cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change phone number

Eagle19
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got a Public Mobile sim today, but I was given a +1 8XX XXX XXXX number. Didn't read any meaning to it but when I call out locally, it shows incoming number from the US. 

can I just get any cheap SIM and change my number using the self serve?

20 REPLIES 20

SkimGuy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jdarc wrote:

well turns out that someone did in fact have that number lol and there is an option when signing up for public to transfer an old number if you have the proper credentials. ive used this number in the oast therefore had plenty of the credentials to get it back. however now no one can call me and only certain ppl can even txt me. everything else including all calls go to this other party thats had the number issued to them. and yes i agree the system/public mobile should not have allowed that to happen(totally stoked they did tho lol) its been a bit since i got ans havent got any super angry txts yet so im sure we can suffer through until im able to get a new number 

Lol how is that possible? Is there any way to contact the other person and sort it out? Hopefully no sensitive information is being sent :x

Jdarc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

well turns out that someone did in fact have that number lol and there is an option when signing up for public to transfer an old number if you have the proper credentials. ive used this number in the oast therefore had plenty of the credentials to get it back. however now no one can call me and only certain ppl can even txt me. everything else including all calls go to this other party thats had the number issued to them. and yes i agree the system/public mobile should not have allowed that to happen(totally stoked they did tho lol) its been a bit since i got ans havent got any super angry txts yet so im sure we can suffer through until im able to get a new number 

@Smashy wrote:

Hey guys, I just activated a new SIM and account. I planned on porting in a number so I just chose a random new number to activate the account, however I I won't be porting in the existing number anymore. So I would like to change this newly activated number to something better (last 4 digits). When I go to Self-Serve to change my number, after selecting region, I'm only given a choice of 5 numbers. Is there any way for me to have more options to choose from, and search for one with specific last 4 digits?

Thank you!

B

The only time you are given the option to do a search for the last 4 digits upon activation.  After that, if you are just changing your number you are given a group of pre-selected numbers.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Smashy wrote:

Hey guys, I just activated a new SIM and account. I planned on porting in a number so I just chose a random new number to activate the account, however I I won't be porting in the existing number anymore. So I would like to change this newly activated number to something better (last 4 digits). When I go to Self-Serve to change my number, after selecting region, I'm only given a choice of 5 numbers. Is there any way for me to have more options to choose from, and search for one with specific last 4 digits?

Thank you!

B

Unfortunately, there is no way for you to do that yourself within self-serve. Moderators might be able to do that for you, but I can't promise.  To send a message to them, https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Smashy

Thank you!

B

MJ23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I suggest you log in to your PM account (where you can see your bill) and select the ‘change number’ tab. Alternatively you can contact a pm moderator.

To send a private message to a moderator click this link and describe your issue.

Community Moderators are available from Monday-Friday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

More info on moderators

thank you,

mj23

@Jdarc wrote:

thank you !! i just changed it a few days ago so im stuck with this for a month? and reason why i would be able to use a number already assigned to someone else?

You can't. This is a Public Mobile bug.  What do you mean you recovered an old  number?  If your account with the number before closed, it is no longer yours.  And if someone else now has it, you have to change number. The system shouldn't have allowed.

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can make only make one change per 30-day period. I think it must have been a system glitch.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jdarc wrote:

thank you !! i just changed it a few days ago so im stuck with this for a month? and reason why i would be able to use a number already assigned to someone else?

Can't help you with the why.

I guess you could see if the moderators could pull off any magic.

Send ONE (1) private message to them here and you'll get a form back to fill out identifying information.
Then hopefully they will get back to you as soon as they can between M-F 9-9 (ET) and Sat-Sun 9-7:30 (ET). But it could be up to a couple days.
Depending on your notification settings, you would get an email notifying you of a reply. Don't reply to the email. Get back here and see a red blob over the little envelope in the upper right of your screen and click on it to see the message.

Jdarc

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jdarc wrote:

i tried (and succeeded) to get an old number i had to recover an email via the stupid two step authentication through google. however someone in my area code already had the number and now we are basically sharing the number. only no one can call me and only one or two ppl sonfar can txt me. otherwise everything goes to no another person. ive been trying to change my number ever since and no matter what number suggestion that comes up it says failed. PLEASE HELP

Try a different browser or clear cache/cookies or use incognito/privacy mode.

Also, you can only do number changes once in 30 days.

Jdarc

i tried (and succeeded) to get an old number i had to recover an email via the stupid two step authentication through google. however someone in my area code already had the number and now we are basically sharing the number. only no one can call me and only one or two ppl sonfar can txt me. otherwise everything goes to no another person. ive been trying to change my number ever since and no matter what number suggestion that comes up it says failed. PLEASE HELP

@Eagle19 wrote:

Thanks all... Now sorted out. Your help is much appreciated 

It's great that you're all sorted out  Out of curiosity, what was the area code of the number that you were originally assigned? There are Canadain area codes (example 819) that aren't toll free and are assigned to certain places within the country.

Eagle19

Thanks all... Now sorted out. Your help is much appreciated 

@Eagle19 wrote:

I have successfully set up the self serve account but don't have a previous Canadian number that's why I am considering buying a cheap SIM to get a number that's hopefully local. 

Once you login to your self-serve account, you can directly change your number from there. It will allow you to pick the province you are in and you can pick a number from the available list. To change the number, click on the "Change number" option located under your profile on the overview page. 

Eagle19

I have successfully set up the self serve account but don't have a previous Canadian number that's why I am considering buying a cheap SIM to get a number that's hopefully local. 

@Eagle19 wrote:

Basically I walked into a London drug store in Canada, paid for a SIM and was given a +1 8XX number. It's a new SIM but now I am confused if the store set it up wrongly?

Now that's a first. Since you activate at the retail store, you need to create an account here: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

It will ask you to provide the phone number and you will get a text with the code. Then you can create your self-serve account which will let you change your number. If you don't get the text, you will need to send a private message to the Moderator_Team and they will create an account for you. 

@Eagle19 wrote:

Basically I walked into a London drug store in Canada, paid for a SIM and was given a +1 8XX number. It's a new SIM but now I am confused if the store set it up wrongly?

Have you set up your self serve?  If so you can go in there and change the number that is associated with that sim card, without having to get a new sim.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Eagle19

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Eagle19 Are you saying that your sim is linked to 18xx number? If yes, that can't be. Sim cards are brand new and you need to activate here: https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

Please clarify if that is not the case. 

Need Help? Let's chat.