cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive incoming phone calls from long distance numbers

jtjasontran
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I recently signed my mother up for the $15 30 day plan  which includes Canada-wide talk. I tried to port over her number from Speakout Wireless but it failed so I just went into the self-serve account and choose a new number for her there. She received a new 236 area code phone number. Everything seemed okay, she can access data, text messages and incoming/outgoing calls to local phone numbers are fine. But we have family visiting from Toronto using 647 area codes trying to call my mother's cell phone but it does not work. My family visiting from Toronto could call my personal phone just fine and everyone else's phone here in Vancouver, just not my mother's cell phone. The weird thing is that my mother's cell phone can call outgoing to their 647 area codes just fine but cannot receive any incoming from long distance numbers. We added the +1 infront of the number and tried without it too. I restarted the phones and still doesn't work. I am stumped, please help @Moderator_Team

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

jtjasontran
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I fixed it! If anyone else is having this problem, I took out the sim card and reset the phone then inserted it back in and tried again. Now it works.

Thanks all.

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @jtjasontran , If your mother’s account at Speakout is still active you can contact the “moderator team” here at Public Mobile to port her old number over for her. 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hello @jtjasontran 

If you google search the issue, you will notice others have experienced the same issue. Unfortunately there's no clue how they got it resolved.

The issue may take some time to resolve as multiple carriers seem to be involved.

Besides contacting the carriers involved to resolve the issue, the only options I can think of are:
1. Short term: When your relatives want to talk to your mother, ask them to text her. Your mother can then call them.
2. Avoid area code 236 for now. Request a port or change your mother's phone number.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@jtjasontranIt seems a few carriers seem to have problems with the new area code overlays (well they are not that new). If your mom's phone number is not receiving calls could be problems with your relatives' carriers. Dialing out would be a Public Mobile's problem, but receiving would be the relatives' carriers.

If you still need to contact the moderators, you can do so with this link.

Need Help? Let's chat.