cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-wide calling - FROM anywhere as well?

WesternWalrus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm Canadian but have been living abroad for several years. I'm coming back to Canada in a few weeks, and will be living in BC for a few months, and then Ontario for a few more months. After that, I'm not sure where I'll be.

I've been looking at a few of the packages, and I want to make sure I understand the Canada-wide talk option. So does that mean that I can call FROM as many parts of Canada as I want, TO as many parts of Canada as I want? So effectively, provinces don't exist – there's just Canada? Or does it mean you can call TO anywhere you want, but only from the province your number is based in?

So for my example, if I get a BC number and then later move to Ontario, can I still make and receive calls while I'm in Ontario to/from Newfoundland, Manitoba, Alberta, etc. without having to pay extra?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@popping wrote:

@ute1978 wrote:

Something important to note as well!

Your phone number's area code will have effect on the taxes you are going to pay. So when choosing a phone number in the activation process I would advise to chose an area code which is the smallest in PST (in your case BC).

I know this because I live in Alberta and have a Saskatchewan phone number. I pay 11% in taxes on my bill instead of just 5% in Alberta.

You should change your phone number to an AB number and get a free Fongo SK number call forwarded to your AB number so that your SK friends and family can call you without long distance charge and you save 6% tax.

I know, but my phone number is at least 8 years old and so many log ins, authentications,  contacts and so on are connected to this number. I overpay about $2 per month on taxes and that is worth to me to keep it as it is.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ute1978 wrote:

Your phone number's area code will have effect on the taxes you are going to pay. So when choosing a phone number in the activation process I would advise to chose an area code which is the smallest in PST (in your case BC).

I know this because I live in Alberta and have a Saskatchewan phone number. I pay 11% in taxes on my bill instead of just 5% in Alberta.

You should change your phone number to an AB number and get a free Fongo SK number call forwarded to your AB number so that your SK friends and family can call you without long distance charge and you save 6% tax.

Degus222
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was thinking about that also. I have a BC number in Alberta it sucks 😞 

ute1978

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@WesternWalrus

Canada Wide minutes means you can call out and receive call from anywhere in Canada with PM signal independent of the area code of your phone number. 

You PM SIM card will not work if you are at your cottage remote area without a Telus cell tower/signal.  PM does not have Canadian roaming add-on.  Therefore, you cannot roam on Rogers signal even if you want to pay for it.

Degus222
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yup. pretty much. Changing phone numbers for where you are located is no longer needed. I work in Fort McMurry, live in Calgary, and visit family in BC every other month. Never had an issue with calls.

The only thing is if you get a BC number and move to TO any TO people will need to have long distance if they only have Local calls I believe they will have an issue because your number is a BC one.

Carld123

Yes youll be covered with a canada wide plan..

Need Help? Let's chat.