cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use my old number

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I never seen a place to test my current number before ordering the sim card and paying my $10 now it tells me "We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered" I cannot change my number so does this mean Public mobile is not for me?

21 REPLIES 21

Joshee22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

not Sure if it was like this for everyone having issues but I switched from Telus and because I had a balance owing I couldn’t port my number so I just made a new one and have been a happy customer for the last year and a bit 😄

Also for mountainmaxman I'd go to Walmart and ask them to start the process to see if it will take your number, if it does keep activating and if it can't just cancel!  I'm sure it can port the number!! 

GR
Mayor / Maire

If anyone needs a referral number to get 10$ off they're bill let me know ! 

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

I tested my girlfriends bell number 709-897 and that showed fine, just not mine. May give up on this public mobile, not user friendly when you can't call a person to fix an issue like this

I agree its not for everyone. I HATE calling places for support (did support for 10+ years) and opt for email or chat support whenever possible so Public Mobile is a great choice for me. 

Mountainmaxman

I tested my girlfriends bell number 709-897 and that showed fine, just not mine. May give up on this public mobile, not user friendly when you can't call a person to fix an issue like this

Tav

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

I have never heard of a locked phone number, the phone is unlocked from the providors. Im in Newfoundland and Labrador area code 709-735 and i need to keep this number.

I can't speak for 709-735/Bell but it worked for my 709-693/Virgin (which is owned by Bell). I didn't get any message like yours but after waiting the 2-4 hours I suspected an issue and had to get the mods to fix it which did have some downtime of about 16 hours. Glad to see more people from Newfoundland showing up around here. Most people in NL that I talk to have never heard of Public Mobile. 

Mountainmaxman

I have never heard of a locked phone number, the phone is unlocked from the providors. Im in Newfoundland and Labrador area code 709-735 and i need to keep this number.

Tav

@Padre wrote:

Most likely the incompatibility of your old number just means that you have a locked number. Do you know if you do? If so, just unlock it with the many on-line options available or ask your old provider to do it. That will probably cost more. I found unlcoking phones normally costs about $25.

Providors HAVE to unlock your phone for free. That shouldn't have anything to do with the number though, just the phone itself. 

Padre
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Most likely the incompatibility of your old number just means that you have a locked number. Do you know if you do? If so, just unlock it with the many on-line options available or ask your old provider to do it. That will probably cost more. I found unlcoking phones normally costs about $25.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

There is no balance due, set up for automatic payments monthly, on contract. If I try to choose pick a new number it does not list any numbers in my area/city seems like it's only listing koodoo numbers in the next city over from me

Telus owns Koodo and PM.  Number for PM will come from the same pool of numbers. 

Nowadays, the new area code will cover the whole province. For an example, the new Alberta area code 825 will cover any city in Alberta.

Which province are you located?  What area code your are getting from PM?

Tav

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

There is no balance due, set up for automatic payments monthly, on contract. If I try to choose pick a new number it does not list any numbers in my area/city seems like it's only listing koodoo numbers in the next city over from me

Best thing to do would be to message the mods for further assistance.

It can take up to 72 hours to receive a response but I think they have been responding fairly quickly lately.

You can do so by clicking here.

Mountainmaxman

I don't have an account set up yet because I never activated the sim card, it won't let me create and acount without setting up a phone first. im on the screen toCheck if your phone number is eligible: and it says mine is NOT, 

Mountainmaxman

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

I did not cancel it, im still using it. just trying to port it over.

Login to your PM self-serve account.  Select the following screen to port your number to PM.

[Plan and Add-Ons]--> [Change Phone Number] --> [Transfer a wireless or wireline number ]

If you have a Koodo prepaid, you cannot use the above automated number porting method.  You need to send a private message to moderator to port your Koodo prepaid number to PM.  Moderator wait time is about 3 days.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Port a number from another mobile provider will take up to 2 -3 hours.

Port a number from a landline or VoIP number will take up to a week.

Tav

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

Is there a balance on the Bell account? I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be able to port in a Bell number. 

Mountainmaxman

What I meant by testing was to punch in my current number to see if it can be ported over. It says it's unable to port my number so I didn't want to hook it up if I can't use my current number

Mountainmaxman

Mountainmaxman

Bell Mobility

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mountainmaxman, what do you mean by test your number?  If you wish to try the service, you could sign up for a minimalist plan with a temporary number.  If you are happy, then port your number in.  There is no carrier brand that offers testing without actually purchasing a service.  

drmartin

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

I never seen a place to test my current number before ordering the sim card and paying my $10 now it tells me "We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered" I cannot change my number so does this mean Public mobile is not for me?

If you cancelled your previous service you won't be able to port the number out.  You have to keep the service active to be able to move it.  Annoying but that's the way it is.

Otherwise there may be some providers which don't allow porting, I've heard of that with VoIP for example.

Tav

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

Who is your current providor? Some ports require a message to the mods to port. 

Need Help? Let's chat.