zhengtuitu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can Public Mobile cancel my voicemail?

17 REPLIES 17

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@zhengtuitu wrote:

As others here have suggested you can decide to ignore the voicemail instead of trying to disable it because you only use minutes when retrieving that voicemail.  I haven't noticed any difference between the $10 or $15 plan for this.  But you have ssuggestions as to how that might be done as well. 

What I'm curious about is why the counter on my phone showed that my voicemail retrieval ended at 58 seconds but on my PM account usage is showing that it lasted 1.03 seconds (so 2 minutes used instead of one).

They say that all the system-routing time and ring time is added into the total time of the call. And then yes it rounds up to the next minute.

Okay thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

@zhengtuitu wrote:

As others here have suggested you can decide to ignore the voicemail instead of trying to disable it because you only use minutes when retrieving that voicemail.  I haven't noticed any difference between the $10 or $15 plan for this.  But you have ssuggestions as to how that might be done as well. 

What I'm curious about is why the counter on my phone showed that my voicemail retrieval ended at 58 seconds but on my PM account usage is showing that it lasted 1.03 seconds (so 2 minutes used instead of one).

They say that all the system-routing time and ring time is added into the total time of the call. And then yes it rounds up to the next minute.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@zhengtuitu wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lieux wrote:

@Anonymous Bein oui!!!! You are right..and I don't understand why...It's an outgoing call number and it doesn't count...??? Hum...

CalgaryBen has a particular philosophy of "test everything". So I test what I can. Smiley Wink

@Anonymous Bein oui!!!! You are right..and I don't understand why...It's an outgoing call number and it doesn't count...??? Hum...

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@zhengtuitu wrote:

What make/model is your phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zhengtuitu: Since I was tagged by someone: I suppose they could manually in the background but this thread has all you need.

@Alex888: My BB OS10 and a secondary phone running Windows Phone 8.1 can't

actually remove those forwarding options. As @mimmo said, the number can be changed to a non-answered number. But then for that, the caller will get a nasty error back. Also, that voicemail access number might be out of province for province-only plans.

@emad: I barely use my phone now. So I can't be bothered to see a notification of a voicemail and deal with it. I'll see the missed call notification of course.

@RobertQc: The only minutes that get used relating to voicemail are retrieving from the actual handset. The ring time is setable to a maximum 30 seconds.

@Lar: Keep scrolling down that page.

@Lieux: You're on the $10 plan. Try it. No minutes used.

I use the extended absence option as explained by RobertQc. A greeting saying use my other number and not allowing messages to be left.

But that's just me and my minimal telecom needs.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@zhengtuitu wrote:

Another way to do it with android it's to go in your settings and write a false number for forward..voicemail...for example 1-555-555-5555....Thank you @dzer2018 

20190406_121146.jpg

20190406_121305.jpg

@missorange wrote:

@RobertQc People with $10 plan, when sb leaves message, there is no charge. You only get charged if you retrieve message, but it is free if you retrieve from your home phone.

I am not agree with that...when someone leaves you a message it will count for the 50 minutes because it used your phone number.

EDITED...not right!! Thanks @Anonymous .

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@zhengtuitu wrote:

The best way to do this is to disable voicemail on your phone using a specific dial sequence. You just have to check if your phone model supports this option and if yes what that sequene is.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Another way to disable it similar to what @Alex888  mentioned is to forward to a non existant /made up number.  

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@RobertQc People with $10 plan, when sb leaves message, there is no charge. You only get charged if you retrieve message, but it is free if you retrieve from your home phone.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The last I looked at PM online directions there was no 5 as an end choice.

voice mail greeting.JPG

@emad wrote:

Why do you want to disable the voice mail? you get charged only for retrieving the message. 

@emad  There are many reasons. I seem to remember people also getting charged on the 50 minute plan when someone leaves you voicemail as well. @Anonymous can confirm this. The most common ones I know is so peoples phones can ring longer and some people don't like checking voicemail.

emad
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Why do you want to disable the voice mail? you get charged only for retrieving the message. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@zhengtuitu wrote:

@zhengtuitu 

This is no way disables it entirely. But you can stop people from leaving messages. Apparently, this is the way to do it.

"Call your PM telephone number from any  touch tone phone. Let it ring through to the voicemail prompt. While the answer prompt is running, hit "*" (asterisk). It'll pause a bit, then ask for your password. Enter the password that you have established for voicemail.

Once you're in the voicemail system,,,

Choose Greetings (3), then navigate to the "Extended Absence Greeting" (EAG) sub-option, then record anything you like (eg. "You have reached a data plan only subscriber. Sorry", then choose option "5" -- which will NOT allow callers to leave a message after hearing the EAG.

This effectively disables VM messages AND helps guide those that may call you."

- Thanks to @s2scotty

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@zhengtuituIt can't be cancelled, you can set it up with a message asking people not to leave a message.
If you have an android you can go to Call Forwarding settings, it will say something like Forward when busy, Forward when unanswered, and Forward when unreachable, go into each and remove the Public Mobile voicemail number so it can't be forwarded. The PM voicemail number is 1 581-580-4001.

Need Help? Let's chat.