cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't set up voicemail

kkip
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just activated and switched to public mobile. Calls and text are working, but I cannot set up my voicemail.  When I dial it asks me to chose a language, and then to give a mailbox number to retrieve messages or a number to leave a message with.

Also get the same message when I call my cell from my landline, which happens to be the alternate number that i gave during activation.

20 REPLIES 20

@edreifel wrote:

Can't call into voicemail 

Here is a list of all of the currently known local voicemail number across Canada. Pick any one of them and try dialing that:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

You should be able to find out which one Public Mobile has decided is your "preferred" one by dialing one of *#61#, *#62#, or *#67#. Then you can set the number your phone dials by holding 1 in your phone. For Android you may be able to do it this way (but it's greyed out on my phone), choose Settings>Voicemail>Advanced Settings>Setup>Voicemail number. For iPhone, dial *5005*86*3065804001#. Replace the 10 digit number with a number determined above, or geographically close to you.

kkip

@edreifel 

Try resetting your password under your account. 

That's what I had to do to get it working.

kkip
Spoiler
Hi, 
I just had to reset my voicemail password first, and then I could access it!

edreifel
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can't call into voicemail 

kkip

I reset my password on the public mobile self serve, then when I called my voicemail, it prompted me to set it up.  Thanks everyone!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is hard work locating the knowledge base articles with the category hidden.  This is the article that covers voicemail set up.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Your-Phone-and-Plan-Feature...

@kkip fmi, could you please post here how you got it resolved? Thanks .

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kkip wrote:

I just activated and switched to public mobile. Calls and text are working, but I cannot set up my voicemail.  When I dial it asks me to chose a language, and then to give a mailbox number to retrieve messages or a number to leave a message with.

Also get the same message when I call my cell from my landline, which happens to be the alternate number that i gave during activation.

@kkip Did you port in your number from your previous provider? if yes, if you use your previous provider's sim does it still work? If yes, your port hasn't completed or is stuck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But not all area codes have a matching voicemail access number. You can call any of the nationwide voicemail access numbers to access your mailbox. With Canada-wide calling these days, it doesn't matter.

not just not all area codes

What if I told you that if you have an Edmonton phone number, your assigned voicemail retrieval number is a number in a different province (Regina, Saskatchewan)?

It's a funny system innit. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

But not all area codes have a matching voicemail access number. You can call any of the nationwide voicemail access numbers to access your mailbox. With Canada-wide calling these days, it doesn't matter.

not just not all area codes

What if I told you that if you have an Edmonton phone number, your assigned voicemail retrieval number is a number in a different province (Regina, Saskatchewan)?

@CannonFodder wrote:

Uhm, I'm not well versed on this, but isn't that "778" only applicable if the OP is using a 778 number, i.e. I was under the impression that we all generally use xxx5814001, where "xxx" is our own area code.... did I get the wrong impression? 🤔 

Public Mobile does not have a voicemail number for every area code. If we use the example of Toronto, the voicemail number is a 647 area code number if if your phone number is 416.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

Any one of these end up at the same voicemail system, and will work just fine. You have to dial from your mobile to set it up the first time though.

Actually if you reset the voicemail password in the self-serve then you can do initial set up from another phone.Smiley Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CannonFodder wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kkip wrote:

I'm on the $25 plan, when I go to my voicemail,  it only gives the options that I've written above, but nothing about setting it up.

How about dialing 17785814001 on your phone and see what happens.

Uhm, I'm not well versed on this, but isn't that "778" only applicable if the OP is using a 778 number, i.e. I was under the impression that we all generally use xxx5814001, where "xxx" is our own area code.... did I get the wrong impression? 🤔 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Yeah, it sounds like your phone may still be trying to dial your previous provider's voicemail service. You might need to manually update the voicemail access number if rebooting your phone after didn't.

Here is a list of Public Mobile's local voicemail depostit/access numbers across Canada: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/access-voice-mail-out-of-home...

Edit: Hmm, the 306 one seems out of date - it is 306-580-4001.

Any one of these end up at the same voicemail system, and will work just fine. You have to dial from your mobile to set it up the first time though.

@Anonymous wrote:

@kkip wrote:

I'm on the $25 plan, when I go to my voicemail,  it only gives the options that I've written above, but nothing about setting it up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kkip wrote:

kkip

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@kkip maybe you can try this answer to a similar problem https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Voicemail-Setup/m-p/428161/highlight/true...

Maybe the voicemail isn't set up  yet. Try again tomorrow ?

@kkip wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kkip wrote:

If you're not on the $15 (or old $10) plan then what happens when you press and hold the 1 number on the dialer? It should go to the voicemail system.

Does your phone ring when you call it?

If you're on the $15 plan then use the reset voicemail password in the self-serve which sets your voicemail password to your 10 digit number. Then call your number from whatever other phone and you can set it up.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kkip wrote:

When you call from your phone the first time, it ask you to create a passcode.

As fas as I know, PM uses my alternate number to verify my identity after I provided a wrong PIN when I contact moderator for help.

Need Help? Let's chat.