cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't text

Chichenim
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got a free public mobile SIM from the airport, with a plan that gives me 200mb and allows for free local calls, receive international calls for free and also free texting (international and local) for the first month. I've tried to send a message but it's not going through. Please help.

Using Nokia 6.1 plus

10 REPLIES 10

Chichenim

I can make local calls and send texts to local numbers ONLY.

Thanks for your contributions though.

I would be exploring other sim options now.

Thank you

@Anonymous yes, any single band (except LTE B29) is fine.

On 3G band 5 (850 MHz) for example, you can make voice calls, send/receive texts, and use data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon wrote:

@Anonymous if data (not WiFi) is working, then text should work too. Text and data can be used on any frequency band.

Thanks @sheytoon 

Any *single* band? Or does one need at least 2?

Say the phone only has 3G 850. Not 1900. No 4G LTE related bands. If you can connect to a tower transmitting 850, can you at least talk?

@Anonymous if data (not WiFi) is working, then text should work too. Text and data can be used on any frequency band.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi can you borrow somebody's phone they works with Telus Koodo or public mobile just to test your sim and account?

You may even be able to do that on a Telus or Koodo store if they are close, they have testers and loaners there

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chichenim wrote:

I haven't made or received any calls or text yet.

I'm new to Canada

Nice free offering at the airport though. Just might not be much use for you.

The phone won't work here as it doesn't cover the minimum required frequencies.

Edit: @sheytoon: if a phone only shows one of the frequencies then will it work? It seems it will for data. But this customer can't text. gsmarena

Edit again: although another reference suggests it might have both 3G and no 4G. Ah conflicting corroboration

@Chichenim: can you manually type in a number to text? For Canada it's a 1 then area code and number. For international it's 011 (or +) then country code then the rest of the number.

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I signed up recently and studied the available plans.  I don't recall seeing a plan that has 200 Mb data.  Calling is pretty much Canada wide.  Are you sure about the plan?  The description seems suspicious.

Chichenim

But the internet browsing works fine

Chichenim

I haven't made or received any calls or text yet.

I'm new to Canada

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chichenim wrote:

I got a free public mobile SIM from the airport, with a plan that gives me 200mb and allows for free local calls, receive international calls for free and also free texting (international and local) for the first month. I've tried to send a message but it's not going through. Please help.

Using Nokia 6.1 plus

Does everything else work? Calls in/out? Texts in? Internet browsing? MMS?

Edit: because the phone looks a little light on compatibility.

Need Help? Let's chat.