cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell data stopped working on one iPhone

Frustration33
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi folks, both kids on Public Mobile and zero issues until about a week ago.  One iPhone 5s has stopped working with cell data.  Barely used any of the 500mb + 500 mb bonus plan.  Daughter really only uses phone to message mom from school bus and that now only works when at home on wifi.  Have tried looking at all settings but they are identical to other daughters phone that works fine.  Phone works fine for calls, everything works fine when on wifi but as soon as I turn off wifi her messaging no longer working.  Help please!!!!

21 REPLIES 21

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

There is no 'data warning' setting on iPhone. Probably there are some third party apps that you could use for it but I find they don't always match to what PM is seeing.  You can see what 'apps' were using and disable any app that you don't want to have access to Cell Data. You can use this link to get more info (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201299)
If they used snapchat, that eats data. My kids use 2-3GB per month for SnapChat but unfortunately, that's the way kids nowadays communicate. 
So, disable anything that you can, especially big consumers like YouTube, any video/audio stream apps. Even apps that are not big users, but you don't need them to use data. 

I will do a couple of posts of what work for me. 

Do set up cellular and only allow what apps are to use Data and there is another selection to do any updates over wifi only NOT data. The only thing that Apple does not do....allow a lock on settings to keep children and seniors out of changing settings!!!!!

Ok here is my APN setting. 

IMG_0851.png

Next will be Messages settings. 

IMG_0857.png

IMG_0858.png

IMG_0859.png

IMG_0860.png

There is no low warning from iPhone. 

I do believe there is one from PM thought.....let some one else respond to that. Especially if you have an add-on for Data on top of your 30 allotted amount. 

I rarely used mine all as I turn off my data  all the time. Turn on to use and off after use. 

Don't depend to have wifi prevail as if you are in a dead spot....data will take over. So if in a known wifi area turn off the data. 

And lastly what does My Account show for Data left and also where was Data used by date and time. 

@Frustration33 

This post might help too.....i need @LurganIeUk to weigh in with his instructions for iPhone.

Spoiler
Re: Data usage on iPhone despite turning cellular data off

@frankslo wrote:
After one month of being a member of PM, I have to state again that for some reason Data on my iPhone are being used much faster then with my previous provider. I turned off all suggested features on my phone, only keep most necessary things on, and even when cellular is turned fully off it still counts data. Something must leak, and I think professional attention is required! 
To do the same things I did before with less than 100 MB data, I now need more than 250 MB.

I would just like to find out if there is some leakage with data, and if it can be fixed.

When you audit your cell data usage from all apps (preferably after a reset of stats), is it leaking from a line that shows as "Uninstalled Apps"?  If so, that might be due to a bug in iOS 13 (it's unclear when this surfaced, maybe around 13.4?).  I haven't personally experienced this, but have read about some users seeing the data counter for "Uninstalled Apps" creep up inexplicably.  For example Google "ios 13 cell data leakage", and you'll find this referenced quite a bit.  Only fix at this point is to backup, wipe, and restore.

I've had no issues with cell data usage on my iPhone SE on PM (running iOS 13.5.1), and data use has been about where I'd expect, from the apps I knowingly use accordingly.  In fact the data use counter on the phone is within reasonable range compared to the counter on the PM Self-Serve portal.

One of my phones is an iPhone 4S (limited to iOS 9.3.6), and I've managed to stretch out a 200MB data add-on for over a year, even while leaving cellular data turned on all the time (it's usually on WiFi).  With this phone, I've disabled Cellular Data for all apps except "Find iPhone" (in case I ever lose it and want to recover it), and a couple apps I use for business, and of course "System Services" which can't be disabled (includes iMessage, etc.).

@Frustration33 

I'm an android user but go to settings, data usage, then somewhere in there...

Frustration33

Thanks.  How do i set data warning?

Frustration33

She is only supposed to use phone for texting but I think she's used it for snapchat and maybe looking at something on the web 

@Frustration33 

Yes. Add $15 to her balance then select the 1gb data add on and submit it and confirm the purchase.

BTW....turning background data alone can save up to 38% of data usage. I set my warning at 25% and my limiter at 50% to avoid any nasty surprises.....then just reset again keeping in mind what has already been used.

