cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change phone number

Blomba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Trying to change my phone number but it keeps saying failed? 

23 REPLIES 23

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Blomba wrote:

I want to keep the current number if possible,  if not I'd like a new number, preferably without waiting a month

@Blomba   You should be able to select a temporary new number until your porting is completed which as noted can take up to a week, as it involves a landline, but maybe less.  If you're unable to do that in your self serve then contact moderators using the links provided earlier by @esjliv  and ask moderators to give you a temporary number so that you can have phone service until the transfer completes.  Of course, you'll need to keep the Roger's account active until then.

Blomba

I want to keep the current number if possible,  if not I'd like a new number, preferably without waiting a month

Blomba

Idk I called Rogers and they said the request was denied. I'll try calling that number provided or waiting a week I suppose. Just worried I'll miss an important call

@Blomba wrote:

Thanks I'll try calling them. It was a landline number that I'm bringing, not a cellphone. Dunno if that makes a difference

oh Blomba, that makes a lot of difference!  Porting a landline takes a lot longer at least 7 days.  so you just have to wait until your landline stops working.  that means porting is complete and you will be able to receive calls and texts on your mobile phone.

Best wishes

RosieR

@Blomba    actually what you trying to do .. you said you want a new phone number now in your original post

1. do you still want Rogers number on your home?

2. do you really want a new number on your cell now?  or do you want the Rogers number ported onto your cell?

Blomba

Thanks I'll try calling them. It was a landline number that I'm bringing, not a cellphone. Dunno if that makes a difference

Blomba

I'm only able to call out (it shows as my old phone number) I cannot send or receive text messages or receive calls (goes directly to my house phone voice mail)

Yes, sound like you was request a PORT number from Rogers and that's why causing the confusing.

I  believe you need to call the Port Team (number above) to go ahead with the prot.  Once the Rogers number ported over (you can receive incoming calls) , then you can go back to Self-Serve page to request a change number.  I don't think you need to wait 30 days. 

Remember if you are completing the port number, you need to put your Rogers SIM on a phone to receive a SMS from Rogers, and you need to reply YES to the SMS

Also, without the PORT complete, you still have an account with Rogers opened (unless you called Rogers already and closed the account)

@Blomba wrote:

All I know is I can send calls but not receive them and I want a new phone number. Isnt there someone I  can call?

Hi @Blomba DO NOT do anything like changing your number for now.

You are able to call and receive text and that means that activation is complete and just waiting for your number to be ported.  Put back the Rogers sim card into your phone.. all your incoming calls and text and going there until porting is complete.

When did you activate your sim card?  Did you order in-store or online?

If in-store, create a self serve account here https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

If you activated online, you already have a self serve account.  Log in and click Plan and Add-Ons tab.   If you see your number there, Public Mobile has already assigned your number, so just wait for porting to complete.

I hope this helps

RosieR

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Blomba wrote:

Would mr bringing my old phone number be considered one number for the month?

@Blomba   The transfer of a number doesn't count as a number change, but from your other posts it sounds like your porting isn't complete.  How long ago did you activate?  You need to keep the Roger's SIM in your phone to approve the transfer request text.  Otherwise you may need to phone Telus' porting  to complete the transfer.

@Blomba If your old number was denied to be ported. I am assuming you are still with Rogers.

Did you try powering down the phone then turning the phone back on?

This sounds like the problem my friend had with his phone too.

@Blomba wrote:

All I know is I can send calls but not receive them and I want a new phone number. Isnt there someone I  can call?

@Blomba This is a normal behaviour during the port. All incoming calls are going to your old account. Keep using it until it stops working. This indicates the port is complete. As for the "isn't there someone I can call?", no there isn't. They advertise that all service is done online.

@Blomba ,

Something is up with your account, not the phone number.

Contact the moderators for help.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Blomba

@Blomba wrote:

Little confused why they would allow me to bring my number but then deny Rogers request to move it. So basically I cannot receive phone calls for a month? That doesnt seem fair 

@Blomba This is a confusing statement. Are you trying to port in your Rogers number? Rogers wouldn't have any request to make in this case and PM has nothing to "deny". PM requests the number FROM Rogers then Rogers releases it.

Blomba

Little confused why they would allow me to bring my number but then deny Rogers request to move it. So basically I cannot receive phone calls for a month? That doesnt seem fair 

@Blomba wrote:

@Blomba Yes it is

Blomba

Blomba

I just joined. I tried bringing my current phone number, which seems to have work, but public mobile denied the request (even though I can call out with that number but not receive calls) I just want to change my number so that I can call out and receive calls

@Anonymous, no friend need. I was asking if he did it before and how long was it because I was wondering if it is within 30 days, too

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : Are you "asking for friend"? If successful then number changes should be immediate. Maybe restart the phone.

@Blomba : Are you sure a number change hasn't happened in your attempts? I have had that error before. The moderators put it in for me. But they are also restricted to once every 30 days...likely by policy.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Blomba wrote:

Trying to change my phone number but it keeps saying failed? 

@Blomba   You're allowed one change of number per 30 days.  If you haven't done a change during that period, then try clearing your cache/cookies and use a different browser with privacy/incognito mode enable.  The website might just be down now, so waiting another hour might help too.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Have you been in PM for sometime or you just activated your account?

If you have been for sometime, did you ever request a number change, if so, how long was it?

Need Help? Let's chat.