cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing number: Brand new number ?

Tigrus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, i subscribed to public mobile yesterday and i choosed to transfer my old number. However, i'm now pondering the idea of maybe changing my number. So, two questions:

1- Is it possible to get a brand new number that never belonged to anybody ? If it is, what is the best way to ensure it's brand new when choosing it ?

2- Does having a having a number with repeating number (such as let's say 438-555-5000) increase the chances of unwanted calls, compared to another random number ?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Barbie2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@maximum_gato this is really good advice! Thanks for sharing. 

@Tigrus 

I would keep your number......for now. But when that great flash sale comes along and youre bemoaning the fact that you didnt get a deal when you activated .....you can if you want. If its timed well with your normal renewal and your not tied to your number you can activate on the flash sale and/or promotion. (Last years black friday stackable promos were a great deal for those able to take advantage.) Have a couple of cheap sim cards on hand from CCS for yourself or referring your friends and family.

Chances are higher for a number to be "Virgin" if you pick from one of the newer area codes... ie:

236 for BC

639 for Saskatchewan

etc

Tigrus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everyone for your answers ! I think i'm better keeping my current phone number then.

@Tigrus To have a better chance and getting a phone number that has never been used, numbers with newer area codes would be bettet. However, that is not a guaranteed and there is no way to check.

@Tigrus To have a better chance and getting a phone number that has never been used, numbers with newer area codes would be bettet. However, that is not a guarantee and there is no way to check.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tigrus 

1. Unless you take a number from a very new area code the chances of getting a never used number are unlikely. Numbers are recycled. 
2. Yes

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tigrus 

1. Unless you take a number from a very new area code the chances of getting a never used number are unlikely. Numbers are recycled. 
2. Yes

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Tigrus  welcome to PM.

1. There is no way to that I'm aware of here to know if a number has been assigned before. Basically check the area codes available to you in your area. The newer the area code, and the further down the list for example if you choose xxx xxx 0001 its more likely to be assigned vs xxx xxx 9999 the less likely that someone has been assigned that number. However the more new the area code, the more problems you will have with it and other providers not recognizing it.
  2. As to this. Probably, we tend to be lazy and people who choose to make a living by unscrupulous meams even more so. So yes, its probable that a random number is less likely to be spoofed than a repetitive number. 

I would just keep my current number or if changing, forget about an unassigned number and try for an established area code. FYI Its the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website to check if your number is local or not http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can only change your phone# once every 30 days.

To change your phone number: sign in to Self-Serve, select ‘Change Number' under 'My Profile' on the Overview page. Here, you can choose to select a new phone number or to transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.