cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone share LTE speed in b.c

Harvir_K
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi I used to be with public but switched away. I now need a second line and am thinking about having that on public mobile. But can anyone share LTE speed  in b.c if possible close to new Westminster.

21 REPLIES 21

@DanZap wrote:

I just switched from telus mobile to Public today on my iphone 5s.

I use Ookla speed test app for every wifi network I use and often I will test cellular as well if I suspect service is sub-par.

January 10, 2019

Download:  90.37 Mbps

Upload:      12.11 Mbps

iPhone 5s only supports LTE Cat 4.  Your speed result there is very good for that.

If you're on an LTE plan at Public Mobile, your current device isn't the best to use to test out the network.  With a newer device, Public Mobile is capable of providing much faster speed results.

On a side note, the speedtest.net app is a data guzzler.  One test can run between 0.5 to 1GB (depends how fast your connection is).  This test uses more data that faster your speeds are.

DanZap
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just switched from telus mobile to Public today on my iphone 5s.

I use Ookla speed test app for every wifi network I use and often I will test cellular as well if I suspect service is sub-par.

January 10, 2019

Download:  90.37 Mbps

Upload:      12.11 Mbps

Harvir_K

Wow that is much faster. I'm probably going to wait for a month since i have $100 credit with freedom mobile

Harvir_K

Wow that is much faster. I'm probably going to wait for a month since i have $100 credit with freedom mobile 😞

As @imm1304 mentioned, Public Mobile recently fixed the throttling bug. The speed has been improved alot since then. I am not in the New West but somewhere near there and i got this speed at home. I am sure you won't have to worry about the coverage as long as your phone is fully compatible with Telus network. 

@ShawnC13 Is that speed you got after they fixed the throttling bug? It should be more than that unless you aren't connecting to LTE bands. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I can do some testing at or near the New West or Columbia skytrain stations on my way home or way to work if that helps.  I take the train through there most weekdays.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Harvir_K

Yes I had moved my number too new provider. The 4gb for 1 month is enough for me but I will switch after 1 month. Because i have $100 credits in freedom mobile. 😞

@Harvir_K, I see you are coming back to PM I hope that you have found that the data amounts are ok I know before you were saying it wasn't enough and that is why you switched away that and the last promo wasn't as good as you thought it would be.  I am in Victoria and my speeds are nothing to brag about  I am only getting 15-20 download and 8-9 upload.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
I'm in New West near the Justice Institute. I did a speed test yesterday and got 69 down, 10.31 up.

Speeds and coverage have been good everywhere I've used it in New West which isn't a surprise since PM uses Telus' network.

Hope that helps.

imm1304

@wetcoaster bring up an important point, @Harvir_K!

If you ported out of PM, then the account got deactivated permanently.  The sim card is useless in this case and you will have to order a new one.  

@imm1304 wrote:

20 days is good.  From the selfserve you can only reactivate on the plan it was on at the time of suspension. 

If you want to reactivate on a different plan, you have to send a private message to @Mary_M with your choices.  You can, however, edit the Payment section in the selfserve while the account is suspended to enter your card details and then instruct the mod to charge the registered card to make things more efficient.  

Not sure if you have ported your number to your new provider? @Harvir_K

My understanding is that in that case the SIM card becomes unusable.

Good luck!

imm1304

20 days is good.  From the selfserve you can only reactivate on the plan it was on at the time of suspension. 

If you want to reactivate on a different plan, you have to send a private message to @Mary_M with your choices.  You can, however, edit the Payment section in the selfserve while the account is suspended to enter your card details and then instruct the mod to charge the registered card to make things more efficient.  

Harvir_K
It's been about 20 days

imm1304

If the old sim card was already used, then you have 90 days from the day the last plan expired on that sim card.  If more than 90 days have passed, then you can toss it.

If its an unused sim card, it doesnt really expire until activated first.  

SD08

@Harvir_K

You can check for the cell towers in your area on this map:
https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
PM uses any green (Telus) or blue (Bell) towers. You can also click on the individual towers to see which bands they support.

Harvir_K
My old sim card might be able to work with public. I will ask a mod when does a SIM card expire.

Borrow a sim card from Telus/Bell and test.  The result is the same.

Harvir_K
Thanks once my SIM card comes I will bring my second line to public and maybe move my first one here too.

imm1304

Hey @Harvir_K,

You can expect excellent data speeds in most areas where there is Telus coverage.

Recently, PM fixed a bug that was resulting in slower LTE speeds.  Read the last few pages of this thread where people have reported speedtest results, many of them from BC:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Is-Public-Mobile-s-LTE-throttled-vs-Telus-...

Hoepfully someone from the specific area you are interested in will comment sooner or later.  

Harvir_K
I know I just want to know near Douglas college if possible. Is it useable. I'm going to order a SIM card.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Speed is decent in BC area.   You wont get much LTE speed result as it used up too many data.  

You can simply sign up for a short term and test it in your area by yourself, results varies, depends on many variables.

Need Help? Let's chat.