cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing port

safoora
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I already have a sim card from freedom mobile and I want to change it to public mobile without changing my phone number. Can I do that? Do I need to order a new sim card? How can I be sure my phone number does not change?

10 REPLIES 10

@Knguyen And? 

knguyen,
You can port the number you want.

Tha acct number maybe the same, but port the number you want.

Knguyen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My freedom account got 2 numbers 1 for me and 1 for my kid can I port 1 to PM with same number and 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@safoora 

Additional info on porting a number to PM so that what you will expect while porting is in progress.

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] page?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should send a private message to moiderator to investigate. - 

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.  You can continue to use your old provider SIM until is stop working.  Then, you can switch to use PM SIM card.

Welcome to PM.

@safoora 

If you chose to take temporary public mobile number then once you created your account and tested everything, as @CannonFodder mentioned you will need to contact moderators to port your number. At the moment there is a small problem with it, usually we can do it by ourselves.

To avoid that you have option of transferring your number during the sim activation.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@safoora 

One more thing your phone will probably have to be unlocked, you will know once you put a new sim inside. If it asks you for a code just give a call to freedommobile and they will give it to you free of charge.

Welcome to public mobile

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@safoora  SiMs are going for $5 now (1/2 price https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart ). Here's an article on activating when have your SIM.  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@safoora Your phone and your number will stay the same. You need to buy Public Mobile sim either by placing an online order here or on Amazon OR you can buy it from retails stores like Superstore or Walmart. Once you get the sim, you have to activate your sim and port in your freedom number during activation.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@safoora  Yes, you'll need to buy a PM SIM card. You can then activate it online, using the self-serve function, or get it set up in-store. The prevailing wisdom, is to take a new phone number from PM, and then later port your Freedom number in to PM.

Two things to keep in mind, is that your Freedom account HAS TO be active at the time of porting, or your number will disappear, i.e. DO NOT cancel your Freedom account before porting your number. The other thing, is that, at this point in time, you have to contact the Moderator team to port a number in to PM.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@safoora wrote:

Hi, 

I already have a sim card from freedom mobile and I want to change it to public mobile without changing my phone number. Can I do that? Do I need to order a new sim card? How can I be sure my phone number does not change?

Your Freedom SIM will not work with PM.  You need to buy a PM SIM card to use with your PM account.

Yes, you can port your Freedom number to PM.

To port your number to PM, you Freedom account must be active at the time of porting. 

You need to provide:

1.  Your Freedom account #

2.  Your Freedom phone number to be ported to PM

3.  The name on your Freedom account.

After your Freedom number is ported to PM, your Freedom account will be canceled. 

Need Help? Let's chat.