cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you add Data add-on on the basic $10 plan? and if "Yes" at what speed?

B_Muller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, We're thingking of switching two of our "Speakout" (by Rogers) pre-paid lines (only for emergencies) to Public Mobile's $10.00 basic plan and would like to be 100% sure that we can add 1GB data @ $30.00 to the basic $10.00 plan. We also like to know if the 1GB data add-on will be on 3G or 4G LTE?

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@pakmode wrote:

and the roaming rates can't be beat if you ever go to the States.

@pakmode I've debated this before.  They're only a great deal for 4-10 day trips, IMHO, or if you only want a single service while you're away.  For those of us that live near the border and make frequent day trips or 1-2 night weekends away, the $7/day of Easy Roam/Roam Like Home could still be a better value, especially if you need all 3 services (talk, text, and data), the cheapest option of which with PM is $20 for the bundle, only $1 cheaper than 3 days of Easy Roam but with (typically) much less data.  And for a 1 or 2 day trip, that cost with Easy Roam (etc) is only $7 or $14 instead of $20.  Assuming you want/need all 3 services.  My point is, the answer, as usual, is "it depends" on your needs.

Great points.

No argument here.

If PM ever did a 1-3 day pass that would be excellent. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pakmode wrote:

and the roaming rates can't be beat if you ever go to the States.

@pakmode I've debated this before.  They're only a great deal for 4-10 day trips, IMHO, or if you only want a single service while you're away.  For those of us that live near the border and make frequent day trips or 1-2 night weekends away, the $7/day of Easy Roam/Roam Like Home could still be a better value, especially if you need all 3 services (talk, text, and data), the cheapest option of which with PM is $20 for the bundle, only $1 cheaper than 3 days of Easy Roam but with (typically) much less data.  And for a 1 or 2 day trip, that cost with Easy Roam (etc) is only $7 or $14 instead of $20.  Assuming you want/need all 3 services.  My point is, the answer, as usual, is "it depends" on your needs.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pakmode

It's definitely a good deal for an emergency phone, and the roaming rates can't be beat if you ever go to the States.

I understand that however for clarity purposes, in case someone were to think that the add-on is always 4G LTE (unthrottled), it isn't.  The statement above mine doesn't clarify that.

@stonechucker wrote:

However, if you have a plan with the 3G throttled LTE data, buying the addon will also be 3G Throttled data.

This is a non problem as the question pertains to adding data to a plan that has no data.  Smiley Happy

However, if you have a plan with the 3G throttled LTE data, buying the addon will also be 3G Throttled data.

smp99

Just for clarification, PM does not sell a '3G' data add-on.

B_Muller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@smp99 wrote:

Hi @B_Muller

Yes you can add data to the $10 plan. And it is full LTE speed.

More discussion here  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Data-Add-on-for-the-10-Plan-3...

Thanks smp99, much appreciated.

smp99

Hi @B_Muller

Yes you can add data to the $10 plan. And it is full LTE speed.

More discussion here  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Data-Add-on-for-the-10-Plan-3...

Need Help? Let's chat.