cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't accept incoming calls cannot do any texting except with public mobile

sch1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I recently (two days ago) setup a new account and ported my number from speakout.  It appears to have worked in that I can make outgoing calls and the number shows as my ported number.  However, I cannot accept incoming calls and I cannot send or receive texts (other than the ones that come from public mobile).

When I sent a text as a test it shows in my overview that I've sent one text, however, the person I sent it to did not receive it.

Is there some additional step that needs to be performed?  Do I just need to wait longer?

Thanks,

19 REPLIES 19

@wetcoaster wrote:

Just as a reference point:

Helped a friend setting up her account with Public Mobile tonight. We did a direct port from SpeakOut at sign-up (ie no random PM number assigned at sign-up) and used IMEI and PIN. Port was completed 58 minutes after completing the PM SIM activation.

That's what I was thinking and mentioned much earlier 7 hours ago. Thanks for confirmation.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Just as a reference point:

Helped a friend setting up her account with Public Mobile tonight. We did a direct port from SpeakOut at sign-up (ie no random PM number assigned at sign-up) and used IMEI and PIN. Port was completed 58 minutes after completing the PM SIM activation.

@sch1 wrote:

Thanks,

It's possible I used the wrong IMEI.  When I hit *#06# there were two.  I used the top one.  I will wait to see what a moderator can do and maybe try to get it from speakout.  I logged in there and can't find it easily.

Dual SIM phone?

No, this information is not accessible on SpeakOuts account page, you'll have to call customer service (if your SO SIM is still active, which should be the case until the port is completed, dial 611. [While it has been a while, their toll-free number 1-866-310-1023 first connected me to a call centre catering to US customers which required an internal connection to the Canadians...])

sch1

Thanks,

It's possible I used the wrong IMEI.  When I hit *#06# there were two.  I used the top one.  I will wait to see what a moderator can do and maybe try to get it from speakout.  I logged in there and can't find it easily.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

You should call Speakout to ask for the IMEI number on your account.  Then, send a private message to moderator with the IMEI information.

Wouldn't the IMEI either be somewhere in a setting on the phone or on an actual sticker somewhere on the phone? Under a battery or something.

@Anonymous 

Before coming to Public Mobile I had been with SpeakOut for nearly a decade. I had that SIM in, I think, four different phones... When I got in touch with SpeakOut the IMEI on file was not the one in use at the time. That is why I encourage SpeakOut customers to get the required porting information directly from SpeakOut before initiating the port.

Along with popping's reply above...how can that even work?! Isn't the IMEI linked to the SIM which is linked to the service? I thought the IMEI was a critical piece to the whole connectivity. Kinda like a MAC address in network-speak.

Thanks for the explanation.

Looks like PM isn't the only provider with some quirks in the system... If SpeakOut (and PetroCan) would just connect an account number with the SIM a lot of troubles with porting could be avoided...

(I am aware that one feature of those two providers, that could be considered an advantage under certain circumstances, is that you can technically have a phone without ever having an official account / paper trail...)

Thanks. I was about to post an edit so here I am. I did a little Wikipedia-ing. So it's really only used for blacklisting. So it would seem that maybe perhaps services like Speakout might be ignoring the blacklist if an IMEI isn't kept with the account/SIM. Loophole much.

@Anonymous wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

You should call Speakout to ask for the IMEI number on your account.  Then, send a private message to moderator with the IMEI information.

Wouldn't the IMEI either be somewhere in a setting on the phone or on an actual sticker somewhere on the phone? Under a battery or something.

@Anonymous 

Before coming to Public Mobile I had been with SpeakOut for nearly a decade. I had that SIM in, I think, four different phones... When I got in touch with SpeakOut the IMEI on file was not the one in use at the time. That is why I encourage SpeakOut customers to get the required porting information directly from SpeakOut before initiating the port.

Along with popping's reply above...how can that even work?! Isn't the IMEI linked to the SIM which is linked to the service? I thought the IMEI was a critical piece to the whole connectivity. Kinda like a MAC address in network-speak.

Looks like PM isn't the only provider with some quirks in the system... If SpeakOut (and PetroCan) would just connect an account number with the SIM a lot of troubles with porting could be avoided...

(I am aware that one feature of those two providers, that could be considered an advantage under certain circumstances, is that you can technically have a phone without ever having an official account / paper trail...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sch1 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the help.  I used the IMEI number to port over, so hopefully that isn't the issue.  I'll check with a moderator and be patient.

I appreciate the help.

That is good.  PM had done its part to get your SO number.  You are waiting for SO to release your number to SO.

BTW, which IMEI number did you use?  According to one of the link which I posted, it must be the IMEI stored on SO system - not your latest IMEI used on your phone.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Successful-port-from-SpeakOut/m-p/85632/h...

I hear Speakout needs IMEI and PIN or request will fail.  Contact the mods and have them redo.

sch1

Thanks,

I wondered if that was the problem.  I've messaged the moderators and will wait for a reply.

I appreciate the help.

Nice attitude @sch1 !

sch1

Hello,

Thanks for the help.  I used the IMEI number to port over, so hopefully that isn't the issue.  I'll check with a moderator and be patient.

I appreciate the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@sch1, was your account at Speakout still active?  Ports must be done when the number is active at the sending carrier.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sch1 wrote:

Hello,

I recently (two days ago) setup a new account and ported my number from speakout.  It appears to have worked in that I can make outgoing calls and the number shows as my ported number.  However, I cannot accept incoming calls and I cannot send or receive texts (other than the ones that come from public mobile).

When I sent a text as a test it shows in my overview that I've sent one text, however, the person I sent it to did not receive it.

Is there some additional step that needs to be performed?  Do I just need to wait longer?

Thanks,

Your Speakout port is not completed yet.  PM has done it work and got your Speakout number.  It is up to Speakout to release your number to PM.

What info did you provide for the port?

Speakout does not have account number.  Subscribers on this forum that you need to supply your IMEI number together with your Speakout number.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

I will update this post after I found the thread about porting number from Speakout.

Update 1:

@DougL 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Successful-port-from-SpeakOut/m-p/85632/h...

@wetcoaster 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Ported-Speakout-problem-Please-help/m-p/2...

dev3100

Try restarting phone. Also, Check in online account after switch, if proper recharge is done? Once you complete port you still need to do the first time recharge with a prepaid plan you like as a new user. If you've already setup Auto Pay it will deduct amount from next cycle. For current cycle you need to make first time recharge.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@sch1 

It looks like you have an incomplete port.  

You will need to contact moderator to help finish port.  Expect 1-2 day response time.

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sch1 

I think you just ported, it takes some time, It can take time on your first port over.

If the issue continues you may have a partially completed port, sometimes ports just take a bit longer. I suggest you send a message to the moderator team and include your name, account number and/or phone number and pin number and they will get back to you asoon as they can.

Need Help? Let's chat.