cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-wide Talk Minutes

FredericJLJ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dear Experienced Users,

I plan to switch to the $15 plan, which offers 100 Canada-wide talk minutes, after which the talk service would be automatically not provided. 

Here are my questions:

1) Does waiting online count? For instance, if I call the customer service of a company, and the company's phone system put me on waiting (listening to their music perhaps), would this count towards my 100 minutes?

2) Nowadays, company representatives transfer me from one to another, for example, TD does so. For instance, I started talking with one general customer service representative, who then transfers me to the credit card department, who then transfers me to another department. I would perhaps have to wait during the intervals. Would the waiting during the intervals between one department and another count towards the 100 minutes?

3) For instance, I start talking with one representative on the phone, and the representative put me on hold for 3 minutes. Would this count towards the 100 minutes?

4) For instance, I dial the number of an office, and the the office's phone system let me listen to its recording (providing general information, such as address, website, 'if you know the extension of the person you are calling, please dial it now', etc., and other options - please press 1, 2, 3, and so forth). Would this count towards the 100 minutes?

I thank all the experienced users for their answers. 

Sincerely. 

19 REPLIES 19

@FredericJLJ wrote:

Dear geopublic, 

Thank you for all the answers. 

I accepted them as the solution. However, I have not truly tried it myself; therefore, I am not sure whether what you said would be the truth. I will try it myself after I will have switched to the new plan. The poor I need to save even $10 per month nowadays. 

Sincerely. 

@FredericJLJ in your example of calling TD......if you call a Toll Free number like 800 xxx-xxx....those calls do NOT count against your allotted minutes.  

ETusesPublic

I found your explanation to be excellent. I am trying to help my senior parents find the easiest, most sensible plan. After much research I got them a senior-friendly, flip phone called Easyfone They don't use data at all, only minutes. They can't use smartphones so internet-based apps are not an option. This GOOD COMBINATION plan is a perfect solution. Cost-effective, meets their needs, and you laid it out very well. Kudos to you and thanks so much 😀 

@Nezgar wrote:

@FredericJLJ wrote:

The only defect is that most apps require the phone to be constantly connected to wi-fi

For hangouts dialler, you only need to be connected to WiFi to make an outgoing call. Same with textnow if you don't care about incoming calls to the TextNow number.

I know of almost no apps that requires a constant Wi-Fi connection. I'll grant that it's possible that an app can be programmed to not use mobile data, but for most apps that use the internet, they only require an internet connection (of any type) to work properly.  Whether that connection is through Wi-Fi or through mobile data doesn't usually make a difference.

@FredericJLJ wrote:

The only defect is that most apps require the phone to be constantly connected to wi-fi

For hangouts dialler, you only need to be connected to WiFi to make an outgoing call. Same with textnow if you don't care about incoming calls to the TextNow number.

which consumes the battery fast

I have found no difference in battery life with both hangouts dialer and textnow installed and logged in in the background. Both allow you to sign out if you wish.

causes greater radiation.

Believe what you will! 😀 But WiFi transmission power is orders of magnitude lower than cellular radio transmission power. So technically, WiFi would be less of a risk. Especially if you use 5Ghz WiFi, which is well away from the 2.4ghz frequency that can heat water at high amplitude...

@FredericJLJ  I speak from experience. 🙂

FredericJLJ

Dear geopublic, 

Thank you for all the answers. 

I accepted them as the solution. However, I have not truly tried it myself; therefore, I am not sure whether what you said would be the truth. I will try it myself after I will have switched to the new plan. The poor I need to save even $10 per month nowadays. 

Sincerely. 

FredericJLJ

Dear Nezgar, 

Thank you for suggesting the app. I will take a look and perhaps try it myself. 

The only defect is that most apps require the phone to be constantly connected to wi-fi, which consumes the battery fast and causes greater radiation. 

Sincerely. 

Google hangouts dialer also lets you make free outgoing calls over WiFi to US and Canada, but using your own public mobile caller ID so people recognize the call. The app is available for both iPhone and android.

Installation & Setup instructions (for Android) here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/15-unlimited-incoming-calls/m-p/555860/...

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@FredericJLJ wrote:

Dear Experienced Users,

I plan to switch to the $15 plan, which offers 100 Canada-wide talk minutes, after which the talk service would be automatically not provided. 

Here are my questions:

1) Does waiting online count? For instance, if I call the customer service of a company, and the company's phone system put me on waiting (listening to their music perhaps), would this count towards my 100 minutes?

@FredericJLJ  If you dial a 1-800 no it will not but if you call a regular number yes it will use up your minutes. If you call a non toll free number if they offer a callback number option take advantage of it as incoming calls on the $15 plan are free and will not use up your minutes.

2) Nowadays, company representatives transfer me from one to another, for example, TD does so. For instance, I started talking with one general customer service representative, who then transfers me to the credit card department, who then transfers me to another department. I would perhaps have to wait during the intervals. Would the waiting during the intervals between one department and another count towards the 100 minutes?

Again when calling a toll free number the answer is no it will not use up your minutes but if you call a non toll free number it will use up your minutes regardless on how many times they transfer your call..

3) For instance, I start talking with one representative on the phone, and the representative put me on hold for 3 minutes. Would this count towards the 100 minutes?

Again when calling a toll free number the answer is no it will not use up your minutes but if you call a non toll free number it will use up your minutes when they put you on hold.

