cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel my new account

jenrynguyen98
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can I cancel my new account and get a refund?

14 REPLIES 14

Yes, the Wireles Code does cover prepaid plans, but services providers are going to argue that prepaid plans aren't under contract.

I'm not sure how carriers get away with that.  Part of the issue is that by everyday layman usage, prepaid plans don't make up a contract as most people think of it and based on how carriers advertise.

However, by both dictionary and legal definitions, signing up and paying for a Public Mobile service is a contract.  So for years, when carriers were advertising "no contracts" or "no contract required", that wasn't really true.   It's a contract when a consumer buys anything. Rules for pricing and making purchases at retail stores are even covered within contract law.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JGarlough:

Fine. But as you said yourself in your post, there's no mention of refunds. Just no cost.

•  to cancel your contract at no cost after a maximum of two years

Inside of 2 years? Silence.

•  to have your service suspended at no cost if your phone is lost or stolen

Ok

•  to receive a notification when you are roaming in a different country, telling you what the rates are for voice services, text messages, and data usage

I don't know. Does this happen for people going to the states? Do you get something saying what your options are from Public Mobile? I haven't been to the states since joining PM.

•  to a minimum grace period of seven calendar days in order to “top up” and retain your prepaid balance

Ok. Not quite the same system as PM though.

•  to a contract that uses plain language, and clearly describes the conditions that apply to your prepaid balance and how you can check your balance

Ok

As of December 1, 2017, you also have the right:

•  to have your phone unlocked by your service provider immediately upon request, at no charge, and newly purchased phones from your service provider must be provided to you unlocked

Ok

•  to cancel your contract and return your phone at no cost, within 15 calendar days and if you have not used more than half of the usage specified in your monthly plan limits, if you are unhappy with your service

Is pre-paid a simple 30/90 day contract? I guess. So you have 15 days from each renewal. The language leaves a little ambiguity too. Is it - cancel your contract at no cost? Is it - return your phone at no cost? Is it - cancel your contract AND return your phone combined at no cost? No mention of a refund. Just no cost ie. penalty. Would forgoing the remaining pre-paid value be called a penalty/cost? Dunno.

PM doesn't sell phones so that part's not relevant.

JGarlough

@Anonymous wrote:

...I think this is speaking to the contract terms where they used to be 3 years and people were complaining....

I don't think ANY pre-paid provider will provide any refunds for early term cancellations or port-outs.

@Anonymous Canada's  Wireless Code does apply to all pre-paid plans.  It outlines what is legal for pre-paid providers to do and it outlines the penalties and fines for any providers who choose to ignore the code. There is also a complaints process in place.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JGarlough:

I seem to recall that there used to be something about cancellation fees.Not specifically here just generally in the business.

I think this is speaking to the contract terms where they used to be 3 years and people were complaining. So they made it 2 years. Thus the maximum of 2 years wording.

I don't think ANY pre-paid provider will provide any refunds for early term cancellations or port-outs.

JGarlough

@jenrynguyen98 wrote:

It is not clear if the "at no cost" part of the final paragraph below means "at no ADDITIONAL cost" or if you are entitled to a refund for the pre-paid plan you signed up for but are unhappy with.   You can contact the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services for clarification: Toll-free at1-888-221-1687 or via email: response@ccts-cprst.ca.

Here are your rights according to Canada's Wireless Code:

Do you pay before you use your wireless service? If so, you have the right:

•  to cancel your contract at no cost after a maximum of two years
  •  to have your service suspended at no cost if your phone is lost or stolen
  •  to receive a notification when you are roaming in a different country, telling you what the rates are for voice services, text messages, and data usage
  •  to a minimum grace period of seven calendar days in order to “top up” and retain your prepaid balance
  •  to a contract that uses plain language, and clearly describes the conditions that apply to your prepaid balance and how you can check your balance

As of December 1, 2017, you also have the right:

•  to have your phone unlocked by your service provider immediately upon request, at no charge, and newly purchased phones from your service provider must be provided to you unlocked
  •  to cancel your contract and return your phone at no cost, within 15 calendar days and if you have not used more than half of the usage specified in your monthly plan limits, if you are unhappy with your service

ashleyb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public Mobile is prepaid. They don't issue refunds if you've changed your mind your best bet is to

• Remove your credit card if you have it linked online.
  • Use the remaining time you have until this plan expires

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@jenrynguyen98 wrote:

Possibly, but only if you are quite new and have used very little service. Ask nicely and you have a pleasant surprise. 

Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your request along with your phone number and 4 digit PIN. If you’ve forgotten the PIN, provide any 3 of the following in your message: complete mailing address, email address, alternate phone number, last top up date & amount.

Moderator hours are: Monday to Friday, 9 am (ET) to 9 pm (ET); Saturday - Sunday 9 am (ET) - 7:30 pm (ET). Usually they answer within in 24 hours, but can take a few days.

If you plan to keep your PM phone number, the account must remain active until you have transferred to your new carrier.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jenrynguyen98 sad to see you go, PM Networks is much better than Fido, I know you having issue with your textings but be patients, once your problems is sloved you will be very happy with PM

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

As this is a prepaid service...once you pay, you can't usually get any refund. You can try to contact the moderators and plead your case, but in general....nope. Good luck.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jenrynguyen98

PM plans are prepaid plans.  There is no refund for prepaid plan in Canada.  PM does not give refund as well.

lat34hat34
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you stop making payments for 91 days after your last payment was due (and disable auto renew), your account will be deleted. Howver, you also said you're looking for a refund. My advice would be to message the Mod Team here and let them know what you want to do. I'm sure they'll help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jenrynguyen98 wrote:

As mimmo_L says you can just let it expire when it can't find money to renew. You can technically request a cancellation.

But for either situation I'm not sure refunds are possible.

I see you only just joined and are having issues with texting. Was this resolved? Or are you just not wanting to wait for the reply from the mods?

I have heard about transferring balances to a different Public Mobile customer like say a friend or relative.

In all cases...talk to the mods when you do get a reply for your other matter if you did send them a private message before.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@jenrynguyen98 wrote:

Have you tried activating with a new number than try to port?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

No. Just rove your credit card info. And account will expire by itself.

Need Help? Let's chat.