cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot make outgoing calls or receive calls

roxanne-michael
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just purchased a phone for my son since he broke his other one.  He has been with Public Mobile for a year now.  The new phone is compatible and I inserted the Public Mobile SIM card from his old phone - thinking everything would work instantly.  He can send and receive texts but cannot make outgoing calls or receive calls.  For outgoing calls he gets a recording that says "he does not have an active long distance add-on" even though his phone package includes province-wide calling and the calls were local.  I've sent a message to the Moderator for Public Mobile.  How long does this normally take?

30 REPLIES 30

@roxanne-michael wrote:

I feel your pain.  My situation is exactly the same.  Everything worked until it didn't.  I can text and receive texts but cannot call or receive calls because of the "long distance add-on" recording.  My package includes this but I still cannot receive or place calls.  The Moderator emailed me Wednesday of last week.  I replied the following day and this is Wednesday of a new week with no reply back.  I'm not sure Public Mobile is worth the cheaper bills when you have issues like this that can't be fixed in a timely manner.

@CS_Agent 

Are you saying the moderator never replied back after you completed the verification?  I really think you need to message them again and let them know you've been waiting all this time for a fix to your issue. 

Just one other thing (if you haven't already done so) is to top up your account with $1 or $2 and reboot phone.  Sometimes this will reset the account.  Obviously ignore this if you've already tried it.

roxanne-michael

I feel your pain.  My situation is exactly the same.  Everything worked until it didn't.  I can text and receive texts but cannot call or receive calls because of the "long distance add-on" recording.  My package includes this but I still cannot receive or place calls.  The Moderator emailed me Wednesday of last week.  I replied the following day and this is Wednesday of a new week with no reply back.  I'm not sure Public Mobile is worth the cheaper bills when you have issues like this that can't be fixed in a timely manner.

@CS_Agent 

@roxanne-michael wrote:

I tried the phone lost/stolen option and nothing changed.

How long before the Moderator replies?  

It could take usually up to 2 days.Smiley Frustrated

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It seems that Moderator replies can take a couple hours or a couple days. It's just a waiting game I'm afraid.

roxanne-michael

I tried the phone lost/stolen option and nothing changed.

How long before the Moderator replies?  

HarveyW

My issue is finally resolved - had to re-provision the services on the account to push some network updates.  Carlos the moderator has been a great help!

@HarveyW wrote:

Hi there, just received from moderator however before we can proceed there's a verification process.  With that done who knows how long before they will get back to you.

I've done the lost/stolen and reboot ... it doesn't work for me.  To enable me to use the phone for outgoing calls, I had to purchase 200 mins of long distance and that did the trick.  But why do I have to do that in order to call out locally?

@HarveyW  After verification it doesn't take long. Smiley Happy

HarveyW

Hi there, just received from moderator however before we can proceed there's a verification process.  With that done who knows how long before they will get back to you.

I've done the lost/stolen and reboot ... it doesn't work for me.  To enable me to use the phone for outgoing calls, I had to purchase 200 mins of long distance and that did the trick.  But why do I have to do that in order to call out locally?

@LaurenB wrote:

Harvey - I can empathize.  I messaged the moderators on May 11 - this is day 4.  Still no service whatsoever and no reply.  I messaged again today. 

I had a working phone from February to May, so my SIM was fully activated and it should not be a problem with my account.  I am on Autopay.  I topped up anyway in case it was a problem with my credit card - that was not the problem.  I did not exceed my minutes or texts, as I have unlimited calling and make relatively few calls.  Is there a way to tag a message to the moderators as "urgent", besides the subject heading?

I'll try the lost/stolen phone trick....

Tha is a long time to wait for a response, glad you've messaged them again.  BTW after doing the lost/stolen trick, do a reboot of the phone too which allows the account to reset.

Hopefully this will work.  Wishing you luck!

@HarveyW wrote:

I just purchased 200 mins. For $8.00 and am now able to make outgoing calls.  So...is this a ploy for us to purchase long distance when don't need it?  

Not sure if you have the old $15 plan with 100 mins/in and out, or the new one with ulimited incoming, but even with the new one if you've sent 100 minutes you have used up what's available for the plan.  The add-on minutes (at 4cents/min) are both inexpensive and reasonable to have as a back up to tide you over until renewal.

LaurenB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried the lost/stolen phone trick.  Still unable to place outgoing calls.

@geopublic wrote:

@roxanne-michael wrote:

I get the PM recording to pay my bill, cancel autopay, etc.  

