cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send text messages

hlkidd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I joined PM about a month ago.  It was a bit of a rocky start but for the past few weeks I have been able to use all the features I paid for (send/receive calls, send/receive texts, use data to navigate the web, etc).

Today after my Samsung S6 did a software update I could no longer send text messages.  I can still receive them.  I checked the APN settings and everything looks fine.

Has anyone else run into this issue?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mh1983 glad it's sorted out!  @Anonymous thanks for pointing mh in the right direction!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Z30 is nice! We use one for streaming still and it's a great little device. Love the speakers and rich AMOLED screen. 

Re: why MMS, I got annoyed with those popups when switching from SMS to MMS mode. But I see now that there's a way to suppress that notice.  I hadn't visited those settings in ages. That, combined with the auto mode to ensure SMS goes through correctly, seems to way to go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mh1983 wrote:

@Anonymous Bingo! My wife's data was off. Thanks for the hint! And thanks @srlawren too! Appreciate it.

Good to hear. I'm still enjoying the Z30.

Any particular reason you'd be willing to share as to why you do MMS rather than plain old SMS?

mh1983

@Anonymous Bingo! My wife's data was off. Thanks for the hint! And thanks @srlawren too! Appreciate it.

srlawren

@mh1983 interesting.  That's a new one.  I'm not sure what to suggest here.  You could definitely reach out to the moderator team via private message (details in this article: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Get-Help/ta-p/251745) to ask them to verify everything on your account configuration but it's odd that it's one contact.  It woudln't hurt to rule that side out.

However, I think the more likely issue is one of your phones, something odd with it.  I'm a bit rusty on BB10-- @Anonymous have you ever run into an issue like this?  Anything you can think of to try?  [EDIT: I see you replied while I was tying this--thanks!]

You could try factory resetting your device @mh1983 but that's pretty intrusive and annoying/time consuming process as you have to restore all your apps after and your data from backups (or cloud).  Have you tried googling to see if this is a known BB10 issue with workarounds?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mh1983 wrote:

@srlawren thanks for the reply!

No platform changes lately. We both use BlackBerry 10 devices (I use a Classic and my wife a Q10). First time we've had any issues with texting between each other.

Maybe it's an MMS thing. Sending MMS needs data to be on. Recieving that MMS needs data to be on. Your BB has a setting to always do MMS. It only gives a check mark as an indication. SMS will give a blue D.

mh1983

@srlawren thanks for the reply!

No platform changes lately. We both use BlackBerry 10 devices (I use a Classic and my wife a Q10). First time we've had any issues with texting between each other.

srlawren

@mh1983 strange that it's specific to one contact.  Did one of you recently switch from an iPhone to an Android device without unregistered from iMessage, maybe?  Failing that, what kind of phone are you both using?

mh1983

Specifically, it's one contact that my texts sporadically seem to send or fail to send. Each text has a check mark indicator on the phone so they're going through somewhere. I receive her incoming texts no problem but outgoing is problematic. She's on Koodo.

For other contacts, send/receive works fine.

mh1983

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm seeing this issue on my phone now: I can receive but I can't send. Is the SMS reset procedure still a valid fix?

jertie

how do i text southkorea? i tried +82 10 *&*&*&*^%%

gulafshan

You might have to send a message to one of the moderators and ask them to reset your SMS from your sim, that helped me when I switched my phones from and android to an apple device.

Acekiller

@hlkidd wrote:

Mary the moderator was able to sort this issue out. She needed to reset the SMS number on her end which fixed the issue.  Yay!

hmm, never heard of this before.  interesting.

srlawren

@hlkidd click the link @Mary_M provided above, provide them your phone number, and ask them to push your SMSC to your phone over the air.

hlkidd

Mary the moderator was able to sort this issue out. She needed to reset the SMS number on her end which fixed the issue.  Yay!

hlkidd

I unfortunately can't get to the SMSC setting - it is greyed out so I can't check to see if it is correct.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @hlkidd,

Let us know if you need any help - simply send us a private message! 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

hlkidd wrote:

Today after my Samsung S6 did a software update I could no longer send text messages.  I can still receive them.  I checked the APN settings and everything looks fine.

There's no need to try to make any changes or otherwise double-check your APN settings.  APN settings are unrelated to text messaging.  Check to see if your SMSC setting has been mistakenly changed as a result of the software update.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@hlkidd, these carrier phones are not the most friendly when used outside of the supplying carriers network.  There are so many ways your user experience can be sullied.  I digress.  Is there some sort of network reset feature on this phone.  If there is, you can give that a try.  Sending sms only requires the SIM to register on the network which I assume is successful given that calling works.  Although it is extremely doubtful that the problem is account related, but you could give the moderator team a shout and have them look for any abnormalities with the account.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link. Refer to the following link for information on contacting the moderator team.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

hlkidd

Thanks wetcoaster, wet I have rebooted a number of times and I have tried third party messaging apps with no success 😞

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Are you using the stock messaging app? I assume you did a reboot after noticing the problem?

Some people have had success when switching to a third party app like Android Messages, Textra etc.

Good luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.