cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you port a landline if the new SIM is not in the phone?

bjay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Cell phone currently has an active Rogers cell number. I want to activate PM on this phone and port my Bell landline, also. Intending to cancel the Rogers cell number a week after everything is done.

I'm aware I need to keep the Bell line active & paid up until the port occurs (~1 week).

Question: once my PM SIM is active with a temporary number, can I remove the PM SIM card and continue using the Rogers SIM until I notice my landline phone is dead/ported? 

4 REPLIES 4

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bjay , you got all the steps right.  From my personal experience with porting a Bell landline number, the reason it takes so long is that Bell wants a chance to convince you not to leave.  Actually once they complete their groveling, the port is actually pretty quick.  I still remember vividly that once the Bell rep gave up trying to convince me not to port, the number port was completed within 5 minutes of our call terminating.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bjay wrote:

Cell phone currently has an active Rogers cell number. I want to activate PM on this phone and port my Bell landline, also. Intending to cancel the Rogers cell number a week after everything is done.

I'm aware I need to keep the Bell line active & paid up until the port occurs (~1 week).

Question: once my PM SIM is active with a temporary number, can I remove the PM SIM card and continue using the Rogers SIM until I notice my landline phone is dead/ported? 

@bjay  Best to setup the Bell port during activation no need for a temp number. Enter your Rogers number as the alternate number so that PM can contact you if there is a problem with the port.

Yes you can continue to use your Rogers sim without any issues.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @bjay ,

I purchased a PM SIM, then I ported a landline and did not get a temporary number.

My port was complete in about 2 days and it went quite well. You can still use your  Bell landline until the port is complete.

fyi - my landline was also a Bell number that i ported to Public Mobile. The Bell account will close automatically when the port is complete.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Yes @bjay the PM SIM doesn't have to be in the phone for the port to complete itself. Welcome to PM.  Stay safe. And don't forget to use a referral code for the $10 credit.

Need Help? Let's chat.