cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can receive calls and texts but not make or send them....

Jen1204
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So frustrated!  I bought my son an

inexpensive Maxwest Nitro 4X phone at London Drugs.  He is only 11 and just needs it for safety reasons as he takes the bus on his own now.  The phone says Emergence Calls Only - No Sim Card then how does the phone receive calls or texts?  When I try to text is says "no preferred SIM selected for sending SMS messages."  In settings, under SIM cards, it has recognized that the SIM is in slot 1 and that slot 2 is empty and that switches automatically when I move it to the other slot.  

Under that it has Preferred SIM for Mobile Data, Calls and Messages.  Everything there is ghosted in grey but says that selections are required for mobile data and messages.  

I am so confused and frustrated!  How can it get calls and texts if there is no recognized SIM?  Why does the screen light up and I can answer a call but it won't ring? Is it the phone?  The SIM card?  Me?  Likely the latter as I am very technologically challenged.  Any help would be so very much appreciated!!  TIA

23 REPLIES 23

Jen1204

You are right, it was the phone.  I returned it for something else.  Thanks for your help and time everyone.  Much appreciated!!!

@Jen1204 wrote:

Screenshot_20190909-003729.png

When everything is greyed out like this, it means the SIM is not being read by the phone as if there isn't one.  The phone appears to be defective.  You could try again with another SIM from a plan that is known to be fully functional.  If the SIM is detected, things should not be greyed out and show SIM empty message. 

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've seen this issue with some lower cost phones; the problem is SIM card compatibility.  These cheap phones may/may not have been designed properly to meet the SIM card standards (especially with newer SIM cards).  Thus, the SIM card is not always detected; resulting in the phone cutting in/out of service.

To learn more on the technical workings of a SIM card (link).

Recommendation: Dump the this Maxwest phone and go for something with better support (example: Alcatel/LG) @ the $100 range.

DanielleMarie

@Jen1204 wrote:

I can't change either slider.  THe top one says I can't deactivate 2 at once and the bottem one just stays non-reactive. 

It's really hard to find info on this phone and even the greyed out Network stuff seems rare in general. I found one post that might be helpful? Try this:

>Turn off the phone
>Remove sim card from phone
>Turn phone back on
>Dial *#06# and press call button
>imei number will show on screen
>check setting/status to confirm imei number
>restart the phone with sim card insert to confirm networks connectivity

Hmm. Anything that says Sim Management?..I tried finding your phones manual was not able to find 4x but found 5 I think. (Maybe similar to your phone) anything for sim management??

Number 3 on pic.

Screenshot_20190909_024717.jpg

Jen1204

I can't change either slider.  THe top one says I can't deactivate 2 at once and the bottem one just stays non-reactive. 

Jen1204

Screenshot_20190909-003729.png

Jen1204
Spoiler
Everything I seem to need is ghosted.

Screenshot_20190909-003742.png

Was just reading Google searches. Some threads on other sites say you have to set your preferred sim. (As you mentioned before for a text message out that it said "no prefered sim selected".

Can you try searching your settings?

Some posts (don't know if it's same as your phone" say Settings - Dual SIM card Settings - Preferred SIM card -

Other posts said open settings and in search field type "sim"

DanielleMarie

@Jen1204 

When you go into Settings -> Network does it say Public Mobile as the network? If so can you select a different network and then when it errors switch back to PM? It has apparently helped others in the past. You could also try playing with the preferred network type to see if that does anything.

Worst case you might have to return that phone and try something else. If you need something cheap you can check Craigslist or eBay. You can also get refurbs from Amazon or Staples. Just make sure the phone is compatible by checking here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

Jen1204

Put SIM back in:   Outgoing call - still says no SIM and Emergency calls only.  Tried to call and a pop up says "Mobile network not available."

I called his phone and it said " incoming through main card - emergency calls only"  However, he was able to answer and talk to me???  It does not ring despite the volume being up.

When trying to send a text, there is a message saying "no preferred SIM selected for sending SMS messages."

I sent him a text, the phone chimed to notify him a text had come in and he can read it.

The phone is brand new from the box, package perfectly sealed.  It was a cheap phone though on sale from 89 to 49.  I did a full factory reset just now after reading your message.  Everything is the same. 

@GinYVR @Anonymous thanks for info on bands 😁

I'll google more about her phone

Jen1204

Took me some time but I did what you asked and answered each one a further up...  TIA for your help. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

According to public mobile phone compatibility checker..that phone does not support 4g....don't know if that has anything to do with some of the issues you're experiencing.. Hopefully someone smart in that aspect can reply regarding that.

Not saying I'm anything resembling smart but PM uses those frequencies for voice and SMS. Data might be a problem depending on whether it's talking HSDPA on those frequencies. But the phone should work.

@Jb456Band support has nothing to do with the symptoms @Jen1204 is experiencing. As long as a phone supports 3G bands 2 and 5 it should be fine with Public Mobile.

According to public mobile phone compatibility checker..that phone does not support 4g....don't know if that has anything to do with some of the issues you're experiencing.. Hopefully someone smart in that aspect can reply regarding that.

Screenshot_20190909_020414.jpg

@Jen1204I would suggest just take the phone back to London Drugs and get them to give you a new one.. they are usually good with returns like this.

Jen1204

Put SIM back in:   Outgoing call - still says no SIM and Emergency calls only.  Tried to call and a pop up says "Mobile network not available."

I called his phone and it said " incoming through main card - emergency calls only"  However, he was able to answer and talk to me???  It does not ring despite the volume being up.

When trying to send a text, there is a message saying "no preferred SIM selected for sending SMS messages."

I sent him a text, the phone chimed to notify him a text had come in and he can read it.

The phone is brand new from the box, package perfectly sealed.  It was a cheap phone though on sale from 89 to 49.  I did a full factory reset just now after reading your message.  Everything is the same. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jen1204 wrote:

When his SIM was in my phone, it was able to make a call to my other son.  However, when he tried that #*#*4636#*#* it says that this is Public Mobile and that the plan does not allow for any outgoing calls.  I just checked my account and he has 100 outgoing minutes, unlimited incoming and unlimited texting. 

Was this a new out of the box phone or a demo or a used or a refurbished?

Maybe do a complete factory reset everything on it to make sure it's really starting fresh.

Jen1204

When his SIM was in my phone, it was able to make a call to my other son.  However, when he tried that #*#*4636#*#* it says that this is Public Mobile and that the plan does not allow for any outgoing calls.  I just checked my account and he has 100 outgoing minutes, unlimited incoming and unlimited texting. 

So it's a phone hardware issue not service issue.

Now we have to figure out how to fix it 😋

Put sim back in your son's phone..turn on again.

Respond with what works and does not work TEST EACH ONE!

Calls out?

Calls in?

Text out?

Text in?

Data?

We'll take it one step at a time 😁

Jen1204

OK, we just put his SIM in my phone and everything worked well, no issues.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Jen1204Can you swap your son's SIM card with a known working phone to see if you an replicate the problem? If you can, it is Public Mobile's problem not yours. Try that first and report back.

Need Help? Let's chat.