@roxanne-michael   Good that means that the plan is active.

While you are waiting for moderator, you may try the lost/stolen phone trick:

To report your phone stolen. Login to your selfserve account. Choose Plans and Add-ons tab. Choose the Lost/Stolen Phone tab. Choose Suspend Service tab. Wait a few minutes. Report your phone found. Re-start you phone

LaurenB

Harvey - I can empathize.  I messaged the moderators on May 11 - this is day 4.  Still no service whatsoever and no reply.  I messaged again today. 

I had a working phone from February to May, so my SIM was fully activated and it should not be a problem with my account.  I am on Autopay.  I topped up anyway in case it was a problem with my credit card - that was not the problem.  I did not exceed my minutes or texts, as I have unlimited calling and make relatively few calls.  Is there a way to tag a message to the moderators as "urgent", besides the subject heading?

I'll try the lost/stolen phone trick....

HarveyW

I just purchased 200 mins. For $8.00 and am now able to make outgoing calls.  So...is this a ploy for us to purchase long distance when don't need it?  

@roxanne-michael wrote:

@roxanne-michael   Good that means that the plan is active.

While you are waiting for moderator, you may try the lost/stolen phone trick:

To report your phone stolen. Login to your selfserve account. Choose Plans and Add-ons tab. Choose the Lost/Stolen Phone tab. Choose Suspend Service tab. Wait a few minutes. Report your phone found. Re-start you phone

roxanne-michael

HarveyW

Thanks but that could be it as I rec'd a msg saying that I have 10 mins. left.

3mom

The only thing I can say about not being able to make any outgoing calls is that perhaps you exceeded the 100 minutes before your 30 days was up. But I would message @CS_Agent again & they will get back to you. My experience with them has been great!

HarveyW

I've done that and it was working for at least 10 days. Then after that I keep getting the msg that I don't have a L/D plan on my account.  I'm on the $15.  Still waiting for the moderator...this is day 3.

Kf72

I’m pretty sure that you need to register the SIM card numbers to have your plan fully operational that’s why it would give you that message  sign in to your account and add it. Then it should be activated 

HarveyW

Thanks, just did. 

3mom

@HarveyW I'd suggest messaging @CS_Agent again if they haven't messaged you back yet if it has been past 48 hours. I'm sorry that you are dissatisfied with your service being a new Public Mobile customer, but it will be rectified by a moderator. 

HarveyW

a couple of days ago - no response.

3mom

@LaurenB how long ago did you message the moderators? Typically they respond within 4-24 hours within receiving a message. I know it is really frustrating, but they are working hard to get it rectified. 

HarveyW

I'm having the same problem.  Left a msg with the moderator a couple days ago but no answer.  Tried the lost and stolen method...nothing - doesn't work.  Tried replacing the SIM card - doesn't work...same problem.  Reboot ...nothing. 

Thinking about buying add'l L/D to see if this rectify but am not sure whether or not this works...could waste the add'l $ if this is not the solution. 

Being a first time PM customer I'm not impressed so far as I've only had this plan for a couple of weeks.

LaurenB

I have been having the same problem for 3 days now.  I have been a PM customer for several months - local numbers that I could previously call now all return the message "you do not have an active long distance add-on".  Please help.  I have messaged the moderator team, but no reply yet and I need a working phone by tomorrow.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could try to reset your sim/account with the lost phone trick.

To report your phone stolen.  Login to your account.  Choose Plans and Add-onstab. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab.  The choose Suspend Service tab.  Logout.  Wait few minutes.  Login in and report your phone found.

3mom

Log into your online account and see what your plan says. Some accounts had a small glitch which can be fixed by messaging the moderator team. Moderator team should get back to you within 24 hours. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@roxanne-michael wrote:

I just purchased a phone for my son since he broke his other one.  He has been with Public Mobile for a year now.  The new phone is compatible and I inserted the Public Mobile SIM card from his old phone - thinking everything would work instantly.  He can send and receive texts but cannot make outgoing calls or receive calls.  For outgoing calls he gets a recording that says "he does not have an active long distance add-on" even though his phone package includes province-wide calling and the calls were local.  I've sent a message to the Moderator for Public Mobile.  How long does this normally take?

@roxanne-michael  When you dial *611 from the phone what happens?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@roxanne-michael wrote:

@roxanne-michael  it can take up to 48 hours to get a response depends on volume of messages in the queue.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@roxanne-michael wrote:

For outgoing calls try dial 1 first before area code. 

Need Help? Let's chat.