cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect

FredTracie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

my number was ported over and I have checked that I have the right APN but I still haven't been able to connect to the service.  I keep getting the message Not connected to network. 

15 REPLIES 15

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@FredTracie wrote:

Thank you and all help is great as I'm not very good at this.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Core LTE G 386W and was registered with Telus.  Once I set up my account(checked to make sure the phone was compatable) my number was ported over and I lost all service with Telus but I have no service with Public but I see my number is associated with my Public account.  I just don't know what to do next?  This all started on Sunday 😞

@FredTracie 

I stand corrected,  as @Psygineer points out Telus phones don't need to be unlocked to work on Public Mobile. Sorry for the misleading info.

Good luck

I've had  a Galaxy Core LTE from Koodo before, and getting it to work on Telus did in fact require an unlock code.  This was repeatable too.    I know first hand that it was asking for the network nck code.  This model was a strange creature in the sense that it would relock ro Koodo after each factory reset and would ask for the  network unllock code whenever inserting anything (including Telus, Rogers, etc) but a Koodo sim.

So, while Koodo and Telus phone generally don't need to be unlocked.for uae with the Telus umbrella of brands, I have personally seen one situation in which network unlocking was requored.

Saying all that, if this was the case for the OP, he/she would have already been prompted for the network unlock code.

FredTracie

Thank you I will 

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

At this point, might be the best bet to contact the moderators.

You can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

FredTracie

Thanks but it didn't work 😞 

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@FredTracie wrote:

Thank you and all help is great as I'm not very good at this.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Core LTE G 386W and was registered with Telus.  Once I set up my account(checked to make sure the phone was compatable) my number was ported over and I lost all service with Telus but I have no service with Public but I see my number is associated with my Public account.  I just don't know what to do next?  This all started on Sunday 😞

@FredTracie we can try to help figure this out, but we need some details that will help us try to determine what the issue is.  

Did you purchase the phone or get it from Telus when you were with Telus?  

If so, approximately how long ago did you get the phone from Telus?

What I'm thinking is, that phone is old, so if you got it from Telus, it may still be locked to Telus.  In Dec 2017, the government said all phones have be sold unlocked and if a customer contacts them to unlock a phone they sold to the customer, they must unlock it for free.  I would contact Telus and give them the details and ask them nicely to unlock it.  If they won't/can't, you'll have to find an unlocking service that can do it for you, for a fee. 

Good luck

Good thinking, but a Telus locked phone should work on PM even without unlocking. Same goes for a Koodo locked phone.

Pizzaeh

@FredTracie wrote:

@FredTracie 

I stand corrected,  as @Psygineer points out Telus phones don't need to be unlocked to work on Public Mobile. Sorry for the misleading info.

Good luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FredTracie wrote:

Have you been able to try the SIM in another phone?

Have you been able to try a different active SIM in the phone? I know the Telus one was fine before but y'know...

Is it the right size of SIM card for the slot? There are 3 different sizes.

Edit: @FredTracie  is the network setting set to Telus or auto? Try a re-scan of networks and see if it finds Public Mobile.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@FredTracie wrote:

The fact that it worked on Telus means that the issue is not with phone compatability. I think it's best at this point to send a message to the @CS_Agent to take a look at it. Click here:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437”
The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox. 

FredTracie

@FredTracie wrote:

Yes I did go there and my APN setting is correct and I still get the message "not registered on network"?

This is not an APN setting issue. APN settings only allow you to use cellular data. You could have bogus APN information and phone calls and text messaging would still work.  Bad APN settings also would not product that error meessage of "not registered on network". 

Either your phone is trying to connect to a 2g network, or your sim card was never activated properly  Before going to the mods, make sure that you first try restarting your phone. Also make sure that the 3g network type setting is set to be connected to in the network settings.  Your phone may not be compatible.

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@FredTracie 

Try the lost/stolen phone trick:
1. Login to your self-serve account.
2. Report your phone lost/stolen using [Plan and Add-Ons] --> [Lost/Stolen Phone]
3. Logoff
4. Wait 5 minutes and login again
5. Report your phone found.
6. Reboot phone.

FredTracie

Yes I did go there and my APN setting is correct and I still get the message "not registered on network"?

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@FredTracie If your phone is Android phone, you probably need to reset APN. Fellow this link to see if your phone APN setting is correct, otherwise fellow the instruction to reset it.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

Psygineer

@FredTracie wrote:

my number was ported over and I have checked that I have the right APN but I still haven't been able to connect to the service.  I keep getting the message Not connected to network. 

That sounds a lot like the phone isn't compatible or is locked to your former carrier. That assumes you are not able to connect period. If you mean people calling you are not ringing your phone, that means the port has not compelted that phase of it yet. 

If you have another unlocked phone laying around try your SIM in it and see if you can get service or if you know someone who has an unlocked phone or a Telus/Koodo phone you could see if they would let you test your SIM in their phone. There is the possibility the SIM is bad, but that isn't that terribly common.

Pizzaeh

@FredTracie wrote:

What phone do you have?

Is it unlocked?

Have you tried the SIM in another phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.