cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I port a number into an existing Public Mobile account?

rbonny
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My long-term number is currently assigned to an IP phone service. I understand there can be a delay when porting from an IP service to Public Mobile, just like there is when porting from a land line. I cannot have an interruption of service. Can I open a Public Mobile account which will automatically assign me a new number, and then port the number from my IP service into that account so it replaces the one that was automatically assigned with my long-term number?

6 REPLIES 6

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rbonny wrote:

My long-term number is currently assigned to an IP phone service. I understand there can be a delay when porting from an IP service to Public Mobile, just like there is when porting from a land line. I cannot have an interruption of service. Can I open a Public Mobile account which will automatically assign me a new number, and then port the number from my IP service into that account so it replaces the one that was automatically assigned with my long-term number?

Although my experience was not VOIP related it was with a Bell landline.  When I initiated the port request from my landline to a PM sim both phones could immediately call out but only one received calls.  It was weird, but at least there was no interruption or delay.

I called another phone from both my landline and my cell phone and call display on the third phone showed the same number (the one I was porting) for both phones.  Then, after three business days the port was complete and my landline went dead.  The best part about my experience was that I did not have to call Bell at all to cancel my account - it was done automatically!  I was dreading talking to a Bell agent who would have begged me to stay and forwarded me to a retention team which I was not interested in at all.

Maybe after your number port you can share your experience so that it can help someone else down the line.

Good luck.  Smiley Happy

rbonny
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

You can port any time but no company can promise no interuption of service during port.  It usually goes ok but porting problem can happen if you port now or later.  Stuff like number transfered and old account stops working but new account doesn't. Most time if there is porting problem the old service still works until complete.  You can't control porting delay.  Landline and voip take a while.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@rbonny 

You can get a PM number during activation.  After activation, you can use the self serve portal to port you VoIP number to PM.  

You can call out using your VoIP number.  But the incoming calls will continue to go to IP service until your number is ported to PM.

TK123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, that is EXACTLY how you should do that.

1) Set up with Public Mobile - they will assign you a number.

2) Ask Public Mobile to port in your IP number - this will take awhile, perhaps as much as a week.

3) Continue to receive IP calls as you currently do on the device you currently use.

4) You will know the port has been completed when you start receiving calls on your mobile phone. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@rbonny wrote:

Yes you can do that.  There could still be a delay before it is fully functional on your PM account. You may get where you can make calls and texts but aren't receiving them.  This is where the issue is of the port not fully complete yet.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.