Yes but @esjliv beat me to the punch.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Wait a second... @Frustration33 

If your daughter is only mostly texting, why does she need a data addon?

Simple texting should still work without data. Am i missing something?

@Frustration33 

One tiktok video can use a lot of data. Make sure you enable all of the data saving tools in the phone. Turn off wifi assist and all of the background data in each app. Enable SMS/MMS messaging so she is not using iMessage which requires data. Set the data warning and limiter so she can be aware of usage before running out. Pm sends text message warnings out at 75% and 95% usage.

@Frustration33 wrote:

thanks all when i review her usage it shows a few days where she used data from 171 mb to 335 mb or so and all together she hit the 1 gb limit.  Can i temporarily buy her more data from now until her cycle ends March 8th?

Hi @Frustration33 ,

You can buy data in the SELF SERVE account. Found here:

esjliv_0-1613698281498.png

The addons roll over until used up. Plan data always gets used up when the plan renews.

Frustration33

thanks all when i review her usage it shows a few days where she used data from 171 mb to 335 mb or so and all together she hit the 1 gb limit.  Can i temporarily buy her more data from now until her cycle ends March 8th?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Frustration33 

Check the setting I on the iPhone.

Setting>Cellular>Cellular data>enable if turned off.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Frustration33 wrote:

When I click on data and add on's it doesn't show me anything other than her phone number and looks like this...

Data & Add-On Usage

Usage for Phone Number 555-555-5555
If a feature is not listed above, it may have been fully consumed and no longer available for use.

Your Data & Add-On limit will show the total min./MB available on your account at the time of your last Add-On purchase.

U.S. Roaming Add-Ons expire after 10 days. Any unused data expires at the end of the U.S. Roaming Add-On. Add-Ons that are not U.S. Roaming related do not have expiry dates. Any remaining data or minutes in your Add-On will continue to roll over until they are used up. In-plan data expires at the end of your renewal cycle. It does not roll over to your next 30 or 90-day cycle.

@Frustration33 hi if it shows nothing then he used it all it can go in minutes if he was watching anything video intensive or some app running in the background

@Frustration33 

Your daughter has used all of her data. You can check daily usage by clicking on the "usage" button on the overview page under "my plan". Data usage is updated here twice a day in 12 hour time blocks.

Frustration33

When I click on data and add on's it doesn't show me anything other than her phone number and looks like this...

Data & Add-On Usage

Usage for Phone Number 555-555-5555
If a feature is not listed above, it may have been fully consumed and no longer available for use.

Your Data & Add-On limit will show the total min./MB available on your account at the time of your last Add-On purchase.

U.S. Roaming Add-Ons expire after 10 days. Any unused data expires at the end of the U.S. Roaming Add-On. Add-Ons that are not U.S. Roaming related do not have expiry dates. Any remaining data or minutes in your Add-On will continue to roll over until they are used up. In-plan data expires at the end of your renewal cycle. It does not roll over to your next 30 or 90-day cycle.

@Frustration33 

Whoops I read that date as 2021 but this is the latest on the site...

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201222

iOS 12.5.1
This update has no published CVE entries.
iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPod touch (6th generation)

To add to @darlicious check point...if you do not see the DATA line item in your daughter's overview page on her SELF SEVRE account, then it was all consumed.

Check the usage history to see if you have any clues on where it could have been used up.

Managing data tips:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Frustration33 wrote:

Hi folks, both kids on Public Mobile and zero issues until about a week ago.  One iPhone 5s has stopped working with cell data.  Barely used any of the 500mb + 500 mb bonus plan.  Daughter really only uses phone to message mom from school bus and that now only works when at home on wifi.  Have tried looking at all settings but they are identical to other daughters phone that works fine.  Phone works fine for calls, everything works fine when on wifi but as soon as I turn off wifi her messaging no longer working.  Help please!!!!

@Frustration33 check your self serve under plans and add ons  to see if you used it all 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Frustration33 wrote:

Hi @Frustration33 ,

Try one or more of the below for some trouble shooting:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

**ensure SMS is enabled

**ensure MMS is enabled

**update phone with most current software

Can you try the problem SIM in another phone to see if the same thing happens?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Frustration33 

Check for the latest software updates and the APN setting. You have confirmed there is still data in her self serve account? 

Edit: Read this....

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210712

Need Help? Let's chat.