cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier is now Public Mobile, SIM still not recognized

rborthwick
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

under settings, my phone says the carrier is Public Mobile, but my Public Mobile SIM does not work. It says I need the phone unlocked by my carrier...Public Mobile, to use my Public Mobile SIM and number. I need help, and cannot get Public Mibile to help. How do I fix this AND connect to someone from Public Mobile?

9 REPLIES 9

@rborthwick wrote:

I have no previous provider. This phone has never had a number or account associated with it before. So, there is no one to call to unlock it.

This doesn't mean that the phone can't be locked. Where did you buy it and how long ago did you buy it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rborthwick : Please post the exact wording of any messages you're getting and at what point from a start up.

Can you log in to your account and see if it's active?

rborthwick

The phone providers have no record of the IMEI in their database and tell me they cannot unlock it. They are not the carrier, and have no suggestions as to who is.

rborthwick

I have no previous provider. This phone has never had a number or account associated with it before. So, there is no one to call to unlock it.

Phones can be unlocked free within the guidelines of the originating carrier that sold it.

Phones must be unlocked free within the federal laws published by CRTC wireless code.

A certain carrier might assume or pretend they have rights over the consumer which they don't actually have. Quite a few recent posts in these forums suggests that the carrier still gets away with it. I guess partly because most people don't know better and partly because most people are too polite to interrupt the officially disguised foot-in-the-door sales pitch. Even though the carrier is effectively holding the customer's property hostage.

Phones can be unlocked free within the guidelines of the originating carrier that sold it. 

What kind of phone do you have?

Also to verify your issue...put SIM in a Telus phone or an unlocked phone.

Some manufacturers will unlock your phone. 

Some phone shops will unlock your phone for a price. 

Some online places will unlock your phone. 

Some places on eBay will unlock your phone. 

The term unlock can also mean that someone can provide you with the CODE to unlock your phone. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@rborthwick wrote:

Hello,

under settings, my phone says the carrier is Public Mobile, but my Public Mobile SIM does not work. It says I need the phone unlocked by my carrier...Public Mobile, to use my Public Mobile SIM and number. I need help, and cannot get Public Mibile to help. How do I fix this AND connect to someone from Public Mobile?

@rborthwick 

Here's a good article from Canada's regulatory body on locked mobile devices:

We updated the Wireless Code – what you should know! | CRTC

@rborthwick 

You can contact Public Mobile by submitting a support ticket request through Simon chatbot or by sending a private msg to @CS_Agent 

But they can't unlock your phone. Only the original carrier (which sold the phone) can do that. And until they do, the phone will only work on their network(s), not on Public Mobile, not anywhere else.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@rborthwick wrote:

Hello,

@rborthwick 

Locked Phone? Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you.

You will need your imei number dial *#06# to get it.

Keep these network trouble shooting tips close:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

Need Help? Let's chat.