4) For instance, I dial the number of an office, and the the office's phone system let me listen to its recording (providing general information, such as address, website, 'if you know the extension of the person you are calling, please dial it now', etc., and other options - please press 1, 2, 3, and so forth). Would this count towards the 100 minutes?

Again when calling a toll free number the answer is no it will not use up your minutes but if you call a non toll free number it will use up your minutes as soon as you make the call including navigating through their IVR menu system.

Sincerely. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@FredericJLJ wrote:

Dear Experienced Users,

Here are my questions:

Sincerely. 

My suggestion to using the $15 plan. 

Suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan. 

Suggested add-ons to bullet proof the $15 plan. Both my wife and I are low users of our $15 mobile plans but the one time cost of $25 makes our plans as good as any. And of course, once set up, one will have to manage these add-ons to keep the “GOOD COMBINATION” in place and maintenance cost should be minimal. 

The add-on combinations below do NOT expire until minutes are used up. 

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes**

1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.

=======

$33 Total                   **The lesser value of the group 

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on. 

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on. The $15 add-on has INTERNATIONAL, USA and Canada  so, in a way, the $8 add-on is pointless to buy for USA only calls. 

Note 1: The add ons above I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used. 

The unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted. 

In certain conditions DATA can be very helpful and now the 1GB Data that does not expire until used up, has been permanently reduced to $15 (originally $30) 

If you have the option to call 2 different numbers choose the 800 number, those 800 number calls do NOT deduct from your allotted outbound minutes. 

Note 2: 

Keep in mind the value of “Rewards that’ll lower your bill”. 

Freebies that may be offered as in pre Christmas 2019 for 1GB of Data and 400 International Long Distance minutes. 

They treat us very well. 

Note 3: 

Other ways to save money. 

Use Wi-Fi  Zoom, FaceTime Video or Audio only, iMessage or a phone APP. 

Use Wi-Fi based APP for outbound calls “if” it will allow you to use your PM number as the caller ID. 

Google Hangouts apparently does. Cost is free. 

Zoiper used with VoIP.ms does. Cost is your outbound VoIP.ms price per minute. 

Forward your home or business calls to you PM phone number. 

Copyright 2020

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@FredericJLJ 

Here is a trick that's simple enough my 74 year old mother uses to turn 15 plan into unlimited. 

I installed fongo app on her Android phone. It's free secondary number and free calls and transfers

She's on autopay so has data.

She calls her own cell which is incoming call and free.

Then she transfers that call to the one that she intends to call, which is dialed by fongo and is free and she talks for as long as she needs.

Off course I had to limit her background data disable updates on WiFi disable WiFi assist and go after everything that could drain her data, but I had to do that anyways as she really uses picture messaging a lot - data has to be on all the time. The call uses less than 0.1megs if data

500 minutes for $5 are really affordable, but when somebody is a talker it's just cheaper to go for 25. Now she is not that much of a talker but she has couple of relatives that are. So she really doesn't need 25 plan but for waiting on the call or keeping contact with such person this is a great option.

For now 800 numbers are still not counted towards the allowance, bit we don't know when will the glitch be fixed. For occasional call like that fongo is a great option

She also noticed that once in a while quality is not the best (echo/chopped sound), but it's clear at the beginning of the call so she just redials. She says it's rare

@FredericJLJ...sounds like in your case, might be a good investment if you got the $5 / 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on. If you have any unused add-on minutes at plan renewal, they will just roll over until you do use them up...even if it takes several months or longer.

Good to have 500 minutes "in the bank".

@FredericJLJ Here's how to use TextNow over WiFi to check your voicemail from your own cell phone without using minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter it followed by #  - and you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FredericJLJ wrote:

But does checking my own voicemail count towards the 100 minutes?

Not with TextNow (or any voip app) or a different phone. Using the phone with the SIM and calling your voicemail will use the minutes.

FredericJLJ

Dear Jb456, 

Yes, I had known that before I chose the Change at the next renewal date option. 

Sincerely. 

FredericJLJ

Dear Jb456, 

Thank you for mentioning the useful TextNow app, for which I gave you 1 Bravo.

But does checking my own voicemail count towards the 100 minutes?

Sincerely. 

@FredericJLJ 

Also take note. Two ways to switch your plan.

1-

Left side will say Change Now (or top up now if you don't have the funds to cover new plan in your account)

Selecting this option, you're charged right away, new plan starts and no refunds on unused days from old plan.

2- 

On right site. Change at next renewal. The option you likely want to pick.

This option means at next renewal date you will be charged for new plan and it will start then.

Screenshot_20200130_023658.jpg

Toll free numbers are free to call anything else in Canada your minutes are used.

Even calling voicemail charges your minutes. They don't bill by second it's by minute. So if for example you call someone and it goes to their voicemail and you hang up 2 seconds later. That's a minute.

You can download TEXTNOW app. You get a Canadian number in your area to make free Canada / USA calls, text even has voicemail for FREE over Wi-Fi or data.

Many use that app to check their voicemail to save minutes.

You can simply dial your cell number and hang up the call on your PM number. When voicemail starts to play you press star * and enter your voicemail password to listen to your messages.

Or you can simply call from any other phone to listen to your voicemail.

I'm on the 15 plan as well. I find the easiest thing to do when you want to talk to a friend or family. Is send a text and ask them to call you. Or call them and ask them to call you right back and that would only cost you a minute.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@FredericJLJ 

• if it's a toll free number, no it does not count against your min 
  • as for being transferred from one representative to another, it still does not count 
Need Help? Let's chat.