cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Public Mobile number?

iolanth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated with Public Mobile last week. Love it so far, except my new number is clearly recycled and I'm getting 3 or 4 debt collection calls a day for the previous owner on already. I dread to think what's going to come in the future!  Can I change my number now and try my luck with another new one having less of a bad history, before I bother giving this one out to too many people?  If so, how, and is there a charge for this?  Many thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6

thapager
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Download ‘truecaller’. It blocks any registered spam number and puts a spam contact and blocks all numbers within that contact. 

Works great. Never get a spam call. Next option is to answer the call, tell them you just got the number and ask them to delete the number from their database. 

@iolanth wrote:

I activated with Public Mobile last week. Love it so far, except my new number is clearly recycled and I'm getting 3 or 4 debt collection calls a day for the previous owner on already. I dread to think what's going to come in the future!  Can I change my number now and try my luck with another new one having less of a bad history, before I bother giving this one out to too many people?  If so, how, and is there a charge for this?  Many thanks. 

I would say that since you've only had the number for a week, to not even think twice about it.  I also suspect that most people don't memorize phone numbers anyway, but rathet just save them in the phone's contact list.

My experiences with debt collectors are that they do not usually take no for an answer and will often keep calling multiple times from different number even after advising them that you are not the person that they're looking for. Even if you do get them to stop calling, the debt could get resold again, meaning that it will be a different collection agency that will once again try whatever phone number they have.

Phone numbers can be blocked but debt collectors do sometimes call from different phone numbers.

I'd change it right away if it hasn't been changed already.

If you can wait the 30 days, that would be best. Of course, there's no guarantee that the next on will be better, yet I don't think it would be worse. Three or four is alot.

The other option is to take the calls, if your not on a limited plan and just tell the callers you are not who they want. It took a while, but I had the same issue and they eventually stopped calling... for now!

@hairbag1 wrote:

You can change the number once every 30 days without being charged any $$.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@iolanth wrote:

@iolanth  You can change your number once every 30 days. Access you selfserve and select the change Phone Number option and see if it works. If it doesn't you will have to wait until after your renewal or contact the moderators and ask them if they will change it for you.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You can change the number once every 30 days without being charged any $$.

Need Help? Let's chat.