous posters - you need a minimum of 3G bands B2 (1900) and B5 (850) for a phone to work on Public Mobile. You might be lucky and the B5 is enough for where you are, but I would not count on it.

If you want to rely on the 2G GSM frequencies you would need to choose a carrier on the Rogers network (Rogers, Fido, ChatR, 7-11 SpeakOut, PetroCan Mobility, Zoomer / CityPhone). Note that the GSM network will be shut down end of 2020.

bananniiee

Hope this helps:

Public Mobile 3G Frequencies

850 MHz, Band 5 (UMTS/ HSPA)
1900MHz, Band 2 (UMTS/ HSPA)

Public Mobile 4G Frequencies

1700/ 2100 MHz AWS, Band 4 (LTE/ LTE Advanced)
700 MHz A/B/C/E, Band 12/13/17/29 (LTE/ LTE Advanced)

CellGirl

@spattullo wrote:

@spattullo

Hello, have you clicked the Getting Started link at the top of the forum page, then entering your IMEI in appropriate box? 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@spattullo , use this site to check if the phone is compatible.  Like all databases, it's not perfect nor complete.  I find this site best overall for phones not intended for use in North America.

https://www.frequencycheck.com

@spattullo wrote:

MTK6580 used it in china and now back in Canada, seeing if it will work

@spattullo  I am not too sure I understand this. MediaTek makes chipsets, one of my dash cams has a MTK6735, the same chipset as some cell phones. MTK 6580 is the chipset not the model, it can be put into various devices with various different specs and different frequency.

If your right about those frequencies, it may connect somewhere but I would highly advise against using a phone with those specs, as you will likely only have service in select areas. It would be a hit and miss if your phone will connect, everywhere you go you will wonder if the phone is going to work or not.

If you just wanted to try it for fun, go to the mall or any wireless store that sells koodo/pm/telus/bell/virgin and ask them to insert one of their demo active test sim cards to your phone.

Murco

easiest solution would be to try a friends sim card as @Anonymous  suggested.

spattullo

all phones there are unlocked

Anonymous
Not applicable

@spattullo wrote:

well I already own it from when I was in china

Do you know anybody here with active service on Telus/Koodo or even Public Mobile or Bell/Virgin/Lucky. Stick their SIM in and see if it works. You'll need to make sure the phone is unlocked first.

spattullo

well I already own it from when I was in china

spattullo

MTK6580 used it in china and now back in Canada, seeing if it will work

@Murco wrote:

Check on it here.   https://willmyphonework.net/

That could be of limited usefulness since the specifications have already been provided to us.  The problem with sites like these is that if there a mistake somewhere on the web, these compatibility checking sites will often repeat the same error. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@spattullo wrote:

It will in some places but coverage could be limited if not 850 in the area and speeds could be bad because you can't connect to 1900 mhz.  No LTE either.  Summary: don't get this phone.

Murco

Check on it here.   https://willmyphonework.net/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@spattullo wrote:

Maybe barely one frequency. What make/model is the phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.