cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send texts.

WinMan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For some reason, I've suddenly lost the ability to send texts.  I can still receive them, but none of my responses go out.  I get an error message saying problem with SIM 1 error 38.  What's the problem here?

24 REPLIES 24

@WinMan wrote:

To all of you who attempted to solve my texting problem, I give a heartfelt "Thank You".  And I must apologize.  It turns out that the problem all began when I was in Mexico.  While there, I changed all my Canadian contact numbers to the international long distance designation of 001 + (area code +phone number).  I failed to return them to the national long distance  designation of 1 + (area code + phone number) when I came back to Canada.  A simple mistake but frustrating as heck.

Thanks for the update. I thought I did ask you though if the number was valid but you never replied.Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WinMan wrote:

To all of you who attempted to solve my texting problem, I give a heartfelt "Thank You".  And I must apologize.  It turns out that the problem all began when I was in Mexico.  While there, I changed all my Canadian contact numbers to the international long distance designation of 001 + (area code +phone number).  I failed to return them to the national long distance  designation of 1 + (area code + phone number) when I came back to Canada.  A simple mistake but frustrating as heck.

Thanks for the update and reporting what you discovered. That will be helpful for future readers.

WinMan

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Looking at the original post, the error deals with SIM 1.  Sounds like a problem in the phone, whether SiM slot, or SIM card.

@WinMan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WinMan wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

@WinMan wrote:

Unlimited talk and text.

@WinMan It could be the problem of the SIM card's memory is full. You need to delete some content before you can send your text messages. 

I'm showing only 9 of 16 gigs being used.  I've also got an SD card with nothing on it.

But that's a great suggestion.  Thanks.

Do you store your contacts on the SIM card? The other memory you mention is not on the SIM. I don't imagine that would suddenly stop you from sending texts though.

Edit: @WinMan: actually...a quick search and incoming texts are stored there. If you have not deleted text conversations then maybe do and it might start working.

I've just deleted almost all my save texts (surprising how much useless stuff a person saves), but it didn't make a difference.  Maybe it IS a system  failure.

Have you tried a different texting app? It's been a while, but I had problems texting after a update on the stock app, switching to Google's Messages did the trick.

WinMan

@Anonymous wrote:

@WinMan wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

@WinMan wrote:

Unlimited talk and text.

@WinMan It could be the problem of the SIM card's memory is full. You need to delete some content before you can send your text messages. 

I'm showing only 9 of 16 gigs being used.  I've also got an SD card with nothing on it.

Do you store your contacts on the SIM card? The other memory you mention is not on the SIM. I don't imagine that would suddenly stop you from sending texts though.

Edit: @WinMan: actually...a quick search and incoming texts are stored there. If you have not deleted text conversations then maybe do and it might start working.

I've just deleted almost all my save texts (surprising how much useless stuff a person saves), but it didn't make a difference.  Maybe it IS a system  failure.

WinMan

@Anonymous wrote:

@WinMan wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

@WinMan wrote:

Unlimited talk and text.

I believe the contacts are stored on the SIM.  As far as I know, I don't have anything on the SD card and, frankly, I don't know how to direct things to it.  I've installed the card to take some of the weight off the internal memory and assumed the phone would redirect stuff to the most open memory space.  Not so, it seems.

WinMan

@geopublic wrote:

When researching this error code many suggest the remedy is to turn your phone off for at least  minute and then turn it back on.

Also it's possible there is a network issue with the provider in your area.

I'll try leaving the phone off for a while and see what happens.  Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WinMan wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

@WinMan wrote:

Unlimited talk and text.

WinMan

@sunflowershine wrote:

@WinMan wrote:

Unlimited talk and text.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WinMan wrote:

Unlimited talk and text.

When researching this error code many suggest the remedy is to turn your phone off for at least  minute and then turn it back on.

Also it's possible there is a network issue with the provider in your area.

WinMan

@steff12321 wrote:

You can try enabling and then disabling lost/stolen mode in your self serve account, with a phone restart in between to see if that helps. 

K.  Tried this...didn't help either.  Thanks for the suggestion.

@WinMan wrote:

@Alex888 wrote:
@WinManTry restarting your phone, if it still doesn't work try the SIM in a different phone.

I just tried this.  Didn't work.

If your phone has two SIM slots try the other one to see if it works. If not, could be a defective SIM.

steff12321
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@WinMan wrote:

@Alex888 wrote:
@WinManTry restarting your phone, if it still doesn't work try the SIM in a different phone.

Try the lost/stolen mode, first enable it through your selfserve -> Plan and Add-Ons -> Lost/Stolen Phone. Enable, restart phone, disable, restart phone, try texting again. 

WinMan

@Alex888 wrote:

@WinMan wrote:

Unlimited talk and text.

Is the number your texting to valid? Can you try sending a text to a different number?

@WinMan wrote:

Unlimited talk and text.

Ok...did you try the lost/stolen trick? If yes and nothing help write a message to the moderator here..https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 and explain what happened they will help you. Waiting time is few hours to 2 days.

steff12321

@WinMan wrote:

Unlimited talk and text.

Give the above suggestions a try, if they don't work you will need to contact the @CS_Agent for assistance with this. 

WinMan

Unlimited talk and text.

steff12321

You can try enabling and then disabling lost/stolen mode in your self serve account, with a phone restart in between to see if that helps. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@WinMan wrote:

For some reason, I've suddenly lost the ability to send texts.  I can still receive them, but none of my responses go out.  I get an error message saying problem with SIM 1 error 38.  What's the problem here?

You must have used up all your text allowance.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@WinMan Try restarting your phone, if it still doesn't work try the SIM in a different phone.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@WinMan wrote:

Which plan do you have?

Need Help? Let's chat.