cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Change phone number

I just got a Public Mobile sim today, but I was given a +1 8XX XXX XXXX number. Didn't read any meaning to it but when I call out locally, it shows incoming number from the US. 

can I just get any cheap SIM and change my number using the self serve?

Oracle

Re: Change phone number

@Eagle19 Are you saying that your sim is linked to 18xx number? If yes, that can't be. Sim cards are brand new and you need to activate here: https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

Please clarify if that is not the case. 

I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

Basically I walked into a London drug store in Canada, paid for a SIM and was given a +1 8XX number. It's a new SIM but now I am confused if the store set it up wrongly?

Highlighted
Oracle

@Eagle19 wrote:

Basically I walked into a London drug store in Canada, paid for a SIM and was given a +1 8XX number. It's a new SIM but now I am confused if the store set it up wrongly?

Have you set up your self serve?  If so you can go in there and change the number that is associated with that sim card, without having to get a new sim.

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Oracle

@Eagle19 wrote:

Now that's a first. Since you activate at the retail store, you need to create an account here: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

It will ask you to provide the phone number and you will get a text with the code. Then you can create your self-serve account which will let you change your number. If you don't get the text, you will need to send a private message to the Moderator_Team and they will create an account for you. 

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

I have successfully set up the self serve account but don't have a previous Canadian number that's why I am considering buying a cheap SIM to get a number that's hopefully local. 

Oracle

@Eagle19 wrote:

I have successfully set up the self serve account but don't have a previous Canadian number that's why I am considering buying a cheap SIM to get a number that's hopefully local. 

Once you login to your self-serve account, you can directly change your number from there. It will allow you to pick the province you are in and you can pick a number from the available list. To change the number, click on the "Change number" option located under your profile on the overview page. 

Thanks all... Now sorted out. Your help is much appreciated 

@Eagle19 wrote:

Thanks all... Now sorted out. Your help is much appreciated 

It's great that you're all sorted out  Out of curiosity, what was the area code of the number that you were originally assigned? There are Canadain area codes (example 819) that aren't toll free and are assigned to certain places within the country.

i tried (and succeeded) to get an old number i had to recover an email via the stupid two step authentication through google. however someone in my area code already had the number and now we are basically sharing the number. only no one can call me and only one or two ppl sonfar can txt me. otherwise everything goes to no another person. ive been trying to change my number ever since and no matter what number suggestion that comes up it says failed. PLEASE HELP