cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you Use a Prepaid Visa to Open an Account with Public Mobile?

Corwin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi ther, my friend is going through an extremely difficult time at the moment and is almost homeless. His credit is bad and he has a maxed out credit card. Is he register a SIM card for his phone and add funds to the card monthly to keep it going?

thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

@Luddite wrote:

@RobertQc I know from personal experience that autopay is considerably more dependable than you imply. Nevertheless, your suggestion is the most failsafe.

@LudditeAgreed, out of the million? customers total monthly autopay failures vs subscribers probably round down to 0.0% My numbers are probably not accurate, but I would guess that somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1/10 times an existing customer wakes up to no service (not cunfused about how something works or a mistake they made, blacklist add, wrong add on purchase, mms not working, no text after roaming expire, confused about suspended message etc but an actual problem where service is not working), its very often a result of an autopay failure, and out of the various issues for completely losing your service / bugs / glitches the autopay failure is one of the only user-accessible prevention methods that can be 100% prevented by simply topping off.

Maybe my logic is flawed, but when I think of it like that, I think topping off in advance is one of the easiest, most overlooked and most important way to keep your service up and running at public mobile. I am also willing to bet that anyone who has had the auto-pay fail, and had suspended service will make sure to always top off in advance.

Edit- Which is why I feel that steering away from the 90 day plans is a poor choice by public mobile. When we are on a 90 day plan, there are 1/3 less renewals which mean 1/3 less top ups, 1/3rd less auto pays, which mean less renewal bugs, less suspended service and less angry customers.

@RobertQc I know from personal experience that autopay is considerably more dependable than you imply. Nevertheless, your suggestion is the most failsafe.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Corwin wrote:

Hi ther, my friend is going through an extremely difficult time at the moment and is almost homeless. His credit is bad and he has a maxed out credit card. Is he register a SIM card for his phone and add funds to the card monthly to keep it going?

thanks!

@CorwinYes you can. Apparently not all of them, but some of them do work and I can vouch for the pre-paid visa at Canada Post.

Anyone can even set up auto-pay for $2 reward without needing a real credit card. Go to the canada post, Buy a pre-paid $10 visa card (or lowest denominations). Set up auto-pay on the gift card then do a one time payment of $10 (or whatever size you got ) to use up the funds on the card. Put the visa card in the trash but leave the visa card associated with the account and auto-pay enabled. You now will get the auto-pay bonus, there will only be a failure if your public mobile account funds run dry and it attempts to use that gift card that no longer has funds available.

Think of auto pay as a method for public mobile to charge you IF your account does not have sufficient balance. If you have sufficient balance it does not need to autopay, but auto pay is still configured so you get the reward. I highly recommend everyone to top off in advance as this process can prevent the somewhat common occurrence of autopay failure which causes a HUGE pain in the butt account suspension and loss of service.

Or as @Murco suggested, buy the vouchers, but remember to use the vouchers after already registering the visa-debit on the account to get the $2 or 500mb bonus (if the 500mb bonus is still available when your friend signs uo)

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Corwin

You can buy prepaid vouchers. You might be able to find PM vouchers at Shoppers Drug mart, Walmart, London Drugs, Canadian tire ect.

Need Help? Let's chat.