cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Receive Text Messages

annacheung66
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I only switched to Public Mobile yesterday.  It hasn't even been a full 24 hours and already I lost the ability to receive text messages.  This is a BIG problem because 1) I receive verification codes sent from my work Outlook email so I can access my work email from home and 2) as one of the city's designated vaccine ambassadors, I help people book vaccine appointments (for those who are somehow not able to book one themselves).  People call and text me almost daily with requests for vaccine bookings and now I cannot receive texts.

29 REPLIES 29

@Hatethephiones  When you are ready to come back .. let us know what you have tried.. we won't let you  without text for any longer.. we need to get you UP and RUNNING!!  🙂

Hatethephiones
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am taking a break. Will get back to this, but it is been all day and I am beat ! 
Thank you

@Hatethephiones 

What kind of phone do you have? iPhone or an Android? Tell us your make and model it will make it easier for us to identify the problem and walk you thru the steps to fix it. Don't fret....I knew nothing about smartphones and technology when I first started here. The community is very helpful and will help guide you along the way. Just take a deep breath and answer a couple of questions.

@Hatethephiones wrote:

When I put on cellular does that use data? I do not want to use data when home with my own modem

You have an option to enable data while cell is active otherwise phone will work as a phone + texting but no internet.

Be careful when enabling DATA as OS and apps might slowly drain your data allowances with constant Internet communication..

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Hatethephiones 

If any suggestion solves your issue, it would be very helpful to let us know.

Other members will benefit from it.

@Hatethephiones wrote:

When I put on cellular does that use data? I do not want to use data when home with my own modem

did you disable Airplane mode?  If you want to be careful, you can disable Airplane mode and go to Mobile data and disable it, in this case it won't use data

As long as you can make calls, you should be able to send and receive text.  Try again.  

Also,  you have a 2nd phone around? maybe try to put your SIM in and see if text is working

@Hatethephiones wrote:

That feature needs to be on when you use mms but it won't use your data.

@Hatethephiones wrote:

How to do that?
I has issues with virgin, but it was them that screwed things up and never made right, regrding billing, they still owe me money but I could not spend one more minute with them

@Hatethephiones 

To force stop the Messaging app, you can follow the steps as:

1. Go to the Settings menu and open the Application.
  2. In the Application Manager, swipe down to see all the applications.
  3. Now, look for the Messaging app in the list and click on it when you find it.
  4. When you open the app info, you will see options that says Clear Cache and Force Stop.
  5. Tap on it and then restart your device.

Hatethephiones

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hatethephiones wrote:

I don't know, I am going to cry/scream soon!! 
I can not text. I do not know if I can receive text. This is another all day effort the friggin chat bot keeps repeating the same questions in circles

@Hatethephiones 

Explain your issue to Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,
they can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck...

Hatethephiones

How to do that?
I has issues with virgin, but it was them that screwed things up and never made right, regrding billing, they still owe me money but I could not spend one more minute with them

Hatethephiones

I don't know, I am going to cry/scream soon!! 
I can not text. I do not know if I can receive text. This is another all day effort the friggin chat bot keeps repeating the same questions in circles

@Hatethephiones wrote:

Me too!!!! 
Totally not sure what I am doing I had Virgin and switched to PM a couple of weeks ago, having had nightmares for 2 months with texting and phones!!! I am still not able to text!

@Hatethephiones 

You have texting issues since you were with Virgin?

Try to clear the Messaging cache, stop and restart the app.

And don't forget, if you want to use mms, cellular data needs to be On.

@Hatethephiones wrote:

Me too!!!! 
Totally not sure what I am doing I had Virgin and switched to PM a couple of weeks ago, having had nightmares for 2 months with texting and phones!!! I am still not able to text!

@Hatethephiones   you cannot send outgoing text? or not able to receiving incoming text? 

But voice calls are all both for both incoming and outgoing?  and Mobile data works without issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hatethephiones wrote:

Me too!!!! 

@Hatethephiones 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

and you can try to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

for iphone  go to Settings > Messages > To turn iMessage on or off, 

Turn your data on to send a Picture Messaging in world-wide,

if your data is off and your home internet wifi is on is not going through the Picture or a video Messaging, 

you have to do this to is going through you will need to turn your data on to send a Picture or a video Messaging in world-wide,

make sure your Data is on.

can you try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone 

This is quick and simple,

Hatethephiones

Me too!!!! 

NatalieAK

I have a feeling i'm going through exactly the same thing. They don't make that clear when you're switching over, but once I go into the community section THEN i see that it's a critical step! Just waiting to hear back from Public Mobile customer services, fingers crossed it's the same fix ASAP.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@annacheung66 

I'm happy you figured it out!  Porting is a complex process, and to save people from fraudulently stealing phone numbers, they implemented this "Confirmation" step.  Don't worry - you're not the only one being tripped up by this process... alas, all is well now.  🙂

annacheung66

Hi,

It actually was stupid and was my fault.  It was the first time in my life that I switched to a new provider so I did not know that I was supposed to wait for the old provider to send me a text to ask me for permission to port the new number to the new provider.  (If only they followed up with an email or something, you know? 😉  )  I already replaced the old SIM card with the new SIM card so of course I never received that text.  So the number was never ported over to Public Mobile.  So I spent the entire day doing a whole lot of back and forth between the 2 providers and PM had to resubmit the port request and then Bell re-sent me the text and I gave my permission.  Finally everything was transferred over and I was able to receive texts but still not able to send them.  Then suddenly it was okay.  the moderator said he "cleared my network settings" so maybe that did the trick or maybe that had nothing to do with it and sometimes you need to give technology a couple more minutes to do things.....;) Anyhow it is fine now!  Thanks for asking!

