cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive calls from a landline

Jupiter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just ported my number to Public Mobile on Jan 13th, my friend tried calling me from a landline number and is now getting a message "the Number you have reached is not in service".     I can call the landline from my cell no problem and receive calls from other numbers.  With my previous cell provider I could receive calls from this particular landline no issues.   I spoke to the number port team they said everything has processed fine on their end!     What can I do to fix this who can i speak too?

12 REPLIES 12

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jupiter Atlas it worked out for you. Welcome to PM

Jupiter

My issues has fixed itself after several days as per some of the comments I received.

Thanks!

Jupiter

Thanks!  This was my problem and you're right it fixed itself after several days!

Oh yeah the physical location of your phone is a good factor to consider. Local calls are only local to the area the phone is physically located in.

For example, If you are in Vancouver, most calls to anywhere in the lower mainland will not incur the long distance "warning." If you then go to Kamloops, those calls to Vancouver will now incur the message, but calls to Kamloops would not.

This is why some people might think it's "random".

419mainstreet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Anytime you have an issue where you are getting a recording from local callers and you have A) moved to an area that has a different area or prefix code b) moved your service from one provider to another c) gotten a new phone number and it looks like a prefix you aren't familiar with you should call your provider and request they check the switch to make sure the LNP indicators have been properly assigned.

There is a process that is largely automated when you do any of these above listed things but as with all processes sometimes things get kinked up and not followed through. There may be an error that has stopped the porting process. If you request these steps usually it will resolve these issues.

stevenanto

@hTideGnow I see, it can get annoying for the customer though. 

LoreckAvery

Like others have said; sometimes it’s takes a few days for the port to be fully successful. Turn the phone on and off again and  If youre still having issues contact a moderator as from my reading they may be overly busy and take a bit to get back to you. Good luck! 

Lauterswitjhl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Did you turn your phone off and on since the switch?  It may take a few days but restarting your phone might also resolve the issue.

A friend I helped port to Public Mobile from Rogers in December had a MagicJack line for his home phone, and I think it took 2-3 days before he could reach his number after the port - but it sorted itself out in the end. I guess it takes some time for the changes to "propagate" .

@stevenanto   It is not a PM problem and Mod won't be able to help.

If you can get call from most providers but just one or two fail to reach it after the port, it  is not an issue  on the PM side..

Let's say the fail call  from Fongo to PM fail but other all good , it's Fongo didn't pass the call correctly to PM.. nothing PM can do

I experienced this myself as I hav many family and friends on Fongo and Freephoneline at home and using Fongo app.. they all can't call me the night my line was ported over.   People on a Bell line or Rogers and PM Mobile all able to call me no issue

I think it took a day and half to have the issue fixed by itself.

stevenanto

@Jupiter Although it can take a while for this to adjust right after a port even though it should be immediate I highly suggest that also contact a mod as soon as you can as they do seem to be backlogged with tickets. If it ends up fixing on its own then you are good and wont need the mod. But its always safe to contact them just in case. Click on the little chat icon at the bottom right of the screen to get started. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

no worry.. sometime it takes couple hours or even days for some providers to route the call to your line corretly

When i first ported over, i notice while most people called me no problem, people called me from Fongo and its parent company (fibernetics, freephonelines.ca)  always can't get through like your issue.. 2 days later.. all good.

different providers take different time to learn the new route.. I would imagine the traditional one will be quickest while VoIP might take longer.   Also, your friend's 'landline" might or might not be Bell.. check with your friend

It will only be an issue if after a week and it is still the same.  At that time, instead of open a ticket with PM, you should open a ticket with company that can't reach you 

Need Help? Let's chat.