cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Public Mobile to forward calls & texts?

greg5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We've moved to France for the year and I'd like to forward calls & texts from my BC mobile number to my French mobile number. Services like Number Barn, Tossable Digits & voip.ms are apparently unable to port my 604-885 number (Sechelt, BC). I believe I can move my number to Public Mobile though. Can I use call forwarding to send calls to France? I don't receive that many so I think the 100 minutes a month of the $15 plan would cover me. Is there a way to forward texts? Or be able to check them online?

Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@greg5 I guess you could port your number to a VOIP service like fongo and then you  should full control from your phone.

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/212437426-Keep-Your-Current-Phone-Number-Port-In-

@greg5 wrote:

Is there a way to start any of those services off with my phone number? I'm continuing to work for Canadian clients while abroad and would like all my prior contacts with my Canadian number to be able to reach me.

My phone and my Telus SIM are with me in France.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Fongo has a worldwide edition.

https://www.fongo.com/world/

It does not offer international call forwarding but it gives you a Canadian phone number so people don't need to call you LD.

mimmo

@geopublic wrote:

@greg5  Even if you could forward your PM calls to an international number you would still need to purchase the International minutes addon for your account. Having the 15 plan would not work.

You can setup a voip service forward your PM number to that service and have the call routed to France. If porting your number to a VOIP provider is not possible.

@geopublic   you cannot forward calls to non canadian numbers as  it is done on the network level and thus I believe does not access your account.

What I'm thinking of is an app called Airdroid? It's a wifi connection to your phone over the Internet. You're phone has to be in canada to receive calls. Your phone has to be set up with software and your pc has to be set up with the appropriate Airdroid software as well.

You can see your text messages, send them, and see your call history as well. Almost as good as voicemail. 

Never tried it from outside Canada, but it might be something to look into assuming you can get it back to Canada and setup. The sim could be sent and another PM compatible phone could be used as well.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@greg5  Even if you could forward your PM calls to an international number you would still need to purchase the International minutes addon for your account. Having the 15 plan would not work.

You can setup a voip service forward your PM number to that service and have the call routed to France. If porting your number to a VOIP provider is not possible.

mimmo

the easiest is to forward calls to a free fongo number and install fongo app on your phone.

for sms forwarding i have done it using an app on an oold android phone) the pm sim needs to be in an actve phone (on and connected to network) so it can receive sms and then forward them.  

as you are not in canada you would need to ask a frend to buy a sim in canada, do a sim swap in selfserve,  and install it in a phone to activate call forwarding and sms forwarding (if tehy have an old  unsued cell  phone)

greg5

Is there a way to start any of those services off with my phone number? I'm continuing to work for Canadian clients while abroad and would like all my prior contacts with my Canadian number to be able to reach me.

My phone and my Telus SIM are with me in France.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

An an alternative you could use wi-fi apps like Fongo, Whatsapp, TextNow, or Skype to call and text.

@greg5 

This quesiton has been asked in the past with people travel or moving abroad.  Unfortunately, it can't be done with Public mobile.  

Is your phone or sim still in Canada?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I don't think you can foward calls to an international number.  It has to be a ten digit number.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

greg5

iPhone

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

I maybe getting into an area I don't understand here, but Android or Iphone? And where is your PM phone?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@greg5 

Public mobile can only forward talk to Canadian number, not international.  Public mobile can't forward texts from my understanding.  

Need Help? Let's chat.