Can't get phone working

NZCAN2007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

*Edited to make more sense*

Changing from Telus to PM

Activation process completed with no errors

Account showing Active in PM Self Serve

Went through the Activation steps.  Shows No SIM Card when phone screen locked (not provider locking phone - screen lock).  When screen unlocked shows full bars and the No SIM card message has gone.  I cannot make outbound or take inbound calls yet though. 

Contacted Telus and they said nothing needs to be done at their end re unlock ph etc

Telus told me to look under Settings>Connections>Networks.  There is no Networks option under Connections.  

They said they did not have to unlock the phone.  They said they thought Public Mobile would have to manually set something up - they tried to walk me through steps but as the Network settings were not able to found on my phone they thought is might take a manual step.

I have messaged PM but thought I'd post here in case somebody knew quickly what I should do

Re another topic (first priority getting calls and texts working)

I can't find where the APN settings are (on my phone - I know where to find what to enter from the site PM directed me to in Activation instructions)  - I have used search under settings and gone through a lot to try to find them.  

Last night on not being able to find that option - I did do a search and an option to Reset Network Settings under General Management came up - I did use this option (this was after I could not find Networks under Connections).  I hope this has not caused a problem.

APN does not come up in the search results when I search for it under settings

I have a Samsumg J3 6 - Model no SM-J320W8, IMEI xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IMEISV 12 

Is showing No network under "Network" in "SIM card Status" and No information available under all items underneath that in "SIM card status"

Thanks for any help

edited by computergeek541: IMEI isn't something you want to be posting, partly beccause it could be used by someone else to port your phone number out to a different carrier in an unauthorized manner

39 REPLIES 39

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NZCAN2007, just to get this out of the way, make sure the SIM card is being inserted correctly.  Could be a faulty SIM card; maybe the SIM is not making proper contact with the phone?  In another post, a user said they had to add two layers of scotch tape to the top of the SIM to make it fit snugly (it was too loose).

@NZCAN2007, here are a few things to try answering which may help with troubleshooting.

You said cannot make or take calls.

What happens when you try?

- For outgoing calls, do you get a recording? What does it say?

- For incoming calls, does it go to voicemail? Is it automated/default Public Mobile recording?

What about texting? Incoming? outgoing?

Edit: If you have no service at all, is it possible the SIM card in your phone does not match the number entered at activation?

If no service, it could be a problem with the phone you have. If possible, try the SIM on another phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NZCAN2007 wrote:

No errors during activation

update - when my phone is locked the top says NO SIM card, when I unlock it the message goes away and there are full bars but I can do inbound/outbond

What do you mean "phone is locked"?

So you can't find a way to scan for any available networks? I'm sure Android has that somewhere. My non-stock 4.4 has it under Settings/Mobile network settings/Network operators.

There's also Preferred network type in there.

NZCAN2007

Thanks for your reply again

Previous Telus - switching to PM

I've reinserted the SIM several times and restarted - when chatting with Telus they had me take it out, wait 30 seconds and then put it back in and turn it on. 

Thanks - I'll wait to see what they say - I'll post anything helpful here after

NZCAN2007

No errors during activation

update - when my phone is locked the top says NO SIM card, when I unlock it the message goes away and there are full bars but I can do inbound/outbond

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NZCAN2007  - So you transfered a number from Telus - not Koodo, right?  The reason I ask is that transfers from Koodo PREPAID must be done by moderator team.  Regardless of the number transfer problem, once your account was activated you should have been able to make outgoing calls.  I am guessing that you have restarted the phone...

You will probably have to wait until the moderators contact you.

NZCAN2007

This plan includes: -
- 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
- Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
- Unlimited International Text
$25 per month

NZCAN2007

Thanks for your reply

Yes from previous reading I saw that the APN settings do not affect the calls - I'm just curious as to how to find it in case I have to change things.  Should have split that up in my question

Yes my Plan is showing as active and I have received a "sorry to see you go" email from Telus and I chatted with Telus this morning.  They said they did not have to unlock the phone.  They said they thought Public Mobile would have to manually set something up - they tried to walk me through steps but as the Network settings were not able to found on my phone they thought is might take a manual step.  I have messaged PM but thought I'd post here in case somebody knew quickly what I should do

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NZCAN2007- Were there any errors during activation?  What plan did you activate on?  Also, are you able to log into your self serve portal?  If so, does it show that you have an active plan?

If you have calling in your plan, the APN settings would not have anything to do with being able to call.

Need Help? Let's chat.