cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Number

MikePresman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So yesterday I tried to port a number which I cancelled from Bell months ago and now am unable to successfully use this number. This is a mistake on my part.

Now I can only send calls and texts but not receive (because the port was unsuccessful).

How can I restart this process and get a new number from public mobile without a port so everything works smoothly? Would a mod be able to help me?

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Meow Yeah I read according to OP, they chose to port-in a number during activation, but since that wasn't going to succeed, they chose a number from PM afterwards. I am not sure how long it should take, but I would think no more than 30 minutes and a phone restart... any more than that and I'd open a ticket for the moderators to check the account, and ensure the previous failed+abandoned port is not mucking things up.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar wrote:

@Meow OP indicated their port failed because the previous service was cancelled months previous, so port fail was expected. OP indicated they used the self-serve "change number" feature, and are now just waiting for the new number assigned from PM to take effect. 

Oh, I see... Read too fast, my apologies.

So actually OP signed up with PM, selected offered one of the numbers and then initiated 'change number' process?

If that is the case, how long it takes for new number to become 100% active?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Meow OP indicated their port failed because the previous service was cancelled months previous, so port fail was expected. OP indicated they used the self-serve "change number" feature to pick a new number from PM, and are now just waiting for the new number assigned from PM to take effect. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Based on my experience reading all porting notes in this forum, complete porting could take few hours.

You should get SMS ability first and then calling will become available. Just be patient if you did follow porting procedure.

If your porting gets stuck, let us know and somebody (even me if I read your note first) could provide you (through personal mail) direct PM phone number for porting assistance.

@MikePresman Yeah, your old number would have had to be still active at Bell for the port to succeed.

I would think that since you've now submitted a number change request for a new number from Public Mobile that it should have taken effect within 30 minutes. If rebooting your phone does not cause the new number to work for both incoming and outgoing calls, you may have to submit a ticket with the moderators to reprovision your SIM or something - just in case the pending port request has confused things in the system or something.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MikePresman : So you did another Change Number to just one of the numbers that showed up? Or you only did the port attempt?

If plain change number then did it appear to work?

Does the new selected number show up in the self-serve?

When you call someone does the call display show the new number?

Maybe restart the phone.

MikePresman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you I just did that. Do you know how long it takes to update?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

When porting a number over to PM, you need to keep your current account open when the port is completed then it will be automatically closed.

You can try logging into your self serve account and change your phone number.  You can change it four times every thirty days.

Need Help? Let's chat.