cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not text or use data

Timelypoet
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Phone will make and recieve calls, but will no longer text or access data. New plan, have unlimited text and 1g data. Tried to reset APN but there is no setting where I can add a mew ASN. Currently showing Telus ASN. Any suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@Timelypoet wrote:

Thanks geopublic, I was trying to change the APN to public mobile but there was no option to add new. Only listed 3 different telus options. That is my concern. I have tried to find another way to do so and I have no ideas anymore. I am hoping someone who is familiar with the phone may know.

@Timelypoet , there's some phones with android 8.1 that lost ability to add new APN.  According to the Walmart site, this phone runs on android 8.0.  Maybe this phone is affected by the same issue.  There's been workarounds posted online about how to get around the problem.  It seems like the easiest possible solution is to put a freedom SIM card into the phone which will allow a new APN to be added.  Not sure if it's convenient to give this a try.  You should be able to get a dead SIM card from any freedom store.

Yes please try this method first before going the app route.

@Timelypoet wrote:

Thanks geopublic, I was trying to change the APN to public mobile but there was no option to add new. Only listed 3 different telus options. That is my concern. I have tried to find another way to do so and I have no ideas anymore. I am hoping someone who is familiar with the phone may know.

@Timelypoet , there's some phones with android 8.1 that lost ability to add new APN.  According to the Walmart site, this phone runs on android 8.0.  Maybe this phone is affected by the same issue.  There's been workarounds posted online about how to get around the problem.  It seems like the easiest possible solution is to put a freedom SIM card into the phone which will allow a new APN to be added.  Not sure if it's convenient to give this a try.  You should be able to get a dead SIM card from any freedom store.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Timelypoet wrote:

If its an android there are apps that can assist with that, I haven't had time yet to look into your device model.

Timelypoet

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Timelypoet wrote:

Phone will make and recieve calls, but will no longer text or access data. New plan, have unlimited text and 1g data. Tried to reset APN but there is no setting where I can add a mew ASN. Currently showing Telus ASN. Any suggestions?

@Timelypoet The Telus APN will not work for data. You need to create the Public Mobile APN as follows:

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one. If you can't create a new one or modify the Telus one then you need to get a hold of a Freedom sim to be able to add a new APN.

The Bible for compatibility is http://willmyphonework.net but it's not listed there. Someone who knows will eventually stumble on to your thread and have your answer. Hopefully soon. Good luck.

Timelypoet

Text was working yesterday, stopped today and data was not working at all. I tried the sim in an old unlocked note 5 and the sim card didn't even register. It took 4 days before the sim card even worked in the phone to set up initially- basically started working right when i was about to take back the phone and discontinue service.

I too am not familiar with the pb cell, so not sure if theres an issue with compatibility or not.

This is on the Walmart website in relation to the Packard Bell airphone. 

This device is 4G and is Compatible with SIM card devices from many major GSM networks. (Not compatible with CDMA networks such as Verizon and Sprint. SIM card and service plan must be purchased separately)

Does anyone know if this is definitive in anyway? I don't understand compatibility as well as many others do.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Did texting and data work before? As you said no longer.

Does the data addon show in selfserve?

Not familiar with that phone, what version of android? 8.1 sometimes would not ally apn being modified.

As for sms, maybe try a different sms program, I remember somtimes I had 24 hour periods where sms stopped. 

Can you try sim in your phone? That will help isolate account VS hardware issues

Timelypoet

It is a packard bell airphone, I was told at the kiosk that it would work just fine for my daughters needs. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What phone and what OS?

Texting should work regardless of apn setting unless it is a mms

Need Help? Let's chat.