cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Make An Account Because I can't Get The Text Message

JustinKerr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I signed up for a 30 day data plan and purchased from Walmart.

I purchased the sim to use in a project for work, on a data controller that I was demoing. 

I want to cancel the auto pay, but I can't finish making the account because it needs to send me a text message, which my data controller cannot receive, and is installed at a location a 3 hour drive away. 

How do I make an account if I only have my email, and the phone number?

Very frustrating there is nobody I can call to get help with this BTW.

12 REPLIES 12

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello JustinKerr,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

In order to better assist you in regards to your Self-Serve registration, please send us a private message.

Cheers

Abdoulaye

JustinKerr

The registration page doesn't list "SMS" as a requirement to register until you start.

There is no amount of research that I could have done to prevent running into this issue.

Need To Create an Account?

Setting up your self serve account allows you to easily make payments, change your plan, select add-ons, and more.

You'll need:

• An Email Address
  • Your Public Mobile Phone Number

JustinKerr

I was doing this with Bell and Rogers before I tried PM, and never needed to "get an SMS to verify". PM requires an email to activate, you pick the pin (2nd factor authentication), and they could verify other information such as address, billing info etc. 

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JustinKerr wrote:

You guys both work for PM, so that's how you know they have zero interest in supporting non-phones right?

They sell data only packages with no text message or minutes, and on the getting started page it also lists the IMEI of my non-phone device as "compatible".

Your device should work on our Network.
Your device has not been reported as lost or stolen.

Thanks to the first responder for putting me in touch with the MOD's who could address my problem. I'm happy to manage my account myself, I'm using the forums as a means to communicate my needs to PM so I can keep giving them $$ in the future.

You'll find that most people who are helping you on this forum DO NOT work for Public Mobile, but are helping you out of nothing but generosity. As well I am inclined to think that some people in situations like yours do not take the time to properly research what it is they are committing to. Anyway, good luck, and welcome aboard!

GC

smp99
@JustinKerr wrote:

My issue is resolved, but I should be able to do account management with the email on file, alternate, phone number, credit card on file etc. People don't just use SIM cards for use in phones. They should have a workaround method that doesn't involve "text message" for verification. Email verification + pin is just as secure and I have both those. 

Not being able to call someone as well to quickly resolve is a bummer. 

Sorry, have to disagree.

PM has to verify you are the owner of the the SIM. The only way is to send a text. There is no email on file yet (no account) and sending a pin to a random email is a security flaw. Once account is set up, maybe, but not initially. 

pakmode

Justine.

Welcome to PM. Enjoy your stay.

JustinKerr

You guys both work for PM, so that's how you know they have zero interest in supporting non-phones right?

They sell data only packages with no text message or minutes, and on the getting started page it also lists the IMEI of my non-phone device as "compatible".

Your device should work on our Network.
Your device has not been reported as lost or stolen.

Thanks to the first responder for putting me in touch with the MOD's who could address my problem. I'm happy to manage my account myself, I'm using the forums as a means to communicate my needs to PM so I can keep giving them $$ in the future.

pakmode

@Luddite wrote:

@JustinKerr wrote:

My issue is resolved, but I should be able to do account management with the email on file, alternate, phone number, credit card on file etc. People don't just use SIM cards for use in phones. They should have a workaround method that doesn't involve "text message" for verification. Email verification + pin is just as secure and I have both those. 

Sorry for the aggro, but this is Public Mobile's operating procedure. It has zero interest in supporting/facilitating any devices but phones. While their service will function on tablets, MIFIs, ATAs, etc., you must be able to manage those device yourself.

"Calling someone" is not in the cards either. All support is via this Community and private messaging to moderators. 

PM has plenty of quirks and, so, is not suitable for all users. 

Glad you did manage to get service, though. 👍 👍

Well said.

@JustinKerr wrote:

Sorry for the aggro, but this is Public Mobile's operating procedure. It has zero interest in supporting/facilitating any devices but phones. While their service will function on tablets, MIFIs, ATAs, etc., you must be able to manage those devices yourself.

"Calling someone" is not in the cards either. All support is via this Community and private messaging to moderators. 

PM has plenty of quirks and, so, is not suitable for all users. 

Glad you did manage to get service, though. 👍 👍

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

JustinKerr

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JustinKerr, I don't see a way around this.  The moderator team can assist once the account is created.  I can't see how they can be asked to create an account for the customer.  How are they to authenticate the number to the customer?  The security is through the text message which only the rightful owner can receive. 

PJC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I am not sure if there is any way around it but you may be able to get the mods to help you stop the autopay function on your account by sending them a message:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Tell them your situation and Include your account info such as name, phone number, e-mail, and pin.

Need Help? Let's chat.