[✔️  ...... Luddite]

BlueB

@annacheung66 

That's great to hear... thanks for letting us know. 🙂

What was the solution?

annacheung66

Thank you all who took the time to reply to my question. 

The situation has been resolved and I am now able to send and receive text messages.

Thank you again.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@BlueB wrote:

Public Mobile is great for low cost plans, but like most other things, is not for everybody.

I agree with you in general.

But everything has its own price.

If somebody prefers instant support - PM is not for them.

If somebody loves reliable network, low service cost and can live with delayed support (meaning he/she CAN live without a mobile body attachment for a few hours) then PM is the right choice.

@annacheung66  one last note,  even with regular mobile text, some smaller providers will take long to know your new "home".   I  believe the official email did say 72 hours for porting to complete.  within this 72 hours, some service might work but you might still miss some calls or email .  That is normal for porting with all providers

BlueB

@Meow wrote:

Even though PM being no frills mobile provider it uses Telus network and I doubt because we do not pay through the nose we are not going to have proper service.

So far I never experienced SMS delay or SMS not working but I might be just lucky? And I do receive unwanted calls from Arizona, Kansas, etc. numbers meaning phone service is working 😋

There is a difference between the reliability of network and the customer service between Telus and its subsidiaries, such as Public Mobile.  Network reliability is the same, but the level of end-user service and support is not.

With Telus, if there is an issue, you can go to a Telus Store or call them and get live support to correct any issues.  With Public Mobile, it's online-community driven with delayed messaging with Moderators that may take minutes, or hours/days to resolve.  In person at a Telus store can be very quick and effective, and these differences can make a big difference.

Public Mobile is great for low cost plans, but like most other things, is not for everybody.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@annacheung66   do you not able to receive any text at all or just some text not receiving?  how about incoming calls?

not sure about the system you mentioned,  but some bank 2FA text won't work right a way after porting. that is a security measure the bank system put on.  It needs couple days to get it working on those system.  Of course, I don't know if your system has that.

Also, its normal some systems take couple days to learn the new "home" of your number.  (your type of text is not generated from real phone , so likely in this situation.)  it is a routing issue and it is normal.   usually in this situation, it takes 48 to 72 hours to clear it up.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@annacheung66 wrote:

Hello,

I only switched to Public Mobile yesterday.  It hasn't even been a full 24 hours and already I lost the ability to receive text messages.  This is a BIG problem because 1) I receive verification codes sent from my work Outlook email so I can access my work email from home and 2) as one of the city's designated vaccine ambassadors, I help people book vaccine appointments (for those who are somehow not able to book one themselves).  People call and text me almost daily with requests for vaccine bookings and now I cannot receive texts.

- Were you able to receive SMS/calls AFTER you switched to PM?

- Did you port your old number or picked up brand new one?

- What will you do your job if you do not have, do not like, afraid of cell phones? Not all people like these gizmos for whatever reason...

- Being 'vaxx ambasador' should not you get tools to do that job?

- And for fun question: maybe your phone got Delta, Lambda or whatever is next?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@BlueB wrote:

Last but not least, remember that you are using a budget provider - Telus' lowest tier of services.  This is very no frills... if you consider your work functions "mission critical" - you'll probably want to upgrade to Koodo or Telus.  These are more expensive but also provide you with a higher level of service.

Even though PM being no frills mobile provider it uses Telus network and I doubt because we do not pay through the nose we are not going to have proper service.

So far I never experienced SMS delay or SMS not working but I might be just lucky? And I do receive unwanted calls from Arizona, Kansas, etc. numbers meaning phone service is working 😋

BlueB

@annacheung66 

Welcome to Public Mobile!  🙂

When you switched, did you request to port/transfer your number?  This can be a very complex process in the background.  On your old SIM/account, make sure it's powered up so you can confirm the number transfer.  It will take a few hours from there from another mobile account, or up to a week for landline accounts.  Your old service will stop working when the number has been successfully ported (and give it a few hours for the update to propogate through the system).

If you activated a new number and are NOT transferring/porting a number, reach out to a Moderator (chat bubble, lower-right corner) and open a ticket as your account was probably not set up correctly.

Last but not least, remember that you are using a budget provider - Telus' lowest tier of services.  This is very no frills... if you consider your work functions "mission critical" - you'll probably want to upgrade to Koodo or Telus.  These are more expensive but also provide you with a higher level of service.

Goodluck!  🙂  Let us know if there's anything else we might be missing here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@annacheung66 

do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

or can you do try reseat the SIM card

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. wipe it clean SIM card,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

How to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  HERE 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click HERE 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  HERE 

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click HERE

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visiting HERE.

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

for iphone  go to Settings > Messages > To turn iMessage on or off,

Need Help? Let's chat.