cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellphone is too old

DonnaRae
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a SIM card back in August & I was going to put it in my old phone.  Unfortunately, I found out that my old cellphone is apparently too old & it couldn't be unlocked.  I am wondering if I will still be charged the $20 a month fee even if I am not using any services.  I don't want to be charged money for something that isn't actually even activated yet.  Since I don't have a cellphone, I can't receive text messages.  Thank you for any assistance.

7 REPLIES 7

@DonnaRae

If you did not sign up for autopay with credit card, you should be fine and will not be charged beyond the first month. 

However, once you activated at London drugs with 1st $20 fee, your plan started immediately even if your phone is not working.  Public Mobile is a Prepaid service.  Generally, no refunds.

You can buy some reasonably priced phone on the market these days and just put your SIM card into the new phone and you should be good to go.  

tbark
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If Autopay is not turned on the most you will be out is the $29. But you should check on your account.

To get help with your account, activation, or service?

Please contact the Community Moderator Team to get help with your account.

They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue (More details).

Click here to send them a private message.

In your message please include:

PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].

Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received

Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.

There is no need to send multiple messages.

*I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me*

DonnaRae

I didn't set up Autopay, so I have only paid the $10 SIM card fee & the first $20 monthly fee, but I don't know if I'm still charged even if I haven't received the "activation" text message.  I have a really old NOKIA that was through Virgin Mobile & I contacted them & they said they couldn't unlock it, but if I sent it to them, they could send it to Nokia to see if they could possibly unlock it.  Needless to say, I didn't do that.  Thanks for your help.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DonnaRae wrote:

I signed up at London Drugs, paid the $10 fee for the SIM card & have done the first $20 fee for the first month, but didn't set up Autopay.  I haven't received the "activation" text message, so I don't actually know if the account is activated already & I am being charged or not.  Thanks for your help.

Which phone do you have?

Unless you phone supports only GSM (2G), it will work with PM.

If your phone is CDMA phone not using SIM card, it will not work in Canada any more.

DonnaRae

I signed up at London Drugs, paid the $10 fee for the SIM card & have done the first $20 fee for the first month, but didn't set up Autopay.  I haven't received the "activation" text message, so I don't actually know if the account is activated already & I am being charged or not.  Thanks for your help.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DonnaRae wrote:

I bought a SIM card back in August & I was going to put it in my old phone.  Unfortunately, I found out that my old cellphone is apparently too old & it couldn't be unlocked.  I am wondering if I will still be charged the $20 a month fee even if I am not using any services.  I don't want to be charged money for something that isn't actually even activated yet.  Since I don't have a cellphone, I can't receive text messages.  Thank you for any assistance.

PM is a prepaid service.  There is no refund for prepaid service.  All prepaid services, such as 7-11 Spreakout, Chatr, Lucky etc, do not refund unused service.

Login to your PM account to disable your autopay so that PM will not continue to charge your credit card.

What phone do you have?  I may be able to get it going.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you only BOUGHT the sim card, and actually haven't activated it, then you won't be charged anything.

Did you go through the sign-up process?

GC

Need Help? Let's chat.