cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive 2FA messages from Google

rpthms
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have just ported my number from Chatr to Public Mobile. Everything seems to be working fine, except that I'm not able to receive any verification messages from Google. I wasn't able to receive those messages when I was on Chatr either, but I didn't expect Public Mobile to have that same issue, since I had seen those messages on my friend's phone. Can you guys help me troubleshoot this issue? I'm at my wit's end!

10 REPLIES 10

Camelia_M
Customer Support Agent

Please check this Community Post:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Can-t-receive-2FA-messages-from-Googl...

If it does not work you will need to contact a member of our Moderator Team.
Submit a ticket via the 24/7 virtual assistance SIMon to get this looked at.
Note that you will need to create and/or sign in to the Community for the below link to work.

SUBMIT A TICKET - https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Wow that's an unusually long port .Glad it's working!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

rpthms

Woah, I can't believe it. I just, on a whim, decided to try the 2FA thing one more time before asking the moderator's help, and I finally got the SMS. I guess @Luddite was right after all, the porting was still in progress. Thanks a lot, everyone. Appreciate all of your inputs!!

rpthms

Oh.. okay then. Guess I'll send a PM to the moderator team. Thanks @srlawren

rpthms

Yes I do use Google Authenticator primarily, but I want to keep the SMS option available as well incase I don't have access to my phone. Just recently, I fell down by accident and cracked my phone's screen, and I couldn't sign into my other phone because I wasn't able to access the 2FA app. Had to use my backup codes instead. So, I just want to keep all my options open, in case anything like that happens again!! 🙂

srlawren

@rpthms don't wait, it's been plenty of time for porting from another mobile provider

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

rpthms

It's been about 7-8 hours since the porting was initiated. I had switched the SIM only after I lost the Chatr connection. Maybe I should wait for a day before reaching out to the moderator team..

srlawren

@rpthms this doesn't really solve your problem, but you could consider switching your Google account to using Google Authenticator rather than SMS for 2FA.  I always use GA when available rather than SMS as it eliminates issues like these, or inability to receive a token while travelling, etc.  

To take it one step further, I use Authy app (for Android phones, or for iPhones) instead of Google's own Google Authenticator.  Why?  Becuase I can have it sync between multiple devices, back up the tokens, etc.  I can also use the Authy chrome app on my PC to access the tokens there as needed.  Highly recommended if you use Google Authenticator tokens.

@rpthms Try your chatr SIM. If it still works the port-in is still underway. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

denkom
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That's odd, I personally have been able to receive verification messages from google to my PM telephone number. And even quite recently (within the last month). But perhaps there is someone in the forum who has come across this issue as well and will be able to provide some insights. If not, reach out to the @CS_Agent for assistance! Good luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.