cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can make calls, can receive texts, but can't receive calls after creating account with transfer #

bluebemusement
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I recently signed up to Public Mobile and transferred my old number over. I'm told it can take up to two hours to be fully functional but it's been about 24 hours now and I'm still having issues; I can make calls and I can receive texts but I can't receive calls. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks a bunch

12 REPLIES 12

@bluebemusement wrote:

I used to be with Chatr. I contacted them a couple of times and they all told me the same thing; Once a number is deactivated, even if it's not used by anyone else, it can never be reactivated for anyone. Shame, since it means I've lost control/ use of an old Gmail e-mail account attached to that number...

That's terrible that Chatr told you that and also compeltely wrong.

Phone numbers gets re-used all the time, including at Chatr. And yes, carriers can reactive service if it's cancelled by accident.

Gregmt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This happened to me one time when my port went bad. My old number got cancelled and only way I got the number back was by reactivating with the old provider. Once I did this I went back to public mobile and got the moderator to port for me. Worked like a charm. 

@bluebemusement just login with your email instead of your number and then register your current number to your Gmail account

bluebemusement

I used to be with Chatr. I contacted them a couple of times and they all told me the same thing; Once a number is deactivated, even if it's not used by anyone else, it can never be reactivated for anyone. Shame, since it means I've lost control/ use of an old Gmail e-mail account attached to that number...

@bluebemusement 

Who told you that once deactivated a number is forever unretrievable? Call the old company back and have it reactivated.  It has to be possible, at least technically, although indivdual company policies may vary. The reason that it needs to be possible is in case of fraudent account closure by someone else or because of possible accidental service cut-off by the carrier.

@gpixel wrote:

@bluebemusement so moderators can't do anything? I don't think that's entirely accurate. try changing your number in your self serve account or try getting mods to do it.

No PM moderators can not do anything if the account at the old provider was closed and number released prior to initiating the port at Public Mobile.

The only possible way to get the old number back would be to re-activate service with the old provider, and ask if they can re-activate with the old number. Then you could initiate a port of the old number to Public Mobile.

@bluebemusement so moderators can't do anything? I don't think that's entirely accurate. try changing your number in your self serve account or try getting mods to do it.

bluebemusement

Turns out my old number was deactivated when I left my other service provider and once deactivated, the number is flushed and forever unretrievable.

Thanks everyone for the help.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I believe that your port is stuck. I would advise that you contact a Moderator and ask them to look into the details of your port.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bluebemusement wrote:

Hi, I recently signed up to Public Mobile and transferred my old number over. I'm told it can take up to two hours to be fully functional but it's been about 24 hours now and I'm still having issues; I can make calls and I can receive texts but I can't receive calls. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks a bunch

@bluebemusement  Sounds like your port is stuck. Do you use an iPhone? Maybe that is why you can receive texts via iMessage.

Best to click this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. Include your account# with the previous provider, name on the account and phone number and ask them to check the status of your port.

Be sure to note the best practices below to ensure a smooth process:

1. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number.
    2. You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
    3. Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
    4. Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@bluebemusement try restarting your phone,  turn it off remove and reinsert the SIM, wait 5 minutes and restart your phone.  If this doesn't work, your SIM may not have provisioned correctly.  Contact the moderators and ask them to reset your service. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Welcome to PM .

By any chance are those incoming texts only coming from other Public or Telus customers?

This does ound as if the porting hasn't gone through. Check if your incoming calls are still going to your old service.

Need Help? Let's chat.