cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't setup sms, data, or calling on Moto G5

jackv9425
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just joined the network but my phone is not recognizing the Public Mobile network. I set all of the APN settings according to what the link said, but it's not connecting to Public Mobile's network. I understand that this is a bit vague, so please let me know any questions as I'd like to get this solved.

10 REPLIES 10

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@jackv9425, Here is a great site that has the APN settings.  You will just put in your Make of phone, Model and then the network you are on and it will come up with the settings you need.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/

Be sure you have cellular data turned on.

Here are MMS settings from @s2scotty@Luddite

If you have multiple APNs listed, ONLY one, the PM one, should have the APN type "default".

Including "mms", as in, "default,mms" makes it clear TO THE PHONE to route MMS via this APN/carrier.  IT APPEARS CRITICAL THAT there are NO SPACES between the words and the commas (e.g. "default,<space>mms" = wrong and "default,mms" = correct). A trailing space proved an issue on a phone (e.g. "default, mms<space>" = wrong and "default,mms" = correct). Like "default", only the correct and active APN should include the "mms" tag.

* Name: Mobile Internet

APN: sp.mb.com

Proxy: Unspecified

Port: Unspecified

Username: Unspecified

Password: Unspecified

Server: Unspecified

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

Authentication type: Unspecified

* APN type: default,mms

* APN roaming Protocol: IPv4

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

and don't forget to reboot the phone after!

**By the way, am not a moderator, am just a guy who is just trying to help out when I can! If this works for you click on 'Accept as Resolution' to close this post!

@Stormy wrote:

Motorola phones have always come unlocked.

This part isn't true.  Motorola has sold many phones that have been locked to carriers, even within the last few years. This includes models sold by Telus and Koodo.  The most recent ones will be unlocked (or will include an unlock code), but that has not always been the case.

As for the possibility of APN issues, having a variant sold by one carrier does not guarantee that manual adjustments to access point names won't be required.  Phones of the same model but sold by different carriers can have vastly different software installed, and the differences sometimes do include different APN settings saved on the phone (or even APN information for other carriers removed).

But, we already know this can't possibily be an APN issue because those settings don't have anything do with the ability, or lack thereof, to make phone calls.

Stormy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Motorola phones have always come unlocked. As for supported bands,

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-Moto-G5_id10421

Cellular

• CDMA:
    • 800, 1900 MHz
  • GSM:
    • 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
  • UMTS:
    • 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz
  • LTE (FDD):
    • Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 19, 20, 28
  • LTE (TDD):
    • Bands 38, 41
  • Data:
    • LTE Cat 4 (150/50 Mbit/s), HSPA

The Moto G5 should work right out of the box with no need for inputting APN settings or anything else. Both my wife and I have this phone (PC Mobile prepaid, during the sale they had last month), and all I had to do with both was put the SIM card in, and they just worked.

Personally if the phone isn't working properly with PM, then it is either a defective phone or defective SIM card.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BOBO2018 wrote:

Moto G5 may not support the Telus network. You can check the supporting frequency band of your phone to see whether your phone can use the network.

All variants of G5, G5 Plus, G5S, and G5S Plus all appear to contain support for at least the required 3G UMTS frequencies of 850MHz and 1900MHz.  So, the phone should be compatible.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

BOBO2018
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Moto G5 may not support the Telus network. You can check the supporting frequency band of your phone to see whether your phone can use the network.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Some of these phones required factory reset to work

sdt1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@jackv9425 wrote:

I just joined the network but my phone is not recognizing the Public Mobile network. I set all of the APN settings according to what the link said, but it's not connecting to Public Mobile's network. I understand that this is a bit vague, so please let me know any questions as I'd like to get this solved.

Hey there @jackv9425! Welcome to Public Mobile! After logging into your PM account and verifying that your service is active...If you did not receive a network lock code prompt after powering up your phone with a new PM SIM card inserted, then you are most likely unlocked and good to go.

You say you have already set up the APN, so that will get your mobile data working if you have data included in the PM plan you selected. For voice and text, however, you will need to go to Settings > More > Mobile Networks (varies slightly from one Android phone to another). Check to be sure that "Preferred Network Type" is set to "LTE" (which will be backwards compatible if you are on a 3G plan), and that "Network Operators" is set to "Choose Automatically" (reselect "Choose Automatically", which will force registration on the network). Hope this helps! Cheers.

I am not a Moderator. Please do not send me private messages with your personal information.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If calling doesn't work that suggest account set up.  APN is needed only for data and MMS.  As already suggested, check the account for anomalies.  If there was a problem with activation, then please contact the moderator team for intervention.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following knowledge base link for information on contacting the moderator team.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jackv9425 wrote:

When you go into Self-Serve does everything look correct to you? You can see the plan you signed up with and its details?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@jackv9425 Is your Moto G5 unlocked or locked to Telus/Koodo? Try the sim in any other compatible phone and see if it works. 

Need Help? Let's chat.