Can't get phone working

NZCAN2007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

*Edited to make more sense*

Changing from Telus to PM

Activation process completed with no errors

Account showing Active in PM Self Serve

Went through the Activation steps.  Shows No SIM Card when phone screen locked (not provider locking phone - screen lock).  When screen unlocked shows full bars and the No SIM card message has gone.  I cannot make outbound or take inbound calls yet though. 

Contacted Telus and they said nothing needs to be done at their end re unlock ph etc

Telus told me to look under Settings>Connections>Networks.  There is no Networks option under Connections.  

They said they did not have to unlock the phone.  They said they thought Public Mobile would have to manually set something up - they tried to walk me through steps but as the Network settings were not able to found on my phone they thought is might take a manual step.

I have messaged PM but thought I'd post here in case somebody knew quickly what I should do

Re another topic (first priority getting calls and texts working)

I can't find where the APN settings are (on my phone - I know where to find what to enter from the site PM directed me to in Activation instructions)  - I have used search under settings and gone through a lot to try to find them.  

Last night on not being able to find that option - I did do a search and an option to Reset Network Settings under General Management came up - I did use this option (this was after I could not find Networks under Connections).  I hope this has not caused a problem.

APN does not come up in the search results when I search for it under settings

I have a Samsumg J3 6 - Model no SM-J320W8, IMEI xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IMEISV 12 

Is showing No network under "Network" in "SIM card Status" and No information available under all items underneath that in "SIM card status"

Thanks for any help

edited by computergeek541: IMEI isn't something you want to be posting, partly beccause it could be used by someone else to port your phone number out to a different carrier in an unauthorized manner

39 REPLIES 39

@Anonymous wrote:

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

Is used the settings here to change the Mobile Network settings in my phone.  

Can you please confirm that for my plan coverage I should select WCDMA only? - Does this equate to 3G?  It says 4G at the top even when WCDMA only is selected. Is this okay?

My plan is:

• - 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

The 3G is kind of a misnomer. It's really 4G throttled down to 3G speeds. If your phone has LTE then it should work fine. You might have a specific model that doesn't have LTE though. Check willmyphonework.net for your specific model.

In most cases, 3g connectivity is going to be much more important than LTE.  There are phones available compatible with Public Mobile's LTE network but not the 3g network.  Such devices will not be able to place nor receive standard phone calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

Can you please confirm that for my plan coverage I should select WCDMA only? - Does this equate to 3G?  It says 4G at the top even when WCDMA only is selected. Is this okay?

My plan is:

The 3G is kind of a misnomer. It's really 4G throttled down to 3G speeds. If your phone has LTE then it should work fine. You might have a specific model that doesn't have LTE though. Check willmyphonework.net for your specific model.

NZCAN2007

My plan is:

NZCAN2007

Thanks @Gregmt I did try it in another phone and it kind of worked but I did not keep it in for long to see how consistent it was.  The original Telus nano SIM card worked not problem for over 2 years in my J3 so I think it is a partially faulty SIM card.  I have read in other posts that it is sometimes the case and that taping it in can help.  I tried one more time last night after it stopped working again, this time taping again more strongly.  It is working at the moment however I have asked PM if I can get a replacement at no cost.  It is brand new so I don't think at this point I should have to pay for another one. Thanks for your reply!

Gregmt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Do you have another cell phone to try the Public Mobile SIM card in ( old phone you have kicking around the house, a friend's cell)? If you do I would try you Public Mobile SIM in it. It all works while in the other phone, then either something up with your cell or its SIM card slot. If you experience the same problems in the other phone you are trying as you did in your own Samsung J3, then most likely account issue or SIM card issue. If you're having the same issue with this second phone then cheapest and fastest trouble shoot works be to get another SIM and swap it out in place of the old one. You can easily do the swap out on line through your online account. 

Cheers

NZCAN2007

thank you @computergeek541 

NZCAN2007

Spoke too soon.  Not working again.  Will head down to Walmart tomorrow.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Good news, thanks for the updateSmiley Happy

NZCAN2007

Also - try this first before being led down the route of a factory reset!  I backed up, reset and now need to reload everything.  Oh well - I'm sure a reset will be good for it!

NZCAN2007

What a day - I've just realised that the sim card I took out last night was nano size as well!  The micro size came out of an old phone I used to test the PM SIM card in to make sure I could make it work at all.

So - solutions in end:

1) re SIM card not recognised - Samsung J3 may take a micro OR nano card depending on the tray size even if you are told it is micro (confirmed by different videos with different size trays).  Even though it has Micro written above the tray on the phone - the size of the slot could be nano.Tape maybe required however to keep it in place

2) if you can't find network option under settings - it should reappear once you get the SIM card working. Telus and PM had me trying to look for that and change settings in there as they thought that was why it was not working but network was not showing as an option under settings without the SIM card issue being resolved first. Thanks again all! 

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@NZCAN2007 , hokey tape is okie dokie. 👌

No. The hokey stuff is too cheap to be in a fancy phone 🙂

Haha MacGyver would have been so proud!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pizzaeh wrote:

No. The hokey stuff is too cheap to be in a fancy phone 🙂

Pizzaeh

sandpublic

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

Thank you @Anonymous and @sandpublic .  The problem is the micro won't fit any more - I don't know why it fit last night (original telus one was micro) and it won't fit now.  I've tried and tried. On looking at the slot with a flashlight it seems physically impossible for the micro to have even fit in there originally.  I'm going with the nano size and scotch tape to keep it in place.  If it keeps on not recognising the sim card I will have to look into it further.  Thanks so much for your time in replying.  Spent almost all day trying to trouble shoot with Telus and PM.  Hopefully scotch tape will save the day!

One suggestion is that if you purchased the card from Walmart you might want to go back and ask them if they can help you insert the SIM card. My guess is that they should be able to get things working for you. Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

Thank you @Anonymous and @sandpublic .  The problem is the micro won't fit any more - I don't know why it fit last night (original telus one was micro) and it won't fit now.  I've tried and tried. On looking at the slot with a flashlight it seems physically impossible for the micro to have even fit in there originally.  I'm going with the nano size and scotch tape to keep it in place.  If it keeps on not recognising the sim card I will have to look into it further.  Thanks so much for your time in replying.  Spent almost all day trying to trouble shoot with Telus and PM.  Hopefully scotch tape will save the day!

Well you've had the right attitude all along. This is the hands-on, self-serve, DIY place. I wouldn't keep the tape permanently though.

There's card orientation in the slot as well. Whichever way the notch goes.

NZCAN2007

sandpublic

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

Thanks @sandpublic  I did miss that there were three sizes -  I'm going a bit loopy here however - a micro size was installed which I took out last night.  I put the nano in which is the one that seemed too small to stay in place.  I cannot however now get either the old Telus or the new PM micro sized cards in the tray.  I am watching youtube videos some of which say to use a nano one even though the writing above tray says micro - others say use micro and they seem to be able to get it in no problem.  I used to pride myself on being pretty tech savvy and handy but this is baffling me. 

Just insert the nano card into the micro cutout if it does't stay in place you can use clear tape on the back side. Just make sure the card lines up correctly. This might help:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/ipad-faq/what-is-nano-sim-different-from-micro-sim.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NZCAN2007 

The hard plastic of the three sizes will kinda snap back together back into each other. The slot should be kinda obvious as to which size it takes. The card should slide in kinda snug to the point of wondering if you're damaging it...but not too snug!

NZCAN2007

Thanks @sandpublic  I did miss that there were three sizes -  I'm going a bit loopy here however - a micro size was installed which I took out last night.  I put the nano in which is the one that seemed too small to stay in place.  I cannot however now get either the old Telus or the new PM micro sized cards in the tray.  I am watching youtube videos some of which say to use a nano one even though the writing above tray says micro - others say use micro and they seem to be able to get it in no problem.  I used to pride myself on being pretty tech savvy and handy but this is baffling me. 

sandpublic

@sandpublic wrote:

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

The plastic card that has the SIM chip is cut too small for the slot in comparison to a Telus SIM card.  I'm going to go back to Walmart to see if I can get a replacement or contact Public Mobile.  I tried taping and it worked for a short time but not for long

Your phone uses a MicroSD card. The PM card are 3 in 1 meaning that it will support 3 sizes including MicroSD. No need to go to Walmart just push out the larger size and insert the SIM card and you should be good to go.

More info here:

https://store.publicmobile.ca/products/triple-punch-sim-card?variant=5876039041

Pizzaeh

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

The plastic card that has the SIM chip is cut too small for the slot in comparison to a Telus SIM card.  I'm going to go back to Walmart to see if I can get a replacement or contact Public Mobile.  I tried taping and it worked for a short time but not for long

The Public Mobile card containing the SIM will have three sizes.  The middle size (Micro SIM) is the correct one for the Samsung J3.  Once you have the new SIM card, you can move your Public Mobile number to the new SIM card online in your account.  Just go to Plans and Add-Ons, then Change SIM Card.  

sandpublic

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

Your phone uses a MicroSD card. The PM card are 3 in 1 meaning that it will support 3 sizes including MicroSD. No need to go to Walmart just push out the larger size and insert the SIM card and you should be good to go.

NZCAN2007

NZCAN2007

Great yours was seamless.  I did the switch last night so it should have worked by now.  PM has messaged me back - trying different options.  Will update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

Thank you for your reply

I have reinserted several times and it does seem as secure and snug as the previous telus chip. Will look into the taping though. Thank you - seems a bit hokey - PM should be providing chips that work.  It is after all an arm of Telus so one would expect the chips to work the same

There are three different sizes as well. Obviously make sure you're using the right one. The idea of tape is not so much about the quality of the SIM but more about the slot allowing the

SIM to slop around in the slot. So the tape acts as a shim. There might also be a little metal plate that might slide into place. Maybe that's off kilter.

But I'd still be looking to making sure I'm even so much as connecting to here.

NZCAN2007

Thank you for your reply

I have reinserted several times and it does seem as secure and snug as the previous telus chip. Will look into the taping though. Thank you - seems a bit hokey - PM should be providing chips that work.  It is after all an arm of Telus so one would expect the chips to work the same

NZCAN2007

Thanks for reply - my answers:

- For outgoing calls, do you get a recording? What does it say? - just comes up with screen message - no network

- For incoming calls, does it go to voicemail? Is it automated/default Public Mobile recording? - yes straight to VM - automated recording

What about texting? Incoming? outgoing? - tried both - no go

Edit: If you have no service at all, is it possible the SIM card in your phone does not match the number entered at activation?- it is correct

If no service, it could be a problem with the phone you have. If possible, try the SIM on another phone - possibly could do - I only have a bell cell ph for work so it is probably locked for public mobile use.  I have an phone that was on telus at work - I could try that

Will update if I have any luck - thank you!

NZCAN2007

By Phone locked I mean Screen lock on the physical phone.  When the Screen lock is on the message is No Sim Card.  When I unlock the screen lock there are full bars showing at the top but cannot make inbound/outbound.

Thanks for suggestion re Network - problem is I can't find anything on the phone to make such changes

sandpublic

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

Hi there,

*Edited to make more sense*

Changing from Telus to PM

Activation process completed with no errors

Account showing Active in PM Self Serve

Went through the Activation steps.  Shows No SIM Card when phone locked.  When unlocked shows full bars and the No SIM card message has gone.  I cannot make outbound or take inbound calls yet though. 

Contacted Telus and they said nothing needs to be done at their end re unlock ph etc

Telus told me to look under Settings>Connections>Networks.  There is no Networks option under Connections.  

They said they did not have to unlock the phone.  They said they thought Public Mobile would have to manually set something up - they tried to walk me through steps but as the Network settings were not able to found on my phone they thought is might take a manual step.

I have messaged PM but thought I'd post here in case somebody knew quickly what I should do

Re another topic (first priority getting calls and texts working)

I can't find where the APN settings are (on my phone - I know where to find what to enter from the site PM directed me to in Activation instructions)  - I have used search under settings and gone through a lot to try to find them.  

Last night on not being able to find that option - I did do a search and an option to Reset Network Settings under General Management came up - I did use this option (this was after I could not find Networks under Connections).  I hope this has not caused a problem.

APN does not come up in the search results when I search for it under settings

I have a Samsumg J3 6 - Model no SM-J320W8, IMEI xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IMEISV 12 

Is showing No network under "Network" in "SIM card Status" and No information available under all items underneath that in "SIM card status"

Thanks for any help

To make sure your phone is readingread card properly do the following:

On your phone Dial *#*#4636#*#*

Under phone information make sure it's showing the correct info like network, phone number etc. If it doesn't let us know what's missing.

spointer

i just did the exact same transfer from telus to PM. it was seemless. i did restart the phone after i put the sim card in and i validated the APN. i did read that is can take 2 hours for a number to port over but mine was up and running in a matter of minutes. very impressed.

Need Help? Let's chat.