cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't set up self-serve account - "phone number entered is invalid"

Robar46
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm visiting from the States, and purchased my SIM card at a Mobile Shop location. I used a $30 voucher to sign up for the 1G data-only plan and the guy had me enter my email address and set up a password and PIN, so I thought I was all set. My unlocked phone does seem to accept the SIM card and I have access to the internet, but when I try to set up my self-serve account and enter my phone number so it can text me a 6-digit verification code, it just says: "The phone number entered is invalid or you may have created your profile already. If you've forgotten your password, please click here." I've already tried to log in and reset my password in case my account is already set up, but it doesn't recognize my email address, so I think the problem may be that I didn't sign up for a talk/text plan so it can't text me the code.

Am I on the right track, and how would I resolve this? Now that I see that the SIM card is working and that the plan is active, this is less of a pressing issue, but I would like to be able to manage my account and refill it for the next time we visit.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Robar46 Click here to register your selfserve account.

Edit: Check you phone settings for the phone number that is associated with the PM sim card. If you have an Android phone and can't find the number via settings or try dialing *#*#4636#*#* and select Phone Information it should be listed there.

@Robar46If you like PM this time.. and don't want to worry about the time between your visit.. Just get a $10 SIM card and activate that next time you come up north. Keep your referral code or ask for a new one from Public Mobile subreddit bot, then you get $10 off for the plan next time you come.

Robar46
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the quick reply. I will reach out to the moderators.

Also, thanks for the tip on the 90-day expiration - I will keep that in mind. We visit fairly often, but I was difinitely hoping to just be able top off when I needed it again and hadn't thought about that factor. This is mostly just an experiment at this point to see if this is a viable option, so I will keep looking into alternatives for the future.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Robar46 , when you sign up at a retail partner the self serve account is generally something the customer needs to do separately.  The portal they use is different than the customer portal.  So it looks like you do need to seek moderator team assistance to sort things out.  In the mean time, you can access the account using 611.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Robar46

It sounds like you need moderator's intervention.. you can contact them here via this link. Explain your situation cogently and hopefully they can set you up on the right track. Importantly tell them you can't receive text and your email / password combo is not setup properly as they often will send you a link to ask for verification.. do expect to hear back from them up to 48 hours though.

Problem with in store signup is it is pretty easy to have a typo.. so perhaps you need to double check it.

Just in case you don't know if the account becomes inactive for 90 days or more.. the account and the SIM card become useless. So whether it is worth keeping a Public Mobile accountv active depends on when will be your next visit to Canada will be. AFAIK only Speakout (from 7-11) keeps account for 365 days of inactivity.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.