cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send SMS texts but can receive SMS, Calling and Data is working fine

vernonli
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Im unable to send texts out. I've restarted my phone multiple times. My samsung galaxy s7 Messaging centre is greyed out and it's not filled in. What do I do?

47 REPLIES 47

Stroz

Hello,

It sounds like my problem. 

I tried everything and there was nothing I could do on my end. 

I decided that the only thing that could be wrong, after I checked and re-checked, my SMS, SMCS and other settings. For example, is the APN set correctly, is the number for SMS on the SIM set correctly?

Both of those settings can be found on this forum. 

Afterwards I sent a provste message to the Mods. They quickly responded with a request for my Chatr account number. When I ported I inputted the number, my user name and my PIN from Chatr, but without my account number the port didn't go all the way through. 

I would suggest you get your account number from Wind, and send a privste mesage to a Mod and ask them to look into it.

Once I gave them my account number the port went through in about 45 minutes and I have been a happy comper since.

Good luck and take care and rest assured it is likely not your fault and you need some help from a PM mod.

@alexir wrote:

I have public mobile since yesterday, I ported my number from wind and everything was working fine. Or that was what I thought, because today I realized that I am not receiving any SMS. I can send them, make calls and data works fine. I have a Nokia 650 Windows phone and the message center number is +16475800172

The SMSC setting has no affect on incoming text messages. It could be set incorrectly and you'd still receive your text messages.  The SMSC only needs to be set properly for outgoing text messages.

Make sure you notifications for incoming text messages isn't someone disabled.  Other than that, you're probably looking at a network issue/something on the Public Mobile end as being the issue. It could also be a number porting issue.

alexir

Hi there,

I have public mobile since yesterday, I ported my number from wind and everything was working fine. Or that was what I thought, because today I realized that I am not receiving any SMS. I can send them, make calls and data works fine. I have a Nokia 650 Windows phone and the message center number is +16475800172

Any idea?

Thanks

Stroz
Hello and thank you again. I now have sms messaging.
I went there and that helped. But what really helped I think was to delete the Google messenger app. I went back to the original Asus messaging app and was able to get into the SMS setting where the PM number was already entered.
Deleting the Google messenger and using the original sms app is allowing me to send texts.
I prefer the Google messenger but I more orefer to be able to text people.
Thank you again Vernonli! I do appreciate the help.

Stroz
Thank you for the reply.
I tried using the settings, default messaging app and the Google messenger app and no where in any if them can I see or get to an SMSC settings or even an SMS setting.
I even went to the Asus site and got the manual to try and figure out how to get to the SMSC settings area but couldn't find it there.
I also tried to figure out how to get to the "secret Android number posted earlier in this thread and couldn't figure out how to do that to see if that worked.
Maybe it is the phone jtself. Although sms/texting worked perfectly on my old carrier yesterday.
Thanks k you again for your suggestion!
😁
I will keep looking to see if j can find it.

vernonli
Try this Messaging=>Settings=>Text(SMS) Messages=> SMSC Setting. Then input 16475800172

Stroz

Hello again,

I tried to put the number above into the Messaging Ap phone number but that didn't work.

I disabled and then enabled the app and tat didn't work either.

I looked onlne for te place to change the SMC setting for the zenfone but that just said change it in te messaging app and there is no "messaging center" in the app.

hmm,

Stroz

Hello, new to PM.

I have this problem too. I cannot sent sms/text messages.

I can recieve SMS and can send and receive MMS. Calling and data seem to be working fine.

Using ASUS Zenfone Android 6.01

I tried to find how to input the magic number in the message center but I couldn't find anywhere to input it.

Would love to be able to send text messages. Thanks for your elp in advance.

vernonli

Hey Zoom, the SMSC number for Public Mobile is 16475800172. Make sure you input that number into your message center option on your phone. Which phone do you have?

@zoomzoom87 wrote:

what is the SMSC number? How do I find that? I am also having the same issue. Can send MMS, receive sms but cannot send sms. No idea what is going on. 

short message service center

It's a setting (a pre-specified phone number) that allows text messages to be routed properly by the cell carrier.  Each cell phone company has its own.

zoomzoom87
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

what is the SMSC number? How do I find that? I am also having the same issue. Can send MMS, receive sms but cannot send sms. No idea what is going on. 

vernonli

Hey everyone! 

I figured out the problem. I had to input the SMSC number for Public Mobile. My phone's "Message Center" option where you're supposed to put the SMSC number was greyed out. I ended up using my brothers Samsung Galaxy S6 and luckily on his phone, it wasn't greyed out. I inputed the Public Mobile SMSC number and when i transfered my sim back to my Samsung Galaxy S7, the SMSC number transfered with it.

Thanks everyone!

vernonli

Unfortunately it does not, I'm not sure how to access the messaging center because it's greyed out and I can't access the *#*#4636#*#* menu

Please note that APN settings have no effect on SMS text messages.  The two are completely unrelated. 

You're on the right track.  This is likely the SMSC set incorrectly.  I wish I had the SMSCentre number off the top of my head, but I don't.  Perhaps someone else knows it?

Does *#*#4636#*#* work on your phone?  If it does, it brings you to a Android hidden menu where you can manually change the SMSC.

vernonli

Hi,

My data is working perfectly. I just can't send out texts. Is my messaging centre supposed to be filled out? My messaging centre is greyed out and empty.

Sameer
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Need Help? Let